Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
FuManchu is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Essay of Ideas to Improve Graal

What will this cover?
It will cover several ideas to improve Graal for new players. Some suggestions will be new, some will be old. Some of them will be up to Stefan/Unixmad, others will be up to server managers and staff. What's your role in this as a normal player? To critique it; refine it, in case a manager or Graal admin comes into the thread and is interested (which I hope will happen)

About the Author
LOL jk about this part.

How to attract new players
The new secret to Graal's potential success is iPhone. Right now it's about noon (EST) and Streety's signature says Graal iPhone has over 100 players so I'm assuming more would play during the evening. The iPhone version of Graal seems to be attracting and maintaining a few hundred players, so why not try to bring them to PC Graal, Stefan or Unixmad?

I think it'd be cool if iPhone members were offered a few weeks to try out Graal's client version. I'm not sure how the iPhone version works, but perhaps there could be a way to prove you downloaded and played it so you can enter a code or something in and get something similar to Classic accounts for a week and then get sent back to trial No ob mode, no head restrictions, etc, they'd get to try Graal at it's fullest for a certain period of time. I'm sure after a few weeks of playing Graal to it's fullest extent, they'd quickly want to play it more and buy gold time.

P.S. I believe new players would want to upgrade more with different subscription methods are described here:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...14&postcount=1

How to help new players stay to Graal
This is where server managers and staff come in. I noticed that servers in general aren't very noob friendly and they are forced to beg players for help or find their own way around, which can be hard.

I'll write out specific ideas for servers:
UN & Zodiac & Era
As surprising as this may sound to you, the experienced player, new players seem to have trouble finding quests/dungeons to progress at.

What I personally suggest is having a knowledgeable NPC who is very interested in helping newcomers hang around at OSL and answer questions and/or direct you to some area to progress through the game.

On Zodiac:
An NPC confronts new players in OSL saying they look like a promising new fighter and asks if they'd want to gain experiance in combat. After the player says yes, the NPC guides them to OSL2.nw, an area now full of NPCs filled with NPCs that are having troubles with baddies around the Zodiac world.

Players from level 1-10 can talk to a feeble old man who was wounded by the necromancer trainer) and his liches invaded dungeons all across escalus. He asks you if you're willing to kill his liches for an award and the player agrees and he'll take you to a dungeon (the one that's connected to the tunnels) and bid you good luck as you walk into the lich dungeon and battle them. He also says to meet him back in OSL2.nw after killing enough liches. After killing enough liches to approximately get you to level 8 (people tend to go to crocs at level 8) or 10, the old man in OSL2.nw thanks you and gives you a reward. But that isn't enough, he wants to see the Necromancer dead and says you can keep the valuables the Necromancer drops. The player can accept or decline and the old man comes with you to confront the Necromancer who conjures several enemies to fight you. The old man says "I'm too weak to persue the mancer but I can take his minions! Concentrate on the Necro while I kill his minions". The fight basically goes like this:
- The Necromancer is weaker than a croc so you can kill him fairly easily by yourself but you have to avoid the liches he summons while the old man kills them or you'll die. The old man is a mage BTW and he fireballs/bolts the liches.
- The necromancer summons 1 lich at the beginning of the fight, 2 when he's at 75% health, 3 when he's at 50%, 4 when he's at 25%, so the fight gets progressively harder as there are more liches to avoid.
- After the Necromancer is dead, he drops a nice leveling Ring to boost your stats. You also get the Follow-Me Lich, maybe for something cool.

Basically new players would be able to encounter the plight of one of Zodiac's residents and reap rewards for meeting with the NPCs and do their dirty work. I'd also like to see NPCs like this (that guide the player to a dungeon) make the player immune to all damage so level 60 players can't farm the noobs. NOOB PROTECTION FTW.

On UN:
I have no idea, UN is kind of.. less suitable for storylines like Zod is (minus the Snatch quest line) so I guess there can be an informant NPC hanging around OSL who will tell you where and how to get to quests and then congratulate you for completing them, followed by information on a new quest for the player to go to. I don't really have much to say for this, honestly lol.

