View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Why not? It seems like it would be in Graal's best interest that the levels dude can get a world up and running as soon as possible, so he should be handed the version of the server that is the furthest progressed.
While I don't disagree with you, under the current guidelines it's quite impossible - the levels are property of Insano the Past Owner, and it would be considered theft (by some) for Graal to use it once Insano's burnt down his server. It's theft for Developo the LAT Admin to use it too. One could argue that there's still the disclaimer "All content submitted becomes property of GraalOnline.com", but if Graal starts flexing that muscle one must ask why anyone's asked to pay for that privelege.
Quote:
Stuff like that can be posted on either wiki, the scripting forum and graal.net, no?
I do not really see a lot of people contributing interoperable quality scripts, though.
Not as such - the Wiki doesn't have a lot of FileSpace for uploading ganis, graphics, levelfiles, etc.

But then, I think there should be a GPack filetype - a sort of Custom Graal Zip Format, just for backing up servers and transferring entire NPCs, etc. (graphics, classes and all)
Quote:
Did you ever come up with a concrete design or mockup implementation of Hubworld?
Design yes, mockup not-yet. I just haven't had the time, ironically - all of last week I was bored to tears and would have, had I known Stefan had any interest in designing the necessary technology to allow Servers to communicate with one another. Now they're working me from the moment they drag me outta bed to the moment I'm allowed to sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magadal View Post
@Tyhm -> Owner = Owner, he gives the rights he wants to give to the people who need them (or he wants them to have the rights he gives them)..
Sure, okay. But if it's Owner, why are we even discussing what happens if an Owner goes rogue? They can't, they're in charge, they can't break the law because they ARE the law. If they decide their server's gonna be DBZ themed and they're gonna ban anyone who says Inu Yasha, they're not "Wrong", because they Own that territory and set their own rules. If they decide, with a reliable 300 playercount, that they don't like Unixmad anymore and are going to delete every last shred of their server - and forbid anyone from ever making another server like it, least of all their levels administrator - they Own that content (and more dastardly, the guy who made it doesn't), and that's their right.

And that sucks. If nobody's using the content, you should be allowed to use it.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233