Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   NPC Scripting (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Global chat enabled again (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79468)

Admins 04-19-2008 10:31 PM

Global chat enabled again

3 Attachment(s)
There is a new entry in the Graal start menu "Global Chat" which lets you use the Graal chat channels even with the client / scripted RC. I've also added some small stuff (green color for the chatter name, display when someone is joining).

Update: oops forgot to add the screenshot, here it is

cbk1994 04-19-2008 10:37 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.

Tigairius 04-19-2008 10:50 PM

Nice, I was wondering when this would happen.

Rapidwolve24 04-20-2008 12:38 AM

Nobody ever uses this...

I would like to see some changes made to it.

Rufus 04-20-2008 12:44 AM

Every server I log onto, I get a PM from "IRCBot_Dev_FireHunter (on #Dev_FireHunter)" saying "Welcome to Dev_FireHunter's IRC Channel" no matter where it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapidwolve24 (Post 1386822)
Nobody ever uses this...

I doubt anyone ever will, I mean we do have PM's, Mass Messaging, and toalling along with various local chat NPC's (that are never used) so I don't know why anyone would use a global chatroom really.

Skyld 04-20-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 1386823)
I doubt anyone ever will, I mean we do have PM's, Mass Messaging, and toalling along with various local chat NPC's (that are never used) so I don't know why anyone would use a global chatroom really.

Scripts cannot interact with PMs or toalls, but they can with the chat. If there is some scripted system (like the old Marketplace one I created on Era) that people want, then people will use it.

Rapidwolve24 04-20-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Every server I log onto, I get a PM from "IRCBot_Dev_FireHunter (on #Dev_FireHunter)" saying "Welcome to Dev_FireHunter's IRC Channel" no matter where it is.

Every server I log onto, restates whoever is in the room with a "<account> has joined <channel>"

Quote:

Not really the fact that its a global chatroom, but because of how there isn't one 'Global' room that everyone is connected to. It could use some visual work too.

Rufus 04-20-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld (Post 1386824)
Scripts cannot interact with PMs or toalls, but they can with the chat. If there is some scripted system (like the old Marketplace one I created on Era) that people want, then people will use it.

Scripts can't interact with PMs or toalls? Fair enough.. I can't imagine any need for scripts to interact with PMs or toalls to begin with. After all, these features are methods of communication. If people use this then great! it's a success!! I can't say I can entirely see that happening though, but I hope I am proven wrong, script interaction and all.

cbk1994 04-20-2008 04:19 AM

Now make private channels for guilds, and allow servers to create channels through script that only specified accounts can be in.

zokemon 04-22-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbkbud (Post 1386884)
Now make private channels for guilds, and allow servers to create channels through script that only specified accounts can be in.

Yes please! :)

Eranian 04-22-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbkbud (Post 1386884)

There is no point in allowing scripts to create account locked channels.
If you want to make a staff only channel just use RC to chat.
If you want players to be able to make a channel for their friends they can already chat with friends only by using a guild tag and toguild:

Instead you should try to diversify it even more and merge all of the existing channels into just a General chat channel for all servers. And then maybe also make one other channel for Development help or something.

cbk1994 04-22-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eranian (Post 1387180)
There is no point in allowing scripts to create account locked channels.
If you want to make a staff only channel just use RC to chat.
If you want players to be able to make a channel for their friends they can already chat with friends only by using a guild tag and toguild:

Instead you should try to diversify it even more and merge all of the existing channels into just a General chat channel for all servers. And then maybe also make one other channel for Development help or something.

:rolleyes:

You need to think broader. Do you know how limited guilds are?

What if I want more than one chat?

What if it's not for staff?

This way servers can make channels for different things. Like in the new SoG, we could make Guilds, Teams (different than Guilds), whole server, etc.

And, one channel with 500+ players would get crazy, depending on how many people used it.

Horrified 04-22-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eranian (Post 1387180)

That's like logging into a random chatroom and wathing random ad bots constantly sending messages, except replace those messages with yo mamma and homophobic people making fun of the stuff they fear.