Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Private forums > Graal4 Forums > Graal V4 Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 AM
haunter is on a distinguished road
Level Editor/RC for Mac

I'm just wondering if there will be a Level Editor and RC for Mac coming out anytime soon that is not scripted. Does anybody know the current situation on these things? It doesn't seem to me that it would be any harder to port these two things to Mac than it was to port the client itself; but then again I don't know much about programming and such. What sort of hurdles are in the way so far anyway? I heard there was some issue with GTK or something?

I hope we can get application versions of these tools out soon! I'd really like to get back to working on Graal2001.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:40 AM
dark overlord
Lance is on a distinguished road
I can't put into words how strongly I support this. I think this is something that should be given a fair amount of attention along with v4. The ability to build worlds on Graal is part of the core of the game's appeal - why make it unnecessarily difficult for those with macs/linux PCs to make levels? I grant that the Online Level editor is a good/fun idea, but it still needs tons more work before it can even come close to what the windows offline level editor can do. Plus, the ability to make levels offline is a valuable asset. Scripts and graphics can be made offline, so why should level design require a constant (while designing) internet connection?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:52 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
I can't put into words how strongly I support this. I think this is something that should be given a fair amount of attention along with v4. The ability to build worlds on Graal is part of the core of the game's appeal - why make it unnecessarily difficult for those with macs/linux PCs to make levels? I grant that the Online Level editor is a good/fun idea, but it still needs tons more work before it can even come close to what the windows offline level editor can do. Plus, the ability to make levels offline is a valuable asset. Scripts and graphics can be made offline, so why should level design require a constant (while designing) internet connection?
I thought Linux had a level editor client.
Anyway, indeed. Should be added without a doubt.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
You can run the editor and the gani editor using wine, the recent version of wine can run it quite smoothly. You don't have that option on Mac though (at least not yet, soon Mac will use Intel .
Old 11-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
soon Mac will use Intel .
Could you please elaborate on that? This is something I've not heard of before, and I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean.

Edit:From what I gather you mean that I will have to purchase a new computer with an Intel chip in it in order to use these tools. I don't see how this is fair. I paid for this game, I should be provided with the features that I am buying... Wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graalonline.com
Players can use provided toolkits to create their own content, such as their own quests and even entire worlds. By using these tools, players learn to design interactive scenarios and basic programming skills. Players also work together on larger projects.
There is nothing there that says that these toolkits are only available on the Windows platform.

Why do you have to wait for the Intel chips to come out in Macs before you can provide us with the toolkits you said you would?

Last edited by haunter; 11-25-2005 at 09:38 PM..
Old 11-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Canadian
Nitro2030ce is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nitro2030ce Send a message via MSN to Nitro2030ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter
Could you please elaborate on that? This is something I've not heard of before, and I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean.

Edit:From what I gather you mean that I will have to purchase a new computer with an Intel chip in it in order to use these tools. I don't see how this is fair. I paid for this game, I should be provided with the features that I am buying... Wouldn't you