Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Questions about V6 (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Linux Remote Control (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134261152)

Soala 11-24-2010 11:43 AM

Linux Remote Control

Soooooo I'm on Linux Mint 10 on my netbook for developement purposes at school, and I'm having quite some problems installing RC.

First, I've switched to LM only a few days ago, so I'm not really used to this environment.

Here is what I did:

Downloaded rc.gz on the website
--> sudo gunzip rc.tgz
It gave me rc.tar, I then extracted files from rc.tar and did: sudo apt-get install rc (which was the folder I extracted). It told me everything installed fine, but then I cannot find remote control anywhere on Linux.

Did I do anything wrong? Any tips on how to install remote control? I'm such noob with linux :D

Deas_Voice 11-24-2010 12:23 PM

Edit2: you have to unziping the folder and poof u got RC...
place it w/e u want; i placed it in /.graal/rc/

Edit1: "tgz" is a "zip" file

Edir3: "sudo" is just a command to get root access, such as "run as administrator", it should only be used when doing things that requires rights that a normal user don't get to have, such as if ur going to edit/add/remove something outside of '/home/'

lol i totally busted my post w/ edits :cool:

Soala 11-24-2010 01:07 PM

Ya I know what sudo is, I just do it all the time. Nothing wrong with that right?
The thing is that there is nothing I can run in the RC folder, so how unzipping it in the graal folder will help? I'll try it soon anyway, got exams right now :D

Deas_Voice 11-24-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soala (Post 1613134)
Ya I know what sudo is, I just do it all the time. Nothing wrong with that right?
The thing is that there is nothing I can run in the RC folder, so how unzipping it in the graal folder will help? I'll try it soon anyway, got exams right now :D

the "rc" is the file you have to run :p
moving it wouldnt do much difference, since all images for rc is in that folder :)
doesn't have to be in graal folder, that's just where i have it.

Soala 11-24-2010 02:13 PM

Okay but how do I run the folder I extracted? I marked it as an executable (allow to run blabla... in properties) but I don't know what to do next. =(

Deas_Voice 11-24-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soala (Post 1613141)
Okay but how do I run the folder I extracted? I marked it as an executable (allow to run blabla... in properties) but I don't know what to do next. =(

try with opening the file in Terminal ("cd" to the folder and then ./rc to launch it)
tell me the results.

cyan3 11-24-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soala (Post 1613141)

Run the executable RC application in the terminal and see if you have the dependencies installed to use the RC.

For example on Ubuntu I had to install: libgtksourceview1.0-0 for RC to work.

You also might want to check this page: http://wiki.graal.net/index.php/Crea..._Control/Linux

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deas_Voice (Post 1613143)
try with opening the file in Terminal ("cd" to the folder and then ./rc to launch it)
tell me the results.

lol I was totally writing the same thing as you.

Deas_Voice 11-24-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyan3 (Post 1613144)
lol I was totally writing the same thing as you.

^^

yeah, i thought about the lib error too, but i was unsure if there was a post or something about it, so i took the safe side and asked him to do that instead of just saying "this is your error, heres how u fix it"

edit: i posted 2 mins before thought >:0!

cyan3 11-24-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deas_Voice (Post 1613146)
edit: i posted 2 mins before thought >:0!

I know ^^ I had to do something irl after I opened the reply screen.

Soala 11-24-2010 03:47 PM

Thanks guys everything works fine, I followed all instructions from the wiki page. Now I only need to fix my IP haha.
Next time I think I'll look at the wiki first, I didn't know there were such articles about Linux on it.

Thanks again!

cyan3 11-24-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soala (Post 1613154)
Thanks guys everything works fine, I followed all instructions from the wiki page. Now I only need to fix my IP haha.
Next time I think I'll look at the wiki first, I didn't know there were such articles about Linux on it.

Thanks again!

The page is quite new (I made it in March) but I guess its serving it's purpose if It helped you ^^

Zeke_iPhoneGP 11-25-2010 12:56 AM

hehe you helped me with my rc too :)

RegretZ 11-30-2010 11:08 PM

I would have linux, but my laptop can't hold more than about....3 gb. Yeah, it's pretty sad.

Soala 11-30-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegretZ (Post 1614387)
I would have linux, but my laptop can't hold more than about....3 gb. Yeah, it's pretty sad.

3GB diskspace? are you sure it's a laptop?
Also, most of Linux distros are lightweight (700MB-ish iso, 1GB-ish installed)

if you're talking about RAM, then it's more than enough
I run it fine on a netbook, why would it suck on a laptop???

Zeke_iPhoneGP 12-01-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegretZ (Post 1614387)

lol regret, if you're desperate, just run it off an external storage device (you should have more than 3 gb) xD?