Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Era Main Forum (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   What Era should look like (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134259448)

Jugglernaut 07-03-2010 02:27 AM

So do you still estimate July for the reset? And will rollbacks be an option again if another player decides to glitch more money into the economy? If not, what?

cbk1994 07-03-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jugglernaut (Post 1585606)
So do you still estimate July for the reset? And will rollbacks be an option again if another player decides to glitch more money into the economy? If not, what?

Hopefully July, but I don't know. Rollbacks are no longer an option. We don't have any other options now except reversing everything, which may require us to shut down Era for days, depending on the glitch.

Robocop300 07-03-2010 10:08 PM

Isn't it possible to store most of those folders and create a personal back-up of most things on a random hard drive?

It'd be annoying to have to update it every night to refresh the logs captured, but I mean, it could be a work around to that problem so there wouldn't be much work done having to forcibly reverse everything.

Or if anything, you could have that backup updated every one week, that way you have a week to go back to if anything seems to be amiss.

cbk1994 07-03-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robocop300 (Post 1585730)
Isn't it possible to store most of those folders and create a personal back-up of most things on a random hard drive?

It'd be annoying to have to update it every night to refresh the logs captured, but I mean, it could be a work around to that problem so there wouldn't be much work done having to forcibly reverse everything.

Or if anything, you could have that backup updated every one week, that way you have a week to go back to if anything seems to be amiss.

No, it's impossible to backup the accounts files without a ton of work, and even if you could, you'd have to upload each manually to the correct folder (over 3000) since scripts can't write to the accounts folder.

Robocop300 07-03-2010 11:51 PM

Oh jeez, well that blows.

I think before when things were client.side (or something like that) instead of server.side everything wrote to the accounts folder but that caused a lot of problems and made things much easier to exploit.

In any case, they should have the ability to provide staff with a high enough RC level to write to the accounts folder, or some type of work around to allow the Manager of x-sever to store backups of the server just in case anything were to happen that would be needs for a manual rollback.

Is there any reason they stopped providing backups to the servers anyway?

cbk1994 07-03-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robocop300 (Post 1585743)
Is there any reason they stopped providing backups to the servers anyway?

They have never provided backups. Now they do not make them. The only reason I can think of is saving resources.

Robocop300 07-04-2010 12:01 AM

Well that was the obvious reason, I expected there'd be a less... greedy - reason that the would stop making those backups.

That really sucks then, the only option is to do everything manually regardless since they don't offer those backups anymore right?

Closing the server every time someone decides to exploit a bug would mean Era would shut down nearly every other week for repairs.

fowlplay4 07-04-2010 01:16 AM

Since you can load player objects from HD ( new TServerPlayer("account"); ), you could write script to do a meaningful server backup. The catch is it's going take a couple hours for it finish at a good pace unless you want to make the server unplayable during, and backing up online players leaves a small chance for item overlap due to trading.

While in the mean time they could just get their shell script sorted out and have the GServer backed up in 15-20 minutes or so.

Imperialistic 07-04-2010 02:19 PM

get real, this totally looks like ol' west.

Jugglernaut 07-06-2010 02:55 AM

Hey Chris, if you wanted to have a bunch of new features for the new Era, why did you do such major updates before the reset?

KrimsonSky 07-06-2010 03:14 AM

there was a reset ??

I should come back now ? O.o *peeks head out*

cbk1994 07-06-2010 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jugglernaut (Post 1586099)
Hey Chris, if you wanted to have a bunch of new features for the new Era, why did you do such major updates before the reset?

Era is a sandbox -- it can be used for testing new ideas.

Jugglernaut 07-06-2010 03:19 AM

Zodiac already disabled observer mode.

Logababy 07-06-2010 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrimsonSky (Post 1586102)
there was a reset ??

I should come back now ? O.o *peeks head out*

Not yet?

Venom_Fish 07-06-2010 07:41 PM

Its July.