On Era:
A new player is greeted by an NPC that is dying and tells you the streets of Era are merciless, yet is is the best place to be! And his only regret.. was not killing <name of Mob boss>. He tells you his wounds are great and his time is short so he gives you a handgun and tells you to find his sister who is a nurse. He says "she's at -......." and then dies but the "nurse" comment should be enough to make the new player realize she's at the hospital. After a bit a helpful NPC says "Hey stranger, you look lost! That's not good around these parts.. What are you looking for?". The NPC gives off several basic locations (Gun Point, Hospital, Mines, etc) that you can ask him for. You ask him where the hospital is and go there and find the nurse (the dead guy's sister) who tells you about how his brother's life dreams were never accomplished and wants you to go conquered the ninja domain and the army in the sewer in this honor. Why? This is so she directs to Era's quests (I think there's a 3rd I'm forgetting about, though).

How and Why this should be done
You're probably thinking this is a lot to do and how to do it? Well firstly every server has a scripter But really, we have the Graal Development Team. If the GDT worked closely with server staff, making Graal more noob friendly could really be easy.

Basically, I think it'd be really neat to have things similar to what ideas I pitched implemented and I'm pretty sure old and new players would enjoy them too. Starting with interesting storylines and NPCs helping you would probably make gameplay a lot more interesting anyway.

Thanks for reading. Sorry if I went a bit overboard with some of the details xD (epecially during the necromancer fight v_v)
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
What will this cover?
It will cover several ideas to improve Graal for new players. Some suggestions will be new, some will be old. Some of them will be up to Stefan/Unixmad, others will be up to server managers and staff. What's your role in this as a normal player? To critique it; refine it, in case a manager or Graal admin comes into the thread and is interested (which I hope will happen)

About the Author
LOL jk about this part.

How to attract new players
The new secret to Graal's potential success is iPhone.
i stopped reading here
Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 PM
If done appropriately, the iPhone can bring in a lot of players ^_^ Obviously if people are staying on it, they enjoy what they're playing, therefore they will more than likely enjoy Graal as a whole (at least they'd like Unholy Nation, I assume, or Classic if it makes a return).
Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
We (Zodiac) do have plans to have a "tutorial" dungeon, that players will be able to go to after they complete the basic tutorial.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
i stopped reading here
The iPhone (and, in depth, the mobile platform) is currently Graal Online's saving grace - we can refer to it as the "JesusPhone" henceforth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
About the Author
LOL jk about this part.
Harsh.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
I don't see the point of restricting a trial subscription to iPhone users only. Are we giving up on every other market?

I think it would be more sensible to allow players to create new accounts that are able to do a considerable amount of what Gold accounts can do for 10 or so days, and limit the ability to trade items and money to prevent older players from creating these for some sort of financial gain on server.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 PM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The iPhone (and, in depth, the mobile platform) is currently Graal Online's saving grace - we can refer to it as the "JesusPhone" henceforth.

Harsh.
what if I was jewish?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
what if I was jewish?
Then you would recognize the JesusPhone as the second coming, instead of the third for normal people.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
the only way to save graal pc is to make the pc users being able to log on the classic iphone, then adding stuff on the server that can only be obtained by pc users and iphone users !! also adding a small "shop" from the iphone selling those cards
Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Quote:
if i end up having to buy an iphone in order to play graal, then all i can think of as to WHY such a thing would happen is to screw us out of our lifetime classic accounts. even if i don't have to buy an iphone but i have to play with people who do have iphones...i can just imagine the lag, the bugs, and the retardedness now

it's a serious two-step back to focus on the iphone. i understand the need for money and all that, but as a player (who doesn't care about the company making money) this can only delay what i want graal to provide. the ball is already rolling and instead of focusing on it's course, we're going to roll another one
Old 01-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Boom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
if i end up having to buy an iphone in order to play graal, then all i can think of as to WHY such a thing would happen is to screw us out of our lifetime classic accounts. even if i don't have to buy an iphone but i have to play with people who do have iphones...i can just imagine the lag, the bugs, and the retardedness now

it's a serious two-step back to focus on the iphone. i understand the need for money and all that, but as a player (who doesn't care about the company making money) this can only delay what i want graal to provide. the ball is already rolling and instead of focusing on it's course, we're going to roll another one
Hah.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Babylon OG
Lord Sephiroth will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lord Sephiroth
I think the iPhone has tremendous potential if used properly. As in, advertising the online game before or after they're playing on the App, ya know? If even 1 person out of the average 300-400 people using the App at any given time is interested enough to go to graalonline.com, then it's a success.

