Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Reviving the classic-style server

So let's discuss the dying genre of the classic-style server.

What has typically kept this sort of style alive, a combination of sparring/PKing and events, seems to have fallen out of favor. I don't think the core group of sparring people play much anymore, and no one has PK'd seriously for quite awhile. Events has always been something people can enjoy, but it's not enough to hold a server up forever, as we've seen already. Especially when those events become stale, or rehashed.

I know UN is still there and is doing something to develop itself, though I haven't seen much in the way of a plan, at least posted on these forums. Classic is being reworked from scratch, though how they'll do things differently or recreate was it used to be is yet to be seen in full. NP seems to be in development, but God knows what the hell their trying to do anymore - first it was going to become a kingdoms-type server, now it's back to classic or something? Delteria has been in development for years with seemingly no real progress towards releasing, and again who knows how they'll attempt to revive the genre. Lastly, honestly having faith in a new UC server at this point seems pointless, since literally 99% of them fail before release.

Even I've tried my hands at making what I feel would be a revamped classic server, but with my poor development skills and inability to seem to hold together a group of developers to work on the same plan, everything has always fallen through.

So how can the classic-styled server make a comeback?