Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English) > Job Forum > Playerworld Administration Team
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Hello, it's me.
Aimee is on a distinguished road
It really is Tig. I remember GPing every single day, and always having many players come off with racial comments and slurs. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. It's something that I would really like to work on though, trying to at least decrease the amount of racism going on.

I really enjoyed working with you Tig, you were an inspiration to me if I must say, and thanks for the support!

Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
I don't think racism is as big of a deal that you're making it. It doesn't seem like it's something that should be focused on,
Actually, racism and extreme foul language is really bad on certain servers (or was). It really depends on the staff. Some care, and some dont. It is a big deal in the areas where it is ignored by staff on the server. I'm not going to play on a server where I have to see that garbage. Just saying...
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
Actually, racism and extreme foul language is really bad on certain servers (or was). It really depends on the staff. Some care, and some dont. It is a big deal in the areas where it is ignored by staff on the server. I'm not going to play on a server where I have to see that garbage. Just saying...
I agree, rules should certainly be enforced. Racism and foul language is a big deal, but not so much on a global-scale (they are just words, after all). It should be more left up to the local staff members to enforce such rules. If they're not enforced, then perhaps the playerworld administration should notify that playerworld that they need to start enforcing more rules.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
(they are just words, after all).

They may just be words to you, but words cut like a knife to some people. They should not have to be subjected to it on a game they pay to play, especially. I have seen horrible racism being ignored more than once by staff, and horrible language as well. I can see excusing minor cursing, but what I have seen ignored is way beyond minor, and if people are punished, it is laughable. The punishments should be severe for people who repeat this kind of behavior.

I think, in general, it may not be a serious problem, but I do believe that in cases where you have playerworlds that have a big problem with this, the pwa should step in and let the staff, and players know that this behavior wont be tolerated.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned
xAzerothx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
If someone insults you on a game you shouldn't take it personally.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Hello, it's me.
I totally agree with what Darlene is saying, i've seen the exact same and it's just unacceptable. However, you all do have a point in some way shape or form.

Anyway, it's nice to hear other peoples views and opinions.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
The whole 'it's just words' thing is no excuse, really. Racism and such should never be allowed, or tolerated.
I just don't think you'll ever be able to censor it... so why try? Just enforce the rules for language and such.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Language censors are available to any server that wishes to use them. Most servers that have used them have found them to be more trouble than help. They actually just become a new method of fun for those who get their entertainment through the use of foul language or racial slurs.

The PWA does speak to the local administration when we receive complaints about rules against racism and foul language not being enforced but its still up to them to enforce it. For the most part it becomes an issue on servers as who is to enforce it since not all servers have enough GP's to cover at all times. Naturally players tend to get worse when they know that nobody is there to watch.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Dark Ravenblade
Ravenblade1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Ravenblade1979
Of course players get worse. Its fun for them to do it so they will. Maybe a detterant should be put in place to stop this. Like 1st offence (racism stuff here) and 2 day ban, 2nd offense 1 week ban, 3rd offense 2 month ban.

just something to really slow it down.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
There is already a system in place for that. Its still up to the local servers to enforce it. The current local ban system has a 14 day ban for severe vulgarity or racism. These ban times were set up after polling the servers to find out what their standard times were that they usually used for punishment.

They are however just a guideline to help standardize some of the usual problems that servers come across. Most servers will start with a jail time then increase the punishment as offenses increase. There is also a 30 day ban for multiple jailings and in extreme cases the 10 year "hacking" ban is used to bar them completely from the server. When its used though, the server should specify in the comments as to exactly why they are using this ban.

The PWA try, whenever possible, to not interfere with what the local management. We are not here to tell them how to run their servers as long as they make a reasonable attempt to follow the Rules of Conduct and Terms of Service.

Aimee comes from a GP background so I do understand why her focus would tend to be on a rules enforcement side. It is extememly helpful to have had that type of experience but it definitely isn't the only focus of a PWA.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
On Utopia I had a filter that didn't actually filter, just logged when words were detected, so that staff could investigate any claims.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Hello, it's me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud View Post
On Utopia I had a filter that didn't actually filter, just logged when words were detected, so that staff could investigate any claims.
Hmm, I remember Unholy Nation having this, and so did Zodiac. It wasn't the best to be honest. It was abused quite a lot and flooded RC, as when users found out that staff were notified on RC they took advantage of it.

But I guess if logs were logged in a file, that could work.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
If I ever ran a server I'd probably log all chat and have it for reference in case anyone ever claimed someone had been harassing them or such.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:14 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
If I ever ran a server I'd probably log all chat and have it for reference in case anyone ever claimed someone had been harassing them or such.
I disagree with that, I think everyone is entitled to some sort of privacy.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Not online, at least on a game ran by someone else. Only I would have access to the logs, and only referenced when reported.
Do people still feel they have privacy online? I figured everyone has found out already, whether it's a game, AIM, MSN, a website, e-mail... you never know who could be reading your stuff.