This is why Graal for iPhone was such a great idea, and I applaud whoever the **** thought of that. The iPhone/iPod touch is such a HUGE population, if it's used more as a marketing tool instead of a game addition, we could easily find ourselves with our playercounts back up around 600-700 within the year.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Hiro; I really think you're misunderstanding me when I say the iPhone can be the secret to Graal's success. "if i end up havin to buy an iphone in order to play Graal" - what the hell are you talking about? iPhone users would more than likely be easily attracted to the client version if Graal is advertised there appropriately.

Mark Sir Link; Um, what? I'm not suggesting giving up on anything. The iPhone players are on client-Graal's doorstep, let's invite them in.

Stephen; No offense to you, I was just playing off the fact that the "About the Author" part in your document was such a big deal (to Door) =P

Jerret; I hope that this tutorial dungeon will somehow help them find their way around Zodiac. I do help new players that want to know where they need to go to level next but there are still so many of them o_O It'd only get worse if there ever happened to be a huge influx of new players.

Edit: Lord Sephiroth; That's exactly what I'm trying to get across. -_-
Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Boom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sephiroth View Post
I think the iPhone has tremendous potential if used properly. As in, advertising the online game before or after they're playing on the App, ya know?

This is why Graal for iPhone was such a great idea, and I applaud whoever the **** thought of that. The iPhone/iPod touch is such a HUGE population, if it's used more as a marketing tool instead of a game addition, we could easily find ourselves with our playercounts back up around 600-700 within the year.
This.

The fantastic thing about Eurocenter's QuattroPlay - and it has not be recognized yet by any other company - its near rival to engines like Torque. A Torque developer's license is $650 for the 2D developer platform and $750 for the 3D developer platform.

I don't know how much 3D strength QuattroPlay has, and whatever they tell us on that subject, would be subject to doubt in my eyes. However, if they price competitively then they have a product which is EASIER than torque, has massively supported content examples (Graal Online) and CHEAPER than torque.

Developing on mobile platforms is a *massive* and *growing* market, just waiting to be fully tapped. If Eurocenter can get in on the developer's side and the application market side, they would have the game by the short and curlies.

The biggest problem we saw, and we discussed it quite a few months ago, maybe last year, was the very distinct possibility that Eurocenter may - in their new found JesusPlatform - abandon Graal Online for greener pastures.

We haven't heard any official comments towards it, and I posted a direct question to Eurocenter in the main forum. I know from personal experience Stefan is currently making huge efforts to revise, restructure, and improve Graal Online. If that's just a happy benefit of QuattroPlay development, a sign of better things to come, or a desperate end-game plan for Graal Online... is yet to be seen.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Quote:
This.

The fantastic thing about Eurocenter's QuattroPlay - and it has not be recognized yet by any other company - its near rival to engines like Torque. A Torque developer's license is $650 for the 2D developer platform and $750 for the 3D developer platform.

I don't know how much 3D strength QuattroPlay has, and whatever they tell us on that subject, would be subject to doubt in my eyes. However, if they price competitively then they have a product which is EASIER than torque, has massively supported content examples (Graal Online) and CHEAPER than torque.

Developing on mobile platforms is a *massive* and *growing* market, just waiting to be fully tapped. If Eurocenter can get in on the developer's side and the application market side, they would have the game by the short and curlies.

The biggest problem we saw, and we discussed it quite a few months ago, maybe last year, was the very distinct possibility that Eurocenter may - in their new found JesusPlatform - abandon Graal Online for greener pastures.

We haven't heard any official comments towards it, and I posted a direct question to Eurocenter in the main forum. I know from personal experience Stefan is currently making huge efforts to revise, restructure, and improve Graal Online. If that's just a happy benefit of QuattroPlay development, a sign of better things to come, or a desperate end-game plan for Graal Online... is yet to be seen.
don't fancy it up. graal will die because they make more money on the iphone: they can charge more frequently, they can eliminate people using lifetime accounts, they can advertise directly on the phone itself which is way better than advertising online (people adblock everything), and it's a new, original thing for this type of technology that has yet to be fully tapped into

how does PC graal even begin to stand up to something like that in the eyes of the owners? nostalgia can only go so far: the future and obvious focus of eurocenter is on the iphone, not the PC. i realize the V6 is going to come out, but so what? is V6 going to make us have over 1000 players on during the day?

using the iphone only as an advertisement won't bring in the amount of new players to PC graal to make it worthwhile. people are going crazy over the iphone having over 100 players daily: don't you realize that the amount of people with an iphone/touch is well into the millions? 100 people isn't **** compared to the amount of people with iphones, and it isn't **** compared to the amount of players on PC graal at any given time: and PC graal has sucked for years!