Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Banned
Yen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Yen Send a message via MSN to Yen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin
Even though I cringe at the thought of you guys trying to make a server much like maple story, I must say I really like the idea itself.

I really like seeing graal's engine being used for stuff deviating from the default engine. Gscript is a pretty powerful tool, and I like to see what all people can do with it.

One question, though:

Are you guys going to come up with a way to parallax backgrounds, or should that suggestion be thrown into future improvements?

It's not really possible, unless we made tiles for the background. If we did make tiles for the background, we'd need so many deviations of each 'edge' tile that 3/4 of the tileset would be eaten up.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:51 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Thread makin' time.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:51 AM
Grraaaaaw
Tom is on a distinguished road
We will probably, hopefully, figure a way to make the background interesting :P
And yea, maple story did partly inspire this project, but i started playing computer games in the 3D era and so this stuff is sorta unknown and really interesting for me lol.

As for looking anything like maple story, the only thing that are similer is that they are both platformers
Old 04-16-2006, 03:58 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Well, that's the game most people reference 2d RPGs to now, because they aren't old enough to know about classics like Actraiser.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
I've never seen a new server receive so much support, and I must say, for good reason. This has the potential to become a server of it's own. Immagine the rip offs you're gonna get! I love the movement system, as well as the gravity. There needs to be some sort of punishment for falling but great job (you also might want your own gani's, get rid of the shadow) Looking foward to what this can do.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:03 AM
Grraaaaaw
Yea :P we do plan to do alot more, such as dust kicking up when you run and when you hit the floor at certain heights. We basically just started but i love all the support and ideas you give.

It just gives the team a boost to finish and make it even better, i got a list of things to do, and i assure you, you really will enjoy the server!
Old 04-16-2006, 04:04 AM
Magnificent Bastard
I think it'd be wise for more people to aim higher than they have been in the past. It really bothers me when people tell me about their servers and say things like, "Well, it's going to be a modern server like Era" or "I want it to be a lot like 2k1 / 2k2" or "It's gonna be futuristic and a lot like Zone." The one thought I usually have is, "Why can't it be something not like anything else we've seen so far?

Raelyn's RTS server may be a little wierd, and I may have huge doubts about it, but at least he's not necessarily trying to imitate any other server. Ol' West is like that, too. It's these small things that a lot of people don't pay attention to, and a lot of that is what gets the best potential.

Tom, promise me you'll work hard on a magic system, too. :]
Old 04-16-2006, 04:07 AM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Can't wait to be playing this, Tom. I love your work, and this is definately a great idea to be using on graal. It's about time!

Quote:
*SlikRick: so should I even ask about your aim status?
*Xor: well if you want to
*Xor: but i am LARPING
*SlikRick: While on a computer?
*Xor: yes
*Xor: in my living room
*SlikRick: ahh
*Xor: i have a fort setup to hide from beasts
Old 04-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Grraaaaaw
The server we are using is Raelyns :P and hes contributed alot to the server. And now everyones looking forward to the server, i really wont stop now !
<3!
Old 04-16-2006, 03:54 PM
married to Okilian
Okilian will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Okilian
Quote:
Well, that's the game most people reference 2d RPGs to now, because they aren't old enough to know about classics like Actraiser.
That game was awesome. Well the first one was. Second one just made me cry.

Now, i feel old.

The platformer will probably, if all goes well, be a nice tweak to graal (sorta like one of the zelda fors nes...hmm)
Old 04-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Mister 1,000,000
GoZelda will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GoZelda Send a message via MSN to GoZelda
Oh damn what a pity my gold expired, now I can't play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
stefan is satan
I am the best.
[URL removed]Music or aural pollution?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
Question.

How will the world be like?

For some reason, I think of Maple Story, Mortal Kombat, and Super Smash Brothers.

It looks awesome, but what would there be to do?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Grraaaaaw
Well, theres loads really, ive got a long list which ive made from asking players of graal what they actually want :P

I will tell you one thing, you will defernately never get bored!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Banned
Yen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Yen Send a message via MSN to Yen
I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Graal's servers are, put simply, pieces of ****. They won't have the capacity to host the massive amounts of server <-> client communication needed to synchronize NPCs that move. I'm expecting the server to crash under more than 15 active baddies, no matter how optimized they may be.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:14 PM
the Professional.
Raelyn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Raelyn's RTS server may be a little wierd, and I may have huge doubts about it, but at least he's not necessarily trying to imitate any other server. Ol' West is like that, too. It's these small things that a lot of people don't pay attention to, and a lot of that is what gets the best potential.
For lack of anyone willing and/or capable of scripting it, the isometric tile-based server I was working on has bombed horribly, because you can't make a game with nothing but images. Which is why I wasn't at all hesitant to drop the whole concept and support Tom's platform.

I wanted to make a platform long ago, before I'd gotten into tile-based RPGs, however I was leaning more towards ActRaiser and early Castlevania style platformers, whilst Tom is aiming more towards Mario, Yoshi, and friends type of platform.

With any luck Tom will accept some of my ideas to give the server less of a childish feel to it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up, I imagine it's gunna be alot like the SNES's Super Mario World but with swords, magic and leveling up.

Since the switch off, I've become a much more minimal part of the server, financier, and I ganimate the baddies, that's pretty much it.