Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2002, 04:56 PM
shockedfrog is on a distinguished road
im not the be all and end all of old classic stuff, but here's what i consider makes a world, such as Classic.

No GC (or ideally, a small presence of GC) but big events held occasionally. Remember the destruction of the NL? I'd like big events like that, except that the places destroyed should be destroyed for a purpose, not just to add a sparring arena to a world with many good ones already on it Also, events would need to be held fairly - the halloween events, for example, was held too late for people living in the UK/europe, and other countries too may have complaints. Ideally events would be held for 24 hours, starting for austrailia and ending for, erm, some place on the left side of the world

A small LAT presence - occasionally improving areas with minor additions, adding quests sometimes (contrary to popular belief, im not totally against additions but mostly additions of player houses (to finally fill up big city and the area to the left of nearorner/onett)

The amount of players - As several have said, the 300+ players at peak times without too much lag was the real charm of Classic. That's a dream world these days, that we coudl never accomplish, unless I were to spam like 500 ex-graalians on my ICQ list to come back

Freedom - We would need to lose spar ratings (thus giving the community the decision as to who is a good sparrer or not). Access needs to be allowed to most major areas without having to do quests first (the newbie house is an exception - a way to skip it would be ideal, but then real newbies would skip it...) although that said, some areas should be quest/item locked - such as areas requiring the hammer for entry.

Less ego inflation - Just a silly gripe, but when every quest level has at least 1 Tyhm, Zorbi, Zorba or Cid on it, we're kidna losing the fact that Graal is made by the general community, and not just the LAT. As I say, LAT = Level Admin Team, not Level Making Team.

The old levels - this is where it gets hard. Some people enjoy thm's levels, and they will play the 'new classic'. Hey, Tyhm surprises me sometimes, I must admit that I like his levels, I just don't like the reasoning behind some of them, and the drastic additions (ie heras - servers have used heart pieces before, and so has the lava cave, but making every heart out of heart pieces is a bit tiring, although the advantage is of course that we can have many more quests, the disadvantage then being that these quests tend to be mass-produced by the LAT. Sure, quests have always been made by the LAT, but that's because there were less of them, and therefore there had to be made to a LAT-standard. However, look now - classic areas have been changed, and although i started in 1.32, and therefore know very little about zol, sardon etc. im sure the people who know them would be pissed off to find them stepping into a weird paradox, and zol suddenly getting a randomly named father, Lozolin.

The main thing with levels though, is that i consider the 1.32 era the 'classic levels' because thats when i started. someone who started around 1.37 or so will remember slightly different levels. someone who started 1.28 or earlier will have another totally different view. Now, for a sort of self-advertisment - the reason i like the jedi knights games at http://graal.jediknights.co.uk so much is because they cater for all Graal-ages, simply because the people who make JK have come from different times. But they are seperate games, and attempting to mix one world with the next is impossible, at least without good planning. Chrono Trigger/Cross anyone? Now, there could be polls (ie. SN's arena or NL, Gold Sword or not, Number of hearts etc.) but after that, trying to sort it all out would be near impossible. Therefore, we would need to vote on a level pack to use.

Also, newer graal versions contain additions which go against the older spirit in some ways. tyhm has already explained this with AP, there's also spar ratings, amount of money dropped (which can be changed easily apparently, which is good) and of course, scripting changes. The toinventory command is gonna be removed soon according to tyhm, meaning we would either have to script a replacement with a system NPC, or just have items not appearing, except in the form of a sign saying 'you have picked up item -itemname- or whatever. Tyhm's solution was to place them as undeletable items in the NPC list, but this clogs up the list with unusable items, which really doesn't help. However, the thign thats missing form older Graal versions is some of the newer script stuff, such as new sign methods, that could be used to improve the old levels (to make things look correct, and perhaps better, although nothing too fancy - the life shrine looked nice, but it became a gateway for more and more similar things to come, and eventually they just got overused and annoying).

The thing is, I always wished for a classic that was updated often, but my choices are either tyhm's world which is updated often, but missing many elements of classic, or the old world, which can't really be updated because some people will get annoyed as much as I do sometimes because of this, I enjoy both worlds - the new world which has more players and better scripting and more quests, and the old world which has a better general feeling about it, a more relaxed style of play, more choices, no nations (the main thing that annoys me about the tyhm-world)
Because of that, if the old world goes up, then I would play both worlds, as long as the old world were to have at least 50 players at off peak times and over 125 at peak times. The problem with that would be getting enough newer players to play it, or managing to get older players back to graal.

And to royan - sremaglaer (read backwards) has been censored due to incidents with eikufam (read backwards, it might be censored) for ages now it's a pain, cause i means i have to use http://graalupdate.cjb.net to advertise my site instead of the usual URL, http://graalupdate.*******ers.net (damn censorship
Old 03-25-2002, 10:43 PM
slick_soul is on a distinguished road
Sounds good to me.

Anybody got any walkthroughs for Old classic cause I forgot where to go lol.
You start off in a house and there's an old man that gives you some map and tells you to go west to some temple and that temple is like 5 levels long but hard as hell because something is sucking you towards the middle of the room and the room is shaking and something keeps hitting you.

This is the classic we're talking about right?
If so I think it is a lot better than the current classic. The level quality between old and new is about the same in my opinion. There's some good and some bad.

Anyone knows about when this thing could be out if it is brought back?
Chap: Oh yes i forgot AHHHHHH
Old 03-25-2002, 11:50 PM
Woman
Lyndzey is a jewel in the roughLyndzey is a jewel in the rough
What will become of current Classic?

