Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2012, 06:26 PM
A decade of fun~ 'w'
linkrulz4 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to linkrulz4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
how u gonna hate on valve w/ that signature??
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Ya, what an absolute waste of $100. I also like that you open up by saying it's Gabe's Burger Machine... ya your opinion is not biased or skewed at all.
Not seeing the forest for the trees, bro.
Graal being hosted on Steam would wind up costing a lot more than $100.00. Only submitting to Greenlight costs $100.00 to have the game looked at, and possibly even denied that much. Why waste time and money when there are clearly other options available with more promise? In the long run, that's money Graal could have put elsewhere towards something that isn't as impulsive as this idea.The website itself explains there are numerous other fees involved that they do not make public. In the long run, I can easily foresee Graal paying more than what it's making. If you think Steam hosting is free, you're in dreamland. Think of that $100.00 fee as a ticket into a theme park, like Six-Flags; you paid the entry fee, but is everything in the park free to you? Hell no. You're still going to have to pay for all of those nice little additions to your experience there once you get inside. Ill-thought ideas like this nearly once killed Cyberjouers/Eurocenter and drove them into debt. If you value this game so much, you'd encourage more rationally thought out choices than joining a blind bandwagon.

Read up on Greenlight and you'll find people recommend Desura over it for this sort of thing. That is the better alternative. I am not sure why there is opposition towards it, when it's a community that Graal would fit in with much more than Steam's.

Last edited by linkrulz4; 09-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: added
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 PM
iphone era sad litle mads
Felix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Felix_Xenophobe
hey guys have you heard about DESURA
Originally Posted by Tashkin
I have done 10x the amount any previous EA has done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblade1979 View Post
What you need is Zone Police again.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM
A decade of fun~ 'w'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_Xenophobe View Post
hey guys have you heard about DESURA
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkrulz4 View Post
Read up on Greenlight and you'll find people recommend Desura over it for this sort of thing. That is the better alternative. I am not sure why there is opposition towards it, when it's a community that Graal would fit in with much more than Steam's.
This has nothing to do with the better medium, but the fact that Steam is the most popular/successful market on PC and Greenlight is currently getting a lot of attention. That means more potential players... on the other hand I have never even heard of Desura, and I doubt many others here have either.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
This has nothing to do with the better medium, but the fact that Steam is the most popular/successful market on PC and Greenlight is currently getting a lot of attention. That means more potential players... on the other hand I have never even heard of Desura, and I doubt many others here have either.
Desura is rather big as it is now, and is getting more popular. Still, Steam would be a way better choice.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 PM
A decade of fun~ 'w'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Desura is rather big as it is now, and is getting more popular. Still, Steam would be a way better choice.
Why would Steam be a better choice? What makes you think Graal would survive on Steam at all? Look at the games that actually make it on Steam and Steam Greenlight, and then tell me how Graal fits in with them. Not that you're obligated to do this at all, but I'd sure like to be convinced that Graal would have a chance.

Desura was made for indie games and indie developers to get their name out. Steam is obviously for much larger companies and already established games that have had their names out there for years. Indie games and mods that have made it on steam usually started elsewhere and became cult hits before even being considered, and there are plenty that made their debuts on Desura. There are lots of great games that they deny already. I don't see Graal fitting these qualifications at all, looking over its statistics in history.

The only thing that would be positive with Steam is getting the game looked at by a handful of people for a limited window of time, when we could already do that on Desura and keep it there for a lot cheaper. There are lots of games arguably on Steam Greenlight that look alpha as all hell, but they fall into two categories; no one is voting for them, or they already were widely successful elsewhere. People are literally trying to push most these games out of their queues if they look any less then then a game made by a major publisher. The worst part is that these are games that look much more fine-tuned than Graal, and most of them were made by a team of one or two people under the course of a few months. Looking at how much progress Graal has made over the last half of a decade, I'm pretty positive we don't have the manpower to compete. We need to find a better market that is suited to helping indie developers. That is not Steam.

Going back to Desura, the community is made for independent games. We'd probably have a higher chance of finding aspiring indie developers there too. The people there are usually very interested in projects like Graal, and honestly, this game needs a new source of inspiration other than the stagnant pool we've had since they closed down Classic accounts. Graal entering a community made for modders and indie games, with people who are usually willing to offer themselves to help projects be successful, would do it wonders. Maybe after that we could go on Steam and look presentable.

But seriously.
I really want someone to show me I'm wrong. So far, no one has made any real points against me beyond "whats desura" and "steam is popular".

Quote:
Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's the right place to put Graal. I don't think you're getting the point. Millions of people know what Desura is. These people are the kind of people that have a higher chance of helping Graal become something better than it is now, besides the casual Steam user that only wants to play games rather than develop for them. If a small community of one hundred people or so haven't heard of something, it doesn't make it any less of a better option. Have you even researched it? I'm curious.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Why would Steam be a better choice?
Your posts are too long, I'm not going to read through all of that. Popularity.

Edit: Screw that, read some of it. Your Steam arguments are mostly invalid. There are a lot of indie games that have made their debut on Steam without being popular before.

Also:
Quote:
But seriously.
I really want someone to show me I'm wrong. So far, no one has made any real points against me beyond "whats desura" and "steam is popular".
That is a good point already. Oh, and maybe you should make a few good points that show you're right, on the contrary.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
linkrulz4 is posting some pretty valid concerns really, you guys need to stop getting your panties in a bundle.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
linkrulz4 is posting some pretty valid concerns really, you guys need to stop getting your panties in a bundle.
In a humble indy bundle?

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
In a humble indy bundle?

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
I agree.

I wouldn't mind seeing graal (pc) more Facebook friendly before jumping to something such as Steam. Facebook is a valuable tool and I don't quite think graal is taking full advantage of it quite yet. I personally wouldn't mind seeing statistics for how many players use facebook to login to the iPhone servers.

The classic servers are starting to get better and better. Era looks great, Classic has some nice quality. Not really big on Zodiac (im a classic type slash and quest player).. But we now have a decent selection of servers. Hopefully (pc) can get a few other servers and we can start drawing in more players.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
-Post-
Don't worry people, Crow had a stroke and didn't know what he was typing, he'll be back to normal soon enough.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 AM
skillmaster19 will become famous soon enough
$100 is nothing, don't see what Stefan would have to lose, doesn't hurt to try.

Also I do a lot of pc gaming, and I've never heard of Desura.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Arch_Angel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Arch_Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillmaster19 View Post
Also I do a lot of pc gaming, and I've never heard of Desura.
yay for internets
Old 09-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
yay for internets

On other note, I still think facebook <-> pc would be better to start with, then proceed to other gaming companies to help drive traffic.

Does anyone else have any other places in mind besides Steam and Desura? We, the players, can start helping graal advertise maybe. Arn't there still top 100 sites around? Forums? Graal can be fun at times xD