View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
What defines a server is rarely ever found in the base systems used; it is defined by plot, gameplay, coherency, and innovation.

Supplying other developers and server admins with these packages could get all the "crud" out of the way and allow them to focus on the more important things that actually define the server.

If you suggest that many servers using the same systems is a bad idea, you probably shouldn't even be developing on Graal, which is in fact a system itself.

The packages won't be mandatory to use, and they won't limit development freedom; someone could still go and develop a new innovative system if required for their server concept.

Trust me, I'm not the one that takes a toll when I stop developing for Graal, so choose your words wisely. The same would apply for all active developers, since we all do this voluntarily and gain nothing out of it except self-satisfaction, so the more you run around telling people not to develop for the game, the more it will die out.

As for the packages, yes, it would defeat the purpose of learning how to script for the newer players and would decrease the need of scripters when managers can just install packages developed by the team and save themselves the trouble of looking for a scripter. It's fine for something like a global tailor or a global guild system, but adding in full systems that would need close to nothing to tweak to get a server running would be a bad idea and there would be too many servers with the same gameplay systems applying for hosted and classic. There's a reason why others get angry when full scripts are posted on the forums when answering player-related questions since those players will just copy-and-paste the script and not bother to learn anything from it.

There is a fine line of systems that would be suitable for the packages and systems that define a server cross that line. Basic core systems are fine, but you're arguing with me when I'm talking about full systems, which leads me to believe that you would want the team to script such systems for everyone to use which would be a massive mistake.