I don't think we should take some old PWs that failed and use staff from them, it should be done by the older player. There is still MadBrad, Clops, Hoss, me. I still keep in contact with older players and stuff. There should not be staff that have power. This is what ruined Graal, or what people say. There will be many newbies, because the quests are very simple so PKing will be high. Take Babylon. They have barely any quests (they are a great server though), and since they have no quests, not many people play.

I would type more, but this keyboard is messed up and keeps skipping letters, causing me having to use the backspace key every other word.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:22 AM
Tired Sloth
Psyker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Psyker Send a message via Yahoo to Psyker
Quote:
Originally posted by Lyndzey
I don't think we should take some old PWs that failed and use staff from them, it should be done by the older player. There is still MadBrad, Clops, Hoss, me. I still keep in contact with older players and stuff. There should not be staff that have power. This is what ruined Graal, or what people say. There will be many newbies, because the quests are very simple so PKing will be high.
Yeah, I was going to find a bunch of old people and ask them if they wanted to help out. Minoc said he'd find a bunch of people, but I wasn't so sure if I wanted that just yet.

I was thinking of fixing all of the problems, then dismantling the LAT (not forgetting to put up a sign in level13.graal or something saying thanks to them) and hiring a GP force to monitor. It would take a while, but...
Old 03-26-2002, 01:08 AM
LittleBabyGirl_Bomy is on a distinguished road
Iam a oldbie.. i guess, ive been playing since.. well 4.5 years
or something, iam not very sure about version though

Aim: Ferret The Man
Email: forum PM me for my mail
Old 03-26-2002, 04:02 AM
Tired Sloth
Quote:
Originally posted by LittleBabyGirl_Bomy
Iam a oldbie.. i guess, ive been playing since.. well 4.5 years
or something, iam not very sure about version though
that's what they all say
Old 03-26-2002, 04:11 AM
LittleBabyGirl_Bomy is on a distinguished road
Heres the story.. in fifth.. a few months in fifth grade
my friend was on a computer thingie place, he saw graal
and called me, i started playing.. 2 years later i took a break
for like.. 3-4 months and now iam in ninth grade.. :O

Aim: Ferret The Man
Email: forum PM me for my mail
Old 03-26-2002, 04:51 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Classic will continue to be (or Tyhm-Classic, I guess).

shockedfrog, you're blowing my mind again...frequent events, but no GCs? Make up your mind!
No new quests. At all. Absolutely out of the question. That would make it Parallel Classic at which point, to paraphrase TrueHeat, stop being such a slacker and just make your own playerworld from scratch.

Yes to Playerhouses.

No to Goldsword and more hearts - the point is for it to be Old Graal, not to start out as Old Graal and watch it mutate. If Old Graal ceases to be Old Graal, what would we name the next one? Real Old Graal?
Spar ratings cannot be disabled level-side - however, you can just make a world without sparringzones and everyone will have the same null rating.
Ego - I resent that. I overuse Zorbis because I like them and they're convenient for "Hm, I have to put someone here...." The Floating Tyhm's are just signposts stating that Tyhm messed up the order of things, and are only temporary.

The Old Levels - yes, definitely this should be a Pre-Tyhm world. I'll take my ninja quest out of it.

Money Dropping - that was the Classic system. If you really prefer dropping 1000 regardless of how hard up for cash you are, be my guest.

Now for the big question: LAT Chief for Old Classic, GP Chief for Old Classic, FAQ at all on Old Classic?

Make your nominations, then I guess we'll hold a vote here.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 03-26-2002, 06:18 AM
poo on you
vovavziggy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyhm
Now for the big question: LAT Chief for Old Classic, GP Chief for Old Classic, FAQ at all on Old Classic?

Make your nominations, then I guess we'll hold a vote here.
Ohh boy, I probably shouldn't be doing this, but I nominate myself..
I've had quite a lot of experience with GP work.
I've been GP Captain and GP Chief on Dino Valley and a GP on X. Although I'm currently trying out for a GP position on Classic...well, let's call it New Classic now, I have never gotten the chance to prove myself on a proffesional server. This probably looks like a desperate attempt, but hey, it's worth a shot.
Someone who's been playing Graal for ages, or someone who is popular in the Graal Community would probably be nominated and chosen without doubt, but someone like me would just write one of these pathetic...somethings.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:04 AM
Tired Sloth
Vote.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:34 AM
Über-1337 Member
DarkPyro_2001 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to DarkPyro_2001 Send a message via AIM to DarkPyro_2001 Send a message via Yahoo to DarkPyro_2001
Tyhm--

1) I think there's still a level with "mild" profanity in it, but I can't remember what the level is.
2) It's PACHUKA.
3) Vote for me! I'm, liek, rael smurt!

shockedfrog--

1) Quit being mean to BANE - Bloody Annoying Newbie Energy, he's only been around since 1.36.

NoFace (3/25/02 8:42:10 PM):
Mass message:
how do u get the trident to work?
Old 03-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Probably more than one. But that'd be for the LAT to repair.

Speaking of which, we got Vovaziggy for GP Admin, any seconds, challengers, or nominees for LAT Admin?

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 03-26-2002, 01:22 PM
Space Monkeys, everywhere
DeathChill is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Speaking of which, we got Vovaziggy for GP Admin, any seconds, challengers, or nominees for LAT Admin?
My cat
Old 03-26-2002, 04:16 PM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
Quote:

I'm running for LAT admin!

Last edited by Minoc; 03-26-2002 at 04:39 PM..
Old 03-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Darkman2001 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Darkman2001
Minoc should be LAT admin!