Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Dragonosteel has a little shameless behaviour in the past
What has the GDT been up to?

It's been a month or two since Bell announced it's official creation, so I'm wondering if anything has been done with the team yet :O
Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Well, right now I am trying to get some of them together to make a new website for GraalOnline.com.

So far it is going pretty well, but only very few people from the GDT are involved, I wish more would get involved.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
I helped out (as a GDT) with UN's Halloween, when Streety was in need.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Empress Door the Unhinged
Door is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to behold
I idle in the irc channel with them all day, every day!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Not much at the moment, many of the GDT are rarely on IRC. I also believe that more steps should be taken to advertise our services to those in need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Door View Post
I idle in the irc channel with them all day, every day!
And our days have been brightened because of it!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Empress Door the Unhinged
Door is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
And our days have been brightened because of it!
AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW this made me smile so hard irl, I hope you weren't being sarcastic!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Vulcan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonosteel View Post
It's been a month or two since Bell announced it's official creation, so I'm wondering if anything has been done with the team yet :O
NINJA-EDIT:It seems that Door's shift-key is hanging: 7.4% of the time he/she wrote UPPERCASE.
While a few of us are consistently on IRC available to answer questions, the current model that the team is following is simply not working. When Bell gets back from her move, we will be making a few changes for the better.

Playerword Issues: Support Center
Email: [email protected]

Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
so basically a minimal amount of production is coming from the GDT, or?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I still stick to my original opinion that the GDT is just a way to make it seem like things are happening and that the team serves no real purpose.

The "Global Development Team" does nothing that couldn't be done without a global team—in fact, I'm not even sure how much development they've been doing. Personally, I was hoping they'd take to updating the scripting documentation, creating tutorials for the various development fields on Graal, and helping playerworlds that need a little push.

I am, however, glad to see that they haven't transformed into the GST (Global Slave Team, meaning they would script for Zone at Stefan's command).
Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
The "Global Development Team" does nothing that couldn't be done without a global team—in fact, I'm not even sure how much development they've been doing. Personally, I was hoping they'd take to updating the scripting documentation, creating tutorials for the various development fields on Graal, and helping playerworlds that need a little push.
So why haven't any of these things been done by individuals yet?

Like Vulcan said, we're adjusting and figuring out the best way to organize and work. In the meantime, some of us are certainly doing things; some worked on Graaloween, some have been helping playerworlds. I myself have been working on a polling system as part of the public content releases.

However, we aren't really being utilized by playerworlds, as far as I can tell. One of the pillars of our purpose is to help playerworld staff, but we can't do that if we're not asked.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
So why haven't any of these things been done by individuals yet?
What?
  • Tig started Testbed before he was in the GDT/PWA to help scripters learn to script
  • #gscript has been maintaing their own wiki (or at least used to, not sure on the current status) for scripting
  • There have been tries by people like Dusty to start guilds for developers (Developers Circle, etc) — also specialty guilds like #glevels, Scripter, etc
  • Twinny and some other people have written scripting documentation in the past (tutorials)
  • I (along with others) have been updating scripting documentation (albiet less than before, recently)
  • I've had PMs from at least 5-6 people in the past month who have needed help on their server (on Era, one over the forums), and was able to help all of them without (Global Development Team) at the end of my name.

There are most certainly more examples, but I can't think of anything now. The best thing the team has brought is the IRC channel, and even that is rarely used by people needing help.

I hope the team is able to transform, because I really would like to see a group of players taking time to do the tasks I've mentioned before, but I don't see it happening right now. Hopefully something will happen when Bell gets back.

I am, however, glad to hear that some things are being worked on.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
What?
The point being that if those things were done, you wouldn't have said anything about them in your last post. Of course people can do those things independently, and they still can. The GDT was created to consolidate the efforts, but mostly provide general public content and help. Most developers concentrate on their own servers, rather than Graal as a whole.

Anyways, we really shouldn't be giving final judgement on the GDT this prematurely. It's version 1. There are kinks that need to worked out.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Door View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW this made me smile so hard irl, I hope you weren't being sarcastic!
Not in the least.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Chris, I think you're being a bit over-critical of the team. I think it's a good idea that all these efforts can now be unified under one banner. There's still time for the team to shine yet, and I'm optimisitic of it's future
Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
Well, right now I am trying to get some of them together to make a new website for GraalOnline.com.

So far it is going pretty well, but only very few people from the GDT are involved, I wish more would get involved.
Is this really higher priority than other things?