Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
some ideas I have to improve player presence and participation

Events

allow constant access to events

events should be hosted more frequently if they aren't already (I'm unsure of this. haven't paid much attention as of right now) I remember I used to love playing unholy nation and n-pulse strictly for events. (fun fact: I stole the idea of "chance" from n-pulse and brought it to era) I still enjoy playing era events as well. in fact, it's the only time I ever actually play the game. bring back the event bot! I don't think I have seen it over the past few days I've been lurking on era. I feel like events should be hosted all the time around the clock so there's always something for players to do and fall back on when they are bored.

consider creating new events and revamping old ones that may not be used anymore. they don't have to be complicated. simple things can be just as fun as something like outbreak. look at 'staff abuse.' simple idea, simply executed, and a lot of fun in my opinion. simple events require less resources to develop, and they will help expand variety.

make event coins worthwhile

I already had the :awardguild option put in place a while ago to give players more of an incentive to play team oriented events. this way events like assault don't turn into an LMS with only one winner. this opens up a lot of opportunities for new team events.

I fully believe that the ec shop shouldn't include rare weapons. I see these items in the shop that cost 750 ec. that is extremely unrealistic and pointless. it's very unlikely that anyone will ever be able to afford that. playing 750 events is a challenge in itself let alone winning 750, so why is it there? to taunt players? move these items to the mvp shop.

the ec shop should consist of mostly novelty items, and it won't do any harm to lower the prices to make them more easily accessible because these items won't offer any advantages to players. any weapons in the shop shouldn't pose any significant advantage. for example, gas and the flying bomb. they are perfectly reasonable.

create prizes that only cost 1 - 10 ec that aren't consumables or only have one use. this way you can feel accomplished when you win an event and actually have something worthwhile to buy, collect, and show off. winning one event means nothing these days. so much work is put into winning an event and you get very little in return. it will give players more of an incentive to participate in events if there are a wide variety of affordable prizes to purchase.

Sparring

remove the detrimental aspects of losing a spar

losing shouldn't affect your death count. this is up for debate but I feel like players will be more likely to participate in sparring if they don't run the risk of damaging their k/d ratio. losing will still affect your spar losses stat.

buying revives should be eliminated and it should be standard to respawn outside of the spar level. I was actually the one who created the revive system, and at the time it was a pretty good idea. I feel like now it's unnecessary. this will definitely give people more of an incentive to spar. nobody wants to get warped to the hospital if they lose, and nobody wants to waste money on revives.

remove the $500 fee to reset your spar stats. this is an unnecessary money sink in my opinion. allow players to freely reset their spar stats at no cost at any time.

this is also debatable, but allow for unlimited ammo in spars, or at the very most have it deduct x% slower. so for example, if you have a clip of 16 bullets with a 25% return, when you deplete your clip and reload it will only deduct 12 bullets from your full ammo pool instead of 16. just an idea.

achievements and rewards

- win a spar with a flawless victory
- win a spar with a melee finishing blow
- win a spar with 20hp or below left
- win a spar with a traditional weapon (uzi/hand gun/shot gun)
- win a spar where the enemy bled to death
- win a spar within 10/20/30 seconds
- tie a spar

rewards for losing a spar? maybe you lose a lot of spars, but majority of your losses were a good fight. you only needed one more bullet to win. I think that should count for something. maybe offer a slightly higher ammo return in these cases. just a thought. this idea can definitely be expanded.

make the spar complex a hang out area where people an watch and participate in spars

move the spar complex to where the event house is now. move the event house to where the jail is because that building is rather irrelevant to be so close to unstick me anyway. bring it as close to unstick me as possible.

redesign the spar complex. have the main sparring floor in the main level. place it in the center of the level so players can freely walk around and enter other rooms with different sparring options. this idea is influenced by how unholy nation's town spar is set up. it may seem like a good idea in theory but I will admit it may look bad when actually done. it's worth a try I think.

these are just some thoughts I had that I think will improve player participation in the game. feel free to offer constructive criticism. you are free to disagree with me and even to expand these ideas with your own!