Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Mario is Missing!

Not really, he just found Graal! Seriously, I pity him now.

Anyways, what's the point of this post? To advertise a little side project I've decided to undertake for fun. The project is to clone Mario to the best of my ability. This will include making the physics accurate and the controls natural. I've spent a lot of time crunching numbers and running comparative tests against Mario to come up with gameplay that feels and plays faithfully to Mario. The goal is to make playing this feel like you're playing a Mario game. I'm doing this because I can honestly say I've yet to see any Mario clone/fangame ever, even outside of Graal, feel like an actual Mario game.

Oh yes. This is all in GS1, and will be a completely offline project. In the end I will take it, zip it up and upload it for people to play with. I don't think I will make an actual game with it. Chances are I will make a couple maps that showcases the reproduction and gameplay in lots of ways. Also, another reason this is offline is because I intend to rip and steal the hell out of Mario, thus I want to avoid any legal problems. Every time I try to do something like this I end up not being able to fulfill the graphical needs(especially sprites), and thus the whole project falls apart. Now it will hopefully feel AND look like Mario.

Where am I at right now? I think I'm pretty much done with the controls and physics, and now to add more interesting things like springs, boxes, powerups, enemies, stomping enemies...

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 01-31-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
doomsday used to have a side scroller that was an attempt to imitate mario, i think jubei made it. it wasn't very good though - it was really choppy and the jumping was way different

is this going to be released like the zombie game, or are you trying to put this on UN or something?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Released like the Zombie game. I can't put a rip online :P
Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Nice

Last edited by Soala; 01-31-2010 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: nevermind it works now
Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Nice, you should get the mario sprites, sound effects, and music going. There seems to be something a little off about your critical-peak of your jump; drops off too suddenly (something else?).
Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Nice, you should get the mario sprites, sound effects, and music going. There seems to be something a little off about your critical-peak of your jump; drops off too suddenly (something else?).
Well, Graal only runs at 20fps while Mario runs at 60. From what I could tell, the heights and such are right, but since Mario runs way smoother things will probably look stuttered or sudden on Graal. Also because of that I had to increase speeds to compensate for Graal only running at 1/3 of Mario's speed, which probably doesn't help. Sadly this is out of my control.

I just finished mapping the sprites out, now I need to create the gani's and implement them into the script.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Well, Graal only runs at 20fps while Mario runs at 60. From what I could tell, the heights and such are right, but since Mario runs way smoother things will probably look stuttered or sudden on Graal. Also because of that I had to increase speeds to compensate for Graal only running at 1/3 of Mario's speed, which probably doesn't help. Sadly this is out of my control.

I just finished mapping the sprites out, now I need to create the gani's and implement them into the script.
You'll have to make the Yoshi mount too. (epic mount)
Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 PM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
lol neat.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Update:
  • Added simple object interaction, like the boxes.
  • Fixed a lot of bugs with the hit detections and other random things that I missed.
  • Fixed the oversight of slopes not slowing the player. Now they do, as before they had(silly) actually increased the player's jump power if they ran up a slope and jumped. However, I noticed this was not true in Super Mario World.
  • Added sprites and sound, and I gotta say it makes a lot of a difference
  • Added a camera system to help focus on the level unless out of the 'boundaries'
Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Puts this to shame

Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
Did you make that? That's terrible
Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
UN Manager
SwimChao is just really niceSwimChao is just really nice
Dusty, you have done a phenomenal job at replicating the game. It looks a lot better than it did when you showed me the sandbox you had going!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
looks great Dusty, now add pressing down on slopes make you slide on your butt, pressing down on ledges let you drop through them, running and walking.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
looks good. looks very ok.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
pressing down on ledges let you drop through them
This is not a feature of Mario :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
running and walking.
That's been done since the start lol... I just never walk.