Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Classic Server should..?
be left as it is. 4 6.15%
bring back it's original levels and hit detection. 51 78.46%
bring back ONLY the original levels but leave the hit detection as is. 1 1.54%
bring back ONLY the original hit detection but leave the levels as is. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by contego View Post
Right Bell, but in all fairness are they really managing atm?

You're also right that you get to hear the compliants, but it's all part of the package deal and tbh I believe you're one who can help get this job done.
say what.

she already tryed to ditch us with the review , tbh i dont think she can help no more.'

edit: im already glad to hear that thym will bring the best quest ever made
Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 AM
£ôrd Çòñtëgó Me§§iaH
contego will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to contego Send a message via AIM to contego Send a message via MSN to contego
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
say what.

she already tryed to ditch us with the review , tbh i dont think she can help no more.'

edit: im already glad to hear that thym will bring the best quest ever made
I'm sorry Laura, but was that a stab at an active Global, who does free work for Graal, and actually works? She can't be everywhere at once. Uncalled for, yet again.

However I'm really not surprised to see Tyhm stepping up to the plate, he was always ready to help.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Do you even know anything about the PWA review we had on classic recently?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:01 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
As for the pyramid, gimme my tools and I'll convert it myself
Have fun with that!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
It was suggested to just shut the NPC server down? What will that give you, default HD with a bunch of broken custom systems.
How long do you think the globals would let us having our NPC server down intentionally?
I was quite obviously suggesting that so you could upload the old content with less effort. The custom systems are irrelevant.

If it's best for the server, why would the globals resist?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
The fact of the matter is,
even if the true current Classic players wanted the old levels restored exact (which I believe is just a case of the players wanting any type of positive change),
and even if doing so would actually bring a significant amount of old players back (which I doubt)......
The Old levels can not simply be reuploaded.

As far as converting the thousands or so levels go,
it would be a bit like humans trying to travel to another planet in a different star system,
I wouldn't say it's impossible, if we sent 100 people in a big enough ship and waited for a few tens of thousands of years inwhich nothing went wrong, and a steady amount of breeding was sustained in order to keep the crew large enough, they might make it.
But this just isn't going to happen.

Default Systems on the other hand are something which I do believe we can put into place, just this is something which would require work to start from scratch,
whichever specific server plan we try to follow would require a certain amount of time to be completed, just with Default Systems the transition into Classic Development for new Developers would be easier than at current, and the fact that it would be from scratch would mean that there are endless possibilities on server direction, what percentage of Old Levels it would use is besides the point.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
As far as converting the thousands or so levels go,
it would be a bit like humans trying to travel to another planet in a different star system,
I wouldn't say it's impossible, if we sent 100 people in a big enough ship and waited for a few tens of thousands of years inwhich nothing went wrong, and a steady amount of breeding was sustained in order to keep the crew large enough, they might make it.
But this just isn't going to happen.
Your analogy is horribly flawed. The majority of the levels contain nothing but the most basic of scripts, and take very little time to modify. The only real issue is having proper replacements for baddies and the default character NPCs. The rest is merely a matter of persistence, which nobody obviously has the willingness to cope with.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ramirez- View Post
Your analogy is horribly flawed. The majority of the levels contain nothing but the most basic of scripts, and take very little time to modify. The only real issue is having proper replacements for baddies and the default character NPCs. The rest is merely a matter of persistence, which nobody obviously has the willingness to cope with.
The levels were made before there was such thing as a clientside/serverside split, as far as I know scripts were processed by the client of the first player to enter the level with the data being sent to other players (correct me if i'm wrong), obviously most display purpose NPCs would be as simple as adding a line for Clientside, but alot of the more advanced scripts which made the old levels fun would today be something that would have to function Clientside for the sake of server cpu useage (where large for/while loops and constant timeouts are involved), but they happened to edit variables which now have to be modified Serverside, these require being mostly rescripted if not from scratch.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Sure, but how is that any different from how things are now? I mean, you can make the Pyramid from scratch, or you can adapt the Pyramid from scratch for defaulty clientsidey systems, or you can adapt the Pyramid from scratch for true default systemless, or you can adapt the Pyramid from scratch with "Someday this will work as advertised!" serverside "move" baddies, or you can make it from scratch with etc....if you're boned any way you look at it, you may as well save yourself some tiling and arguing with the purists.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Classic FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by contego View Post
I'm sorry Laura, but was that a stab at an active Global, who does free work for Graal, and actually works? She can't be everywhere at once. Uncalled for, yet again.
say the guy that never played classic in the past
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Gov'nah
Zeltino will become famous soon enough
Due to 15 pages of posts, I skipped to the end ignoring everyone else (Sorry, I'm way too lazy to read what you all said). In any ways...

I definitely think we should bring back the original/old Classic. So much fun back in those days. I would love to see my old stomping grounds again!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
I'll give a quick, sarcastic summary:

Old classic players: Look at the polls! Listen to the people! Clearly this would solve so many problems! I miss old classic and this would bring back a ton of old players!

Current classic players: It would take a massive amount of manpower (which we don't really have,) not to mention it'd take months to complete (if not more than a year.) Meanwhile, nothing would be added to classic and thus the server would probably die before it was complete.

That about sums it up.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
£ôrd Çòñtëgó Me§§iaH
contego will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to contego Send a message via AIM to contego Send a message via MSN to contego
Quote:
When I started Graal in '99, there was no other server but Classic, and I definitely played.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
known
unknown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to unknown
Quote:
LOL, Laura, you really just shouldn't talk, ever. If I knew you IRL, I would sew your mouth shut and chop off your fingers so you couldn't communicate.

Contego has played longer than I have (9 yrs) and also started on classic like I did, as well as has global staff EXP and has ran his own successful server.

Laura......you've voted, you've said really nothing relevant to the subject, take your 2 cents and spend it somewhere its accepted, because that place isn't here.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Classic FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
LOL, Laura, you really just shouldn't talk, ever. If I knew you IRL, I would sew your mouth shut and chop off your fingers so you couldn't communicate.
im scared oh yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Contego has played longer than I have (9 yrs) and also started on classic like I did, as well as has global staff EXP and has ran his own successful server.
where did i write the name contego in my post , and lol i dont give a crap about his global staff exp. Also i dont give a fk about when you or he started graal . :P

between me and you id like to know who is caring the most for classic, if i read all your post its all about words and words , yet you did nothing to help classic :P