Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   NPC Scripting (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Howto Hitpoint System (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50809)

Admins 02-02-2004 01:15 PM

Howto Hitpoint System

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached a little documentation about scripting an custom hitpoint system, I hope it is usefull.

URBANLEGEND 02-02-2004 03:04 PM

Nice stefan. I never knew you could actualy do it with an npcs server.

WanDaMan 02-02-2004 03:15 PM

I'm going back to school later, I've downloaded and will read it later :)

adam 02-02-2004 05:39 PM

It's excellent.

Although I wonder how much the npcserver will like it when 100 players are all hacking away at eachother? It best not get overwhelmed.

osrs 02-02-2004 05:43 PM

Nice.

Blue_Dragn 02-02-2004 08:38 PM

Re: Howto Hitpoint System

Quote:

Originally posted by Stefan
I have attached a little documentation about scripting an custom hitpoint system, I hope it is usefull.
Im not very well understanding why it would be so required to put all that stress on the npcserver if you have a substancial amount of people playing, its possibile to do most if not all of that clientside.

To my understanding as well people who use "string hackers" to hack the client. strings of the game need to know the string name.

Why would you not be able to make a similar system only with more clientside refrence?

GoZelda 02-02-2004 10:47 PM

Shouldn't this go to scripting forum? :\

lol i thought this had been posted in playerworlds forum. Looks nice Stefan, probably is very useful ^_~

Riot 02-02-2004 11:36 PM

Re: Re: Howto Hitpoint System

Quote:

Originally posted by Blue_Dragn

Im not very well understanding why it would be so required to put all that stress on the npcserver if you have a substancial amount of people playing, its possibile to do most if not all of that clientside.

To my understanding as well people who use "string hackers" to hack the client. strings of the game need to know the string name.

Why would you not be able to make a similar system only with more clientside refrence?

In the examples Stefan used clientr. flags, which is read-only to the client. So unless the person has access to the RC or makes a serverside NPC change it, its pretty much secure from that. Hence the reason for serverside calling.

Python523 02-03-2004 01:02 AM

Re: Re: Howto Hitpoint System

Quote:

Originally posted by Blue_Dragn

Fool. Security should be a necessity

Duwul 02-03-2004 02:52 AM

Very nice Stefan. I learned 2 new functions from that, getnearestplayers, and getareanpcs. =D

Dach 02-03-2004 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Duwul
Very nice Stefan. I learned 2 new functions from that, getnearestplayers, and getareanpcs. =D
What? oh, shoot, well whatever, updated the thingy... Hey stefan, when are you gonna upadate the commands .rtf? or atleast add mine to the main download? huh huh *nuchdge* *nudge* sorry about the types, my keyboard wont enter or backspance right :(

Admins 02-03-2004 03:49 AM

I can possibly add yours. There will be more documentation for v3.1 scripting engine once it is released.

About clientside-system: a hitpoint-system should be secure and easy to use. On serverside you can build a database of objects which you can use to influence the hitpoint system, e.g. weapon strength and armour. If you don't script bad stuff into the hp functions then speed shouldn't be a problem at all. With 100 players playing on Graal Kingdoms the HP system uses less than 1% of the cpu time, although it's doing quite complicated hitpoint calculations.
On most Graal servers the clientside scripts are a much bigger speed problem (I have seen servers with quite slow clientside weapon scripts which then lag the players while the npcserver is bored)

adam 02-03-2004 03:59 AM

Aight, I'll take your word for it.

Thank you for the input.

How about compiled particle engine??
Want to use my script as a refrence ;)

GoZelda 02-03-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stefan
I can possibly add yours. There will be more documentation for v3.1 scripting engine once it is released.
Don't forget i was to first one to a release an updated commands.rtf for public :(

Python523 02-03-2004 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GoZelda

Don't forget i was to first one to a release an updated commands.rtf for public :(

Don't flatter yourself, Dach/Chad released one before you even came to the forums.