Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Unholy Nation Main Forum > Unholy Nation News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknite1 View Post
We're not taking UN and simply throwing it on an iPhone and calling it iUN and hoping players dig it up. Which is a REALLY big problem with posts in this thread. I think I've stated this before in my previous post, but iUN is going to be a whole lot different than what PC UN is. There will be more direction, playable content, and something that's going to capture the player's interest, whatever that might be. There will always be something to do.
I hope you'll delve more into that otherwise no one will want to give the interest to it that you have as well.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Bert
snoop413 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMelon View Post
I've always seen UN as an event/mini-game server. Monopoly, tower defense and the random fun mini-game events is the only reason I see to log on UN.
thats what most people do on the server. like C: said, the content on UN is old, and the current playerbase tends to overreact when that stuff is messed with. i think with iUN we can take the good from UN and introduce new things that both new + old players would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
I hope you'll delve more into that otherwise no one will want to give the interest to it that you have as well.
the same can be said about any server.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM
C:
devilsknite1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
Quote:
Of course we will
When we all collectively agree to release the plans for iUN it will make a bit more sense.
I personally want an iPhone Graal monopoly. Just throw everything on it and attempt to do it better than all of the other servers, along with having our own stuff. That won't be the case though lol
Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 PM
skillmaster19 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yeah, UN is built around what other servers make their extras. It's pretty much, as stated before, the first functioning iClassic server. However, that's kind of what has come to define UN, so that will not be lost in the development of iUN, but content more substantial will be present.
Yeah I agree with bluemelon, that's why I loved UN so much. Ideally, iUN would have an automated events system where one or more event(s) gets hosted simultaneously, and a script automatically manages them. Hosting events manually for thousands of players would not be possible, so automation would be necessary. iClassic events tend to be bad because it's next to impossible to get into one and they're always overcrowded.(they're manually hosted)

In order to convince stefan that iUN would differ from iClassic, tell him about the following differences:
iUN is more pk oriented

most if not all outside areas will be pk zones. iClassic has no pk zones in like 70% of outside areas, and a lot of players don't even participate on it and instead focus on roleplaying or collecting hats/ designing a house.

There will be more focus on gameplay than social aspects
iUN should focus their efforts more on playable content than customization. Hopefully quests and events will be released instead of a million hats.

Items will be more "chaotic"

This means that they can draw more attention and have more effects. On iClassic, items tend to be more "self centered", and do not affect others much or do much out of the ordinary. They generally make you do a cool animation or replace some(ie morphlings replace walk and idle animation), but offer no interactive changes.

Items on UN have always been fun and exciting. Some guy might strike everyone in the room with lightning, shoot and charge projectiles, and all kinds of weird stuff. These may be seen as detriments to the social environment on iClassic, which is why they have been avoided, but on iUN hey can be one of the aspects people enjoy.

Before asking to release, I'd ideally like to see:
10-20 events that fully work automatically by a system. Make sure some feel "outside the box" and unique compared to common traditional events like chance and racing events.
dozens of interactive items that show how UN will provide further depth with items rather than just being a cosmetic item.
Some quality quests or challenges that are fun to play. Don't make all of them pathetically easy or catered to casuals like iClassic does, make them challenging and fun. most of iClassic's quests aren't challenging at all and don't require you to think or play them well.

Basically I think you should have enough finished that shows him the quality of the server and how it differs. It needs to be able to have enough content to maintain players unlike iZone, and it needs to show the overall path you're taking towards it's design.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 PM
C:
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
Stefan has already OK'd the development though; I don't know if he's not worried about the collision between iUN and iClassic, or it didn't cross his mind, but we've been given the green light regardless. If anything, it should be a hallelujah for Graal since players that get bored on iClassic and like the theme, but are just bored will have a place to venture to instead of deleting the app.

