Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:21 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Why we don't have a trueskill system that determines the optimal match is beyond me. The popularity contest we call team picking is a joke. Matchmaking is a more favorable alternative.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Zvarri!
TESTRETIS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
Why we don't have a trueskill system that determines the optimal match is beyond me. The popularity contest we call team picking is a joke. Matchmaking is a more favorable alternative.
Something like that wouldn't be too hard to code at all.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
People complain far too much about random teams if they're the person on the not so great team.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
ELO systems on teams end up somewhat inflated
Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
If you look at CTF as either you win or you lose, then yes the odds are 50/50. But lets be honest here: team picking can swing the odds in one team's favor or another. As a GC, I try to prevent a large swing in odds as best as possible.

All I want is to have two evenly-matched teams enjoy a competitive game of CTF, because that is fair to everyone. Nothing more.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Remonq is just really niceRemonq is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
@ ranger's top post on the page.
Yes, a low playercount is an excuse for a low GP/GC/FAQ count. I personally try to only host quality events, and a 4 player event isn't a 'quality event' in my books. Other GCs might think differently; other GCs might agree with me. Regardless, I'm not going to try to force events just to try and raise the playercount. I personally don't find them fun to play nor watch, and so I don't host them.
it's an excuse for LOW, but the difference between low and completely inexistant is a HUGE difference. and it's not always about gaining players by hosting events. it's about entertaining the current players.

Quote:
Similarly, GPs aren't needed in mass number right now on classic. I don't ever hear about people hacking or anything nowadays. Honestly I don't agree with jailing people for swearing (excessive swearing or racism is another story,) but even then I don't see it as much as I used to. Thus you don't need a GP online 24/7 b/c, as far as I know, they wouldn't be doing much all day but glaring at people who swear.
i've discouraged hackers, taken care of spar lamers, when sparring was the thing and a few other minor things. and yeah, anybody who knows me know's i curse like a sailor. unless it's derrogatory i really don't care.

Quote:
Similarly again, FAQ aren't needed in great numbers on classic. We have very few quests that noobs need help with, and anyone that has a question can just ask any friendly player. I'm not saying FAQ aren't needed; they just don't need to be on 24/7 'just in case' some noob has a question or needs help. Obviously noobs are needed because they (hopefully) eventually grow into solid new players, but let's be honest here: FAQ is the least important of the staff positions. Now I can already picture you going off on that statement, saying how uninformed I am about your job and the role you play in the server. That's all fine and dandy. But let's be realistic. FAQs are needed when new content is released and people (noobs and current players alike) need help; FAQs aren't needed as much when the playercount is at 15.
who do you think i am? i'm more insulted that you'd think that i think so highly of myself than anything else. i know FAQ is the least important staff division. but the keyword that you said is "faqs aren't needed AS MUCH". they're still needed tho, just like all divisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
People complain far too much about random teams if they're the person on the not so great team.
i usually pick completely random teams. it creates hilarity
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
SomeOne
MiniOne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MiniOne
Random Teams are a lot better since chances of having a good team are 50/50 but only for certain events though.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
professional troll
pig132 will become famous soon enough
why is this server still up its so horrible
Old 03-10-2009, 11:22 AM
SomeOne
MiniOne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MiniOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pig132 View Post
To try bring it up to standard.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
You're all emotional about the server so why aren't you applying for a job too make a change to not only make you feel better but also give the server the attention it needs?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
It is still pages later and yet no one actually told me what they would do to be a better manager...
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pig132 View Post
why are you even here if its only to say that ?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
@All posts about team picking
It's not like CTF ISN'T hosted 8 times a day, right? The fact is, every team has a 50/50 chance to win regardless of team. But some people have been too spoiled upon team picking that they can't accept random teams like most other servers do for their events. Like I have seen Kill leave a recebt CTF because Thor wasn't on his team and Thor was probably the only decent one in that CTF, when the teams were randomed..

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
@All posts about team picking
It's not like CTF ISN'T hosted 8 times a day, right? The fact is, every team has a 50/50 chance to win regardless of team. But some people have been too spoiled upon team picking that they can't accept random teams like most other servers do for their events. Like I have seen Kill leave a recebt CTF because Thor wasn't on his team and Thor was probably the only decent one in that CTF, when the teams were randomed..
It isn't as clear cut as you will win or you will lose. There are many factors that come into play, such as teamplaying abilities, individual abilities, and the random factor (such as lag --either purposeful, or unintentional). Since team selection is basically a popularity contest, usually none of these factors are considered, so you may come out with teams of disproportionate skill.

Having a TrueSkill system to determine teams is an ideal choice, and since the math for such a system is already out there, it would be very easily created and implemented. Such a system would need to track various variables to determine player's strength on both individual and a team play level. Players would be paired according to this system. In the end we'd be closer to this '50/50' thing you're talking about. If a few players are upset that they can't play on someone's team and refuse to play, disqualify them and give them an infraction (and after X amount of infractions, a temporary event ban). GCs are not there to cater to the elitist whiners, they're hired to make the server more enjoyable for the majority.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Remonq is just really niceRemonq is just really nice
that all sounds good in theory max but to be quite honest we don't need to waste our scarce resources scripting something that intricate
Closed Thread