Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Mr. Blu
Shards-Of-Fate will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via MSN to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via Yahoo to Shards-Of-Fate
Super Heroes Theme

So I can fathom how to execute many super powers if I were to work on a Super Hero oriented server. Something like your City of Heroes / Champions Online. But I have a few questions to the scripters and concept people out there. How would you execute flight in an RPG setting? I mean, the DBZ RPG's let you fly over water. And that was the main need for it. Any other unique powers that could be utilized and bring some uniqueness to Graal?

Weee!~
Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards-Of-Fate View Post
How would you execute flight in an RPG setting?

Flight could be used to add another "layer" to pking. Fighting on the ground, and then take it a bit higher on the z-axis to avoid ground-based pking and switch to air-based pking.

ie, if you're flying, an arrow or bomb would explode below you, but now you can be targeted by NPCs/skills on the flying "layer" of that level. Likewise, being on the ground causes the flying attacks to pass right over you.

Put classic pking on the ground, and then a new fast-paced pking in the air. Attacks that come from the sky and hit the ground. Surface-to-air attacks. etc.

UN's flying broomstick is fun too.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I think it would be very hard to pull something like this off on Graal.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I think it would be very hard to pull something like this off on Graal.
I don't think it would be very hard. It's just a matter of doing it correctly and with extreme organization. What Pojo suggested could be rather simplistically implemented in my opinion and is a good idea on the matter.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Mr. Blu
Send a message via AIM to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via MSN to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via Yahoo to Shards-Of-Fate
I think it all involves a little imagination. Its doable, I think. My only worry is that the people with the higher Z will be on top of those who are just standing to the north of them.

Weee!~
Old 08-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Delteria
Quote:
I think it all involves a little imagination. Its doable, I think. My only worry is that the people with the higher Z will be on top of those who are just standing to the north of them.
A fix to this (visually-speaking) would be to edit the flying player's alpha value when overlapping another player in that respect. Can be done simply, and at least would compensate for some of the obstruction.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloven View Post
I don't think it would be very hard. It's just a matter of doing it correctly and with extreme organization. What Pojo suggested could be rather simplistically implemented in my opinion and is a good idea on the matter.
I meant a Super Hero themed server in general. I don't see how a server like this would play any different than Zodiac, other than a few visual changes. Then I doubt there would be the customization and interactivity that I would want in the server.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Mr. Blu
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I meant a Super Hero themed server in general. I don't see how a server like this would play any different than Zodiac, other than a few visual changes. Then I doubt there would be the customization and interactivity that I would want in the server.
Definitely true and definitely something I have been thinking of.

It can differ from Zodiac with custom sprites and ganis, but yes when it boils down to it, it will not be much more than a SNES RPG with Particle effects as Zodiac pretty much also is. But right now I'm playing around with its plausibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloven View Post
A fix to this (visually-speaking) would be to edit the flying player's alpha value when overlapping another player in that respect. Can be done simply, and at least would compensate for some of the obstruction.
Could you have the flying player's alpha value of landed players fade as well? So that as their get..."farther" away from each other, they are harder to see. And the flying player would be faded to the people on the ground?

Weee!~
Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Delteria
Quote:
Could you have the flying player's alpha value of landed players fade as well? So that as their get..."farther" away from each other, they are harder to see. And the flying player would be faded to the people on the ground?
Don't see why not. Like anything else it'd probably boil down to being a usage issue, if anything were to limit the cleverness of the effect's execution.