Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   PlayerWorlds Main Forum (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What I have been up to, and don't get excited (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134259069)

DustyPorViva 05-06-2010 09:10 AM

What I have been up to, and don't get excited

5 Attachment(s)
Over six months ago I started a project of my own. This project was intended to be a simple hobby of sorts to pass time and be a creative output.

This project spawned from my imagination as to what I could do with Classic if I had reworked it with my ideas. I am a very old player from Classic, who played the earlier versions(pre-P2P) of Classic, if it should even be called that. Thus, many of my ideas have grown from very old perspectives. For example, the layout of the overworld is structured after the very original layout, nostalgic areas returned, old names... These were all something I related to, so they had a big impact on the directions I took.

I spent a month or less offline working on the overworld and various graphics, fleshing out ideas. I took the original overworld and converted it to a gmap. Then I sat and took all those levels and updated and fixed them up into an original overworld. Then I took it online with a 6-month subscription and I worked on it when I had free time and felt like it. Like I said, this was to have fun, not to be stressed. I worked on scripts here and there, and my original ideas started to fall apart. See, I wanted to originally have everything work with default, I wanted things to be kept simple! But as I added on ideas I started to realize default, as it was, was too limited. I had to rescript EVERYTHING from scratch. Movement, hit detection, horses... everything. The more I worked on it, the more complicated things got. I had a full movement system with various functions interwoven with other various systems... it was much more of a mess than I had originally hoped.

Months passed as I worked on it here and there... but as time went I started working on it less. After a few months I started to realize I had learned a lot in terms of scripting and I wasn't happy with my scripts anymore. However, I didn't have the drive to rescript and restructure the whole server from the ground-up again and I started losing motivation. Six months are up and the server is about to go down and I have no desire to continue it.

Regardless of it all, I enjoyed my time I spent working on this server. I kept it underwraps through the months because I didn't take the server as seriously as a server deserves to be taken, and I didn't want it to get any hype that would eventually lead to disappointment. My hopes was to work on it for fun, and maybe, just maybe it would all piece together and I'd eventually have a server to release for the players. Of course it didn't work out like that, but I have learned a lot and it was a great experience.

Here is a crappy video of some various mechanics(it really IS a crappy video. I'm not good at video editing at all so I just slapped it in Windows Movie Maker and threw in a song), as well as some screenshots.

I'm not sure how many people are aware, but the image in my sig links to an image that I updated of the server every so often... sort of a subtle advertisement of sorts. The image represents a Pheonix rising from a Graal, representing the rebirth of Classic.

Attachment 51009
Attachment 51010
Attachment 51011
Attachment 51012
Attachment 51013

To close, there is a lot I just can't put into words. The amount of planning I had put into, ideas that were never brought to live(thus screenshots or videos can never show). For example, I had planned to turn the quest for Graal's into a huge interactive quest for all players to get involved. It involved exploring and finding the four hard-to-find shrines. Each would have a large Guardian that you had to defeat to claim the Graal. Each color guard(for each color Graal) had various strengths and weaknesses. The Graal's weren't clientside. Only one person could hold a Graal at a time. Eventually after all four Graal's were claimed you could return them to a large Shrine that would make an island raise out of the ocean that lead to the Golden Realm. Any player could enter it then, and it would stay raised for a few hours, or days.

I wanted things like that to bring the community together. Either to fight together to all reap the benefits of the Golden Realm, or to fight and claim the Graal's for themselves. I also planned for a lot of random stat keeping for fun(how many bushes were slashed, chicken's killed, times you slashed your sword...). Also planned to introduce new content in an 'in-character' sort of way. For example, an earthquake would shake the screens of all the players, and a townsfolk NPC would run to populated areas, screaming of what she had seen. Players who missed it could go to the nearby Fortune Teller and have them recount recent events, which would tip them off as to where to go... various things like that. Like I said, many things I can't document, and really pointless to do so regardless.

DustyPorViva 05-06-2010 09:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Also, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask me. I can't really think of what I should talk about, but I'm still interested in making sure nothing is in the dark about this.

Attachment 51014
Attachment 51015
Attachment 51016
Attachment 51017
Attachment 51018

DustyPorViva 05-06-2010 09:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Other things :)

Attachment 51019
Attachment 51020
Attachment 51021

And lastly, I include the dump of all my work :)

Like I said in my original post, the scripting could probably use some heavy reworking(and is not cleaned up in the slightest), but I think some people might be able to learn/use it :)

Anyways, I'm tired as hell, so maybe I will add what I can find to this thread later, as the zip is just a dump of what was on the server... not necessarily everything that I made for it. I just don't like anything going to waste!

Oh yes, I may have forgot to mention it, but this project is dead for me, so I won't be revisiting it... hence why it is here. I may just eventually keep posting the ideas and such I had for this project in this thread, so they don't go to waste either.

Luda 05-06-2010 09:24 AM

Shame this didn't get finished. I love pretty much everything about it.

Umat 05-06-2010 10:26 AM

Wow... Just, wow! I love so much of this stuff. The cliff climbing, the enter/leaving level transitions, the (somewhat) realistic bombs, the new graphics, the holes in the walls. Wow. Too bad you won't finish this, as this looks more realistic and professional than anything I've seen in... ages(ever?) on graal.

:)

EDIT:

Hell, I could even pay for another 6 months on your server if that would motivate you to keep on working on it.

Sp_lit 05-06-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umat (Post 1574444)
this looks more realistic and professional than anything I've seen in... ages(ever?) on graal.

I have to agree with my fellow compatriot, this looks very nice! You've really put some effort into this, which you really can tell by looking at it!

Very nice work, too bad you won't finish it though :)

Demisis_P2P 05-06-2010 11:40 AM

A+++
Umat summed up my thoughts exactly.

If somebody wants to pick this up and try to finish it I'd be willing to chip in some $ for a server as well.

Maybe get in contact with whoever is in charge of Classic at the moment and see if they want this?

Soala 05-06-2010 11:45 AM

I'm ready to mix everything with my own server to make it worthwhile :cool:

cbk1994 05-06-2010 01:15 PM

I love you Dusty.

maximus_asinus 05-06-2010 01:55 PM

Wow Dusty, simply amazing.

Deas_Voice 05-06-2010 02:50 PM

*speak-less* :megaeek:

wow.
awesome.

Elk 05-06-2010 03:01 PM

Hehe, I knew you did something ;) nice turnout!

Grey 05-06-2010 03:38 PM

Adore it!

Shame its a dead project because I would have happily lent my time to this.

Imperialistic 05-06-2010 04:04 PM

Holy ****ing ****.

Dusty it's very upsetting that you gave up on this project. This is the best work I've ever seen.

Rep+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sp_lit 05-06-2010 04:06 PM

I just feel that this can't be said enough; awesome job. You should be proud :)