Automated events are a must, I agree. Especially if you're dealing with ~2k players. Our events system will run a bit differently though, we're going to try out a few things and see what we like most, but the automated feature will likely always be implemented.

Some NPCs will be like those that are on UN currently, but we're going to try to stay away from those that are too manipulating to the victims of them. The "chaotic" atmosphere is actually what we're trying to dwindle down a bit, but we're certainly not eliminating PK nor disadvantaging players who work hard for a PK NPC to give them a boost or even another asset.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 PM
skillmaster19 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Stefan has already OK'd the development though; I don't know if he's not worried about the collision between iUN and iClassic, or it didn't cross his mind, but we've been given the green light regardless. If anything, it should be a hallelujah for Graal since players that get bored on iClassic and like the theme, but are just bored will have a place to venture to instead of deleting the app.

Automated events are a must, I agree. Especially if you're dealing with ~2k players. Our events system will run a bit differently though, we're going to try out a few things and see what we like most, but the automated feature will likely always be implemented.

Some NPCs will be like those that are on UN currently, but we're going to try to stay away from those that are too manipulating to the victims of them. The "chaotic" atmosphere is actually what we're trying to dwindle down a bit, but we're certainly not eliminating PK nor disadvantaging players who work hard for a PK NPC to give them a boost or even another asset.
Oh, good to hear he approves of it. I'm really looking forward to it, I absolutely love UN but stopped playing it because it hardly has any players and I have to pay to play it. If UN comes out for iPhone I will play it without a doubt.

But yeah, I kinda agree that the chaotic items should be more carefully considered. Pretty much anything that can be frustrating like the blackout on the katana or someone screwing up your chat with the whip should be avoided, but I still think items should be interactive
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
C:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillmaster19 View Post
Oh, good to hear he approves of it. I'm really looking forward to it, I absolutely love UN but stopped playing it because it hardly has any players and I have to pay to play it. If UN comes out for iPhone I will play it without a doubt.

But yeah, I kinda agree that the chaotic items should be more carefully considered. Pretty much anything that can be frustrating like the blackout on the katana or someone screwing up your chat with the whip should be avoided, but I still think items should be interactive
Correct. We have some abilities that take up the whole screen for 10 seconds, freeze the player for that entire time.... It's no bueno. So we're keeping the interaction, just eliminating some of the utterly unnecessary and semi-abusive portions of those NPCs.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Can't argue with the ugly aspect of it, certainly not the most aesthetically pleasing thing I've ever seen, but come on DS... Change your PCID and IP again and log onto any server. I'm sure you can find 10 things that are less functional than that on all of them. If THAT is the least functional thing on Graal, this game has some pretty high hopes.
I'm coming from a professional background, I'm not comparing it against things I find on Graal. There's no reason why you can't make something high-quality on Graal, it gives you all the tools you need, and makes it even easier than doing it in almost any other environment. Saying, "It's not crap for Graal!" doesn't mean it's not crap.

You're pissing in a sea of piss, why don't you do something nice for Graal instead of all the half-assed stuff? I tried to put some time in earlier this year for fun, but got screwed over after someone gave me the OK, I bought Gold, and got banned again after a week for some reason. I was even on the dev server because apparently I'm an untrustworthy scumbag.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 AM
C:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy002 View Post
I'm coming from a professional background, I'm not comparing it against things I find on Graal. There's no reason why you can't make something high-quality on Graal, it gives you all the tools you need, and makes it even easier than doing it in almost any other environment.
Aside from all of this being off-topic, I'll respond to this but will request that we keep the rest of this about iUN. I'll be happy to put this into PMs or something though.

