Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Feature request (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   notification..? please ? (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81851)

Elizabeth 09-15-2008 08:42 PM

notification..? please ?

it would be REALLY nice if there was a notification for when you had a new rep or visitor message..

see at the "user panel" button i put a (1) example, except the font would be normal.

please?

Darlene159 09-15-2008 09:00 PM

It's like one click to see your rep.

Elizabeth 09-15-2008 09:07 PM

and it could be zero clicks.

one click to see that you have NO new anything?

thats like not having the notifications for inbox messages.
"it's like one click to see if you have any new inbox messages"

and inbox messages are probably used less than reps & wall messages.

Darlene159 09-15-2008 09:46 PM

Well, I believe you have to go into the CP to do all kinds of other stuff. I believe that is where the notifications for friend requests are.
You have to go into the CP to go to the Social Groups, and see profile messages, and to make any changes for the forums.
I dont see the point

Elizabeth 09-15-2008 09:59 PM

you ALSO have to go into the inbox to make a new message, read messages, or read sent messages.

why would they put notfications for something that has much less things to do than usercp?

you'd think that they'd put notifications for something that you can do much more in, so that you wouldn't have to go through everything to see if something is new.

also, to view your social group you have to go into the user cp. what if someone replies to your post and you don't find out till weeks later, because no one took the time to notify you?

Darlene159 09-15-2008 10:13 PM

Wouldnt kill you to click on the user cp once when you are on to see messages, really.

Crono1508 09-15-2008 10:30 PM

Not necessary, as stated above, its one click away... "Oh my god! "

DarkReaper0 09-16-2008 12:52 AM

No, but it certainly wouldn't kill anyone to add a (1) to User CP.

"Oh My God it's so much work!"

LoneAngelIbesu 09-16-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkReaper0 (Post 1423849)

It's not exactly easy to modify vBulletin. It's an extremely complex PHP/MySQL script. True, you could probably isolate where PM notification is scripted (assuming it's in one place), then figure out how reputation and visitor messages work, and then find a way to implement PM notification for reputation and visitor messages. But, that's also assuming that reputation and visitor messages are written in a way where notifications are easily possible. You guys have to remember that GraalOnline didn't script this forum, the reputations, visitor messages, blogs, etc. They were all scripted by people, who are intimately knowledgeable of vBulletin's cores, that spent days upon days (sometimes weeks, depending on the objective) working things in to a vBulletin.

Long story short: something that is trivial -- like adding a number next to "User CP" -- isn't always easy.

Skyld 09-16-2008 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 1423767)
and it could be zero clicks.

one click to see that you have NO new anything?

thats like not having the notifications for inbox messages.
"it's like one click to see if you have any new inbox messages"

and inbox messages are probably used less than reps & wall messages.

Tell your suggestions to the vBulletin developer team. The moderators or admins here cannot edit the vBulletin code that much since it is quite strictly licensed and possibly even encoded by Zend Optimiser, so there's nothing that anyone here can do to bring your suggestions to light, so please stop posting these threads.

Tigairius 09-16-2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld (Post 1423862)
Tell your suggestions to the vBulletin developer team. The moderators or admins here cannot edit the vBulletin code that much since it is quite strictly licensed and possibly even encoded by Zend Optimiser, so there's nothing that anyone here can do to bring your suggestions to light, so please stop posting these threads.

Thought about posting this, but he beat me to it :cool:

Darlene159 09-16-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkReaper0 (Post 1423849)

It's a lot easier for members to click the user cp, then it is to edit code to put that one there, if it can even be done

Nataxo 09-16-2008 04:08 PM

I agree with lizzy.

Nataxo 09-16-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene159 (Post 1423864)
if it can even be done

Stefan knws magic tricks to make this happen in less than 30 seconds,rlly.

DarkRenji 09-16-2008 04:11 PM

Ok so its a little work for one person to make the (1) to see new rep and such

or thats all the members having to click to check...

Skyld 09-16-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkRenji (Post 1423945)
Ok so its a little work for one person to make the (1) to see new rep and such

or thats all the members having to click to check...

Learn to read:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld

Rufus 09-16-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld (Post 1423862)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigairius (Post 1423863)
Thought about posting this, but he beat me to it :cool:

You should both be well aware that there is a mass amount of addons, plugins and modifications for vBulletin (including what Elizabeth is asking for) without having to "edit the code" and the request she made is basically just a header template modification and a plugin upload probably. Don't act as though it'd take some strenuous hard editing of the software, because it really would not.

Elizabeth 09-16-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene159 (Post 1423766)
It's like one click to see your rep.

seriously though, is it THAT much trouble for stefan to take 30seconds away from his work to add a user cp notification? he could even get someone else to do it if he couldnt do it!

Darlene159 09-16-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 1424016)
seriously though, is it THAT much trouble for stefan to take 30seconds away from his work to add a user cp notification? he could even get someone else to do it if he couldnt do it!

I wouldnt know how hard it is. I cant access that part. I do know it isnt hard to click on one link though.

Elizabeth 09-16-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene159 (Post 1424036)
I wouldnt know how hard it is. I cant access that part. I do know it isnt hard to click on one link though.

i wasn't referring to you.
it would be even easier to just put the notification there

Darlene159 09-16-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 1424053)
i wasn't referring to you.
it would be even easier to just put the notification there

Oh, I am assuming that you are familiar with the coding of vbulletin then?

Elizabeth 09-16-2008 10:11 PM

i never referred to myself, either?

stefan would OBVIOUSLY pick someone who was familiar with it... ?

CharlieM 09-16-2008 10:32 PM

just look up add-ons for vbulletin I can almost guarantee that there is an add-on that does that and would cause them no more trouble then a few moments time

Darlene159 09-16-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 1424067)
i never referred to myself, either?

stefan would OBVIOUSLY pick someone who was familiar with it... ?

You said it was easy. I was asking how you would know

Elizabeth 09-17-2008 12:11 AM

well im pretty sure its not rocket science to add a (1) to the user cp.. and if other people are saying it'd be easy and they know more than me, then i guess it must be easy.

Elizabeth 09-20-2008 11:00 PM

bump.
i'm not letting go of this thread.
i WANT notifications.

im sick of checking every two seconds to see if someone has replied, when they haven't

LoneAngelIbesu 09-20-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 1424975)
bump.
i WANT notifications.

Then go ask somebody in the vB modding community to make a mod for it. :)

Nataxo 09-20-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

bump.
i WANT notifications.

im sick of checking every two seconds to see if someone has replied, when they haven't

I support!

Notifications pleaseee:)

DarkReaper0 09-22-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene159 (Post 1424036)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 1423967)
You should both be well aware that there is a mass amount of addons, plugins and modifications for vBulletin (including what Elizabeth is asking for) without having to "edit the code" and the request she made is basically just a header template modification and a plugin upload probably. Don't act as though it'd take some strenuous hard editing of the software, because it really would not.

Rufus answered your question before you even asked it, right?

Darlene159 09-22-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

bump.
i WANT notifications.

Then dont check every two seconds. >_<

Nataxo 09-22-2008 09:44 PM

Darlene, at the end of this discussion to you agree/disagree?

Darlene159 09-22-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nataxo (Post 1425536)
Darlene, at the end of this discussion to you agree/disagree?

Disagree. Personally I dont see what the big deal is on having to click one extra click. My opinion.

Nataxo 09-22-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene159 (Post 1425538)
Disagree. Personally I dont see what the big deal is on having to click one extra click. My opinion.

I see your point, but it can be handy... maybe its not a very urgent matter to add this but it could be very nice, and to listen to Customers requests :)

Darlene159 09-22-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nataxo (Post 1425541)
I see your point, but it can be handy... maybe its not a very urgent matter to add this but it could be very nice, and to listen to Customers requests :)

Sure, but it isnt up to me anyway. I cant make those kinds of changes.

DarkReaper0 09-23-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene159 (Post 1425568)
Sure, but it isnt up to me anyway. I cant make those kinds of changes.

The rank of "Forums Admin" seems to contradict that statement O.o

Just thought it was kinda weird.

Darlene159 09-23-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkReaper0 (Post 1425616)
The rank of "Forums Admin" seems to contradict that statement O.o

Just thought it was kinda weird.

I am an admin, but I do not have the rights to make changes to vBulletin. I don't have rights that I don't need to moderate the forums, and moderators.

DarkReaper0 09-23-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene159 (Post 1425617)
I am an admin, but I do not have the rights to make changes to vBulletin. I don't have rights that I don't need to moderate the forums, and moderators.

Then pass it up the chain of command or kindly don't respond if you can't change it/make decisions about it.

LoneAngelIbesu 09-23-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkReaper0 (Post 1425619)
Then pass it up the chain of command or kindly don't respond if you can't change it/make decisions about it.

That's rather mean to say. You can't make any changes or decisions, either. All forum users are entitled to their opinions, not just non-admins. Who's to say that Stefan, or Unixmad (if he knows anything about PHP), can change it? Skyld has already pointed out that vBulletin is most likely encoded, which means that you can't make direct changes to the codes.

DarkReaper0 09-23-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu (Post 1425624)
That's rather mean to say.

-shrug- My signature was earned.

Darlene159 09-23-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkReaper0 (Post 1425619)

So, you are saying that those who cannot add this should have no opinion?

If I thought it was some awesome idea, I would bother unixmad with it.