Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   PlayerWorlds Main Forum (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What's Modern? (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134256224)

Seich 09-28-2009 11:47 PM

What's Modern?

I've been moving around the modern servers for almost 2 years now. I've been almost always, whenever I've talked about one of the modern servers I've worked on, been described as an Era/AnyOtherModernServerName clone. I recently started thinking about what modern servers have been doing wrong. So, I want to ask the general public: What would take for a new modern server not to be considered a clone of some previous modern server? From my experience with Noctorious, people seem to like the basic era remake ._. I wanted to have a strong and important economic system in Noctorious but, this was quickly dumped as players didn't really like the idea and would usually go with something along the lines of "why don't you do this like Era's <something>?". Are this people what a friend of mine once defined as an "era reject looking for a new era where he can be something" or is this a more general opinion of what people consider an ideal modern server? Is era already perfect and thus, any other modern server will automatically be disposed of? Opinions will allow current and future modern servers to improve.

My opinion about the matter is that, no one really knows what they want. As what we have defined as "modern" is basically based around Era. It can be frustrating to fight against the fact that you will most likely, be compared with Era anytime you mention anything about a modern server. I can't really think of a way to move forward and create something based upon this idea of what modern is. Does it mean that era should be the only modern server? I really think that the staff team at Noctorious actually achieved something even though, it was never completed as originally intended. I think that at least the server was made with a very high quality standard having a general look and feel that was overall way better than many other modern servers.

So what do you think? I apologize if it seems a little messy ._. since, I just wrote it as it came out of my mind.

salesman 09-29-2009 12:42 AM

To me modern means that the theme/period in time in which the server takes place is, well, modern. I've worked on an RTS server and a matches server which both had a modern theme, but I wouldn't consider anything like Era.

If you try to make a modern RPG, you're always going to be compared with Era.

DustyPorViva 09-29-2009 12:46 AM

Modern is having blurry textured sidewalks and chalk-drawn street lane lines.

oo_jazz_oo 09-29-2009 12:47 AM

From the name, one would expect 'Modern' to mean...present day. Now.

So, you would think a 'Modern Server' would include houses...cars...cities, banks, stores, jobs, etc.

But so far, just about every 'Modern Server' has been a "Take this gun and go shoot someone" server.
So, now the term modern is basically 'gun server'. There are alot of things you can do with a modern theme.

But people always seem to go back to the one thing that links to Era. Guns.

Guns guns guns guns guns. They make up 70+% of a modern server.
Every aspect...gameplay - Shoot people to get kills.
Events - shoot people to win.
Gangs - shoot other gangs.
Even certain jobs...bounty hunters. You shoot people.

And for those people who dont wanna run around shooting people, who try to do other jobs, talk with people, do w/e they want. Get shot.

I'm done with this right now, because i have to go do something.

But the point im making...modern servers are always seen as era clones, because...thats really what they are. If you base your server around guns and shooting people, and then just randomly throw in some small jobs here and there.

Thats era.

Nataxo 09-29-2009 01:07 AM

kind of "real life" styled, in the sense of having cars, buildings, guns etc but it can be a totally different story.

Switch 09-29-2009 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nataxo (Post 1525799)
kind of "real life" styled, in the sense of having cars, buildings, guns etc but it can be a totally different story.

You realize in real life people don't walk around with guns shooting people all day without consequences?

Luda 09-29-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Switch (Post 1525896)
You realize in real life people don't walk around with guns shooting people all day without consequences?

Welcome to Rio de Janerio: Graal

Pimmeh 09-29-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda (Post 1525924)
Welcome to Rio de Janerio: Graal

Haha, that'd be an awesome idea XD

Geno 09-29-2009 04:23 PM

in relation to graal, guns instead of swords.

Galdor 09-29-2009 05:36 PM

It's our beloved zelda like graphics but with guns, cars and gangs I think it should be banned its just horrible to see.

Deas_Voice 09-30-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salesman (Post 1525788)
If you try to make a modern RPG, you're always going to be compared with Era.

how can u not make a server without "roleplay"?
oh and, when someone say RPG, i think magic, swords, races ect ;)

salesman 09-30-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deas_Voice (Post 1526402)

be creative? There's more than just "roleplay", and Graal's engine is more than capable of handling them.

Soala 09-30-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deas_Voice (Post 1526402)
oh and, when someone say RPG, i think magic, swords, races ect ;)

Yeah, everyone think about magic and sword stuff by hearing "RPG"
But it's more than that.

Oh please, SIMS.

Old_Days 10-03-2009 12:12 AM

Well to be honest people like to put out more then they like to put in, meaning that they will be the quickest to judge you, rather than help you think of new ideas. No matter what we do with a modern server, take Noctorious for example, its not going to please everyone.

Crono 10-03-2009 12:46 AM

The only modern non-era clone that I have ever been aware of was Bravo Evolved.