Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Feature request (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Account naming (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134261915)

Fogell 02-01-2011 04:22 AM

Account naming

Out of all the things I hope for in Graal's future, I want account naming back the most. Why? Because it makes things much easier, many servers use your account name for events, tags, etc. having to deal with a boggled numbers can be stressful for us noobs ^.^

RegretZ 02-01-2011 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogell (Post 1627032)
Out of all the things I hope for in Graal's future, I want account naming back the most. Why? Because it makes things much easier, many servers use your account name for events, tags, etc. having to deal with a boggled numbers can be stressful for us noobs ^.^

Why don't they just bring back classic accounts while they're at it? :rolleyes:

Fogell 02-01-2011 04:36 AM

I think with them knowing that they can get about 36.00 € annually from all the players, plus the 2000 mutual classic iphone players, I don't see that happening any time soon. >_<

Unkownsoldier 02-01-2011 04:41 AM

I'll pos rep anyone who dereps Regrasstz or w.e his name is.

Fulg0reSama 02-01-2011 04:48 AM

I'll doodle for anyone who kicks U.S in the balls and neg reps him.

Fogell 02-01-2011 04:55 AM

What he said-^ oh wait...

MrOmega 02-01-2011 06:15 AM

This has been brought up before and won't change, servers should be using player.communityname, not player.account. Contact Tig or a PWA and they'll get it resolved.

fowlplay4 02-01-2011 06:30 AM

Rather than take steps back, we should take two forward.

1. All accounts should be allowed to choose a community name.
2. Subscription Model (gold/classic/trial) removed.

Also UN update your legacy scripts already, you've had the last 7~ years to.

cbk1994 02-01-2011 12:41 PM

Classic accounts should be allowed to change their community names once (and maybe later for 50 gelats or something.) This would allow classic players who hate their account names to get new ones. It would also put more pressure on developers to write scripts that don't use account names publicly.

The only real problem with the community name system is that there is poor script support for it (i.e. no way to find an account for a community name or vica-versa, even though it has been requested.) There are also several RC bugs.

Demisis_P2P 02-01-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994 (Post 1627121)
Classic accounts should be allowed to change their community names once (and maybe later for 50 gelats or something.) This would allow classic players who hate their account names to get new ones. It would also put more pressure on developers to write scripts that don't use account names publicly.

The only real problem with the community name system is that there is poor script support for it (i.e. no way to find an account for a community name or vica-versa, even though it has been requested.) There are also several RC bugs.

I tried to rep you for this post but I gotta spread rep.
I agree with everything.

MrOmega 02-01-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994 (Post 1627121)

I've always used findPlayer( account).communityname and findPlayerByCommunityName( cname).account for when I've been wanting to do that. Also, since not every player has a community name set I usually do
PHP Code:

temp.pl findPlayeraccount);
temp.pName = !( temp.pl.communityname)? temp.pl.accounttemp.pl.communityname 

Just to avoided the annoyance, but as stated in that thread, offline accounts, well, there's no support. I worked around this awhile ago by making a DBNPC and putting account in an array, then whenever the player logged on, if their account was in their, then some function would run. I agree with the RC issues, usually communitynames are easier to remember than accounts.

MattKan 02-01-2011 05:12 PM

What's the other side of this issue? Was there a problem with account naming before it stopped being supported? I really wish we could name our accounts, but at the same time there might be a good reason for why this was removed. But if it wasn't causing problems, then it would be very nice to have back. I agree with everything everyone else has said so far.

Crow 02-01-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier (Post 1627036)
I'll pos rep anyone who dereps Regrasstz or w.e his name is.

You can't give positive reputation :noob:

MrOmega 02-01-2011 05:59 PM

The only issue with renaming account (this goes for community names as well) is that lets say account MrFoo has >9000 widgets on a server and this data is saved in a DB. Now he renames himself to MrBar and then account MrBaz renames himself to MrFoo. The previous account MrBaz (Now MrFoo) has access to all those widgets.

fowlplay4 02-01-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOmega (Post 1627154)
(this goes for community names as well)

If you use community name as a unique identifier/key to the account data then yes it will otherwise no.