Thread: Testing Server
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
You don't even need to sit for an hour to tell if someone is serious in learning how to script or not. I can usually tell in one or two threads made by the same person if they're interested in learning or just having things made for them/using them. And even so, it's would not be an interview of sorts, just a manner of advertising. If I'm talking to someone who I feel really wants to learn scripting, I can point them to the Testbed. If I'm talking to someone who gives me the feeling they just want others to make stuff for them... I just won't mention it. If they find out through alternative methods, I doubt Tig is going to just deny them, as I don't think he does any sort of pre-filtering. If anyone is denied access to Testbed, I think it's those who don't want to learn scripting, and those who have used and abused their access before.
Okay, since you apparently missed the main question in my previous post, excuse my satire.

More simply (even with bolding!):
If the server is not advertised (either via. recommendations or just Tig's idea of not doing it at all), that means less people will see it than previously, when anyone with the client could learn.

I'm asking:
  • Is it okay to lose those people?
  • Will the people who want to learn always take the initiative to go find that server, or with your method, go find someone to talk to?
  • Is this centralized system of learning we have sufficient compared to the decentralized one we had before?

These are the questions we should be asking, not how we should handle stripping out false positives.