You're right, it's plenty do-able to make things that are of great quality and look fantastic, but in the end they're just going to be ignored. You'd be lucky if the players used it for over a month. Either way, it has been receiving updates. Scavenging for players makes things pretty rushed. Easier to just release the base then make it look better afterwards now unfortunately

As for the second part of that, I don't think you can really blame precautions given all that you troll UN... Crashing clients, annoying animations, general ****-play with Relay. Should be expected. You had the dev server and even that was stretching it; no idea about a ban though. After a week and a half of no activity nor presence, it was decided there wasn't much use for letting something sit.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
There's no reason why you can't make something high-quality on Graal, it gives you all the tools you need, and makes it even easier than doing it in almost any other environment. Saying, "It's not crap for Graal!" doesn't mean it's not crap.
+1 to this.
I could hug you for this Downsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknite1
You're right, it's plenty do-able to make things that are of great quality and look fantastic, but in the end they're just going to be ignored. You'd be lucky if the players used it for over a month.
I don't quite understand this too well, good work being ignored?
Graal as a community when it sees high quality is usually admired and almost held in constant high regard.
If you look at iClassic or iEra, they're about a 2/5(being very nice about this.) in this regard and players still play it like it was Minecraft.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
After a week and a half of no activity nor presence, it was decided there wasn't much use for letting something sit.
I have a job, sports, and several big projects. If you looked at what I was doing I was starting to write a 2D physics engine for Graal, ala Box2D, and a 3D transform manager.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 AM
C:
Quote:
I don't quite understand this too well, good work being ignored?
Graal as a community when it sees high quality is usually admired and almost held in constant high regard.
If you look at iClassic or iEra, they're about a 2/5(being very nice about this.) in this regard and players still play it like it was Minecraft.
There are so many factors left out in that statement.
I thought we clarified that iClassic was played because 12-year-olds want an online girlfriend and/or boyfriend, not because admiration of the content they're looking at. The audience of these two servers are both not fit to judge game content as most of them have not even been alive long enough to have played enough games, nor are they scouting out A-grade content. They aren't really part of the "Graal community" anyways.
PC Classic's server had some great content and a really nice quest line. It was lucky to see 5 players on at a time. Plenty of well thought out and efficient systems. Sure people might have held it in a high regard, but no one played it.

Quote:
I have a job, sports, and several big projects. If you looked at what I was doing I was starting to write a 2D physics engine for Graal, ala Box2D, and a 3D transform manager.
If that was done on the development server, someone deleted all of the content and told me it was "under the direction of someone you know". Aside from that instance, I don't really hold any ground in that area.

Now can we please leave this topic to focus on iUN? Stupid me always wanting to respond...
Old 07-14-2013, 01:59 AM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I thought we clarified that iClassic was played because 12-year-olds want an online girlfriend and/or boyfriend
12 year olds... sure....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaTxvJCOdDA
Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
No offense to anyone; you're all wonderful people. But UN is a terrible server, sorry you had to find out this way.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
There are so many factors left out in that statement.
I thought we clarified that iClassic was played because 12-year-olds want an online girlfriend and/or boyfriend, not because admiration of the content they're looking at. The audience of these two servers are both not fit to judge game content as most of them have not even been alive long enough to have played enough games, nor are they scouting out A-grade content. They aren't really part of the "Graal community" anyways.
PC Classic's server had some great content and a really nice quest line. It was lucky to see 5 players on at a time. Plenty of well thought out and efficient systems. Sure people might have held it in a high regard, but no one played it.
I don't think you understand what I said.
I was talking about your statement of "we can make everything look nice and fantastic, but it'll get ignored for use within a month", this had nothing to do with iClassic as it was obvious it had to do with servers with high quality work done to them. My point using those servers despite their obvious problems, they still have a very mild amount of good quality for their players and that is what is keeping them in along with their community.
Also not to burst your bubble, despite how we segregate away from the iOS side of Graal, they're apart of the family now.
I also hate to say it, I'll probably get raged at for it, but Classic wasn't very appealing as a game, despite how much effort was placed into it.
I believed it really had potential, but it was way too slow of a game to get into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknite1
Now can we please leave this topic to focus on iUN? Stupid me always wanting to respond...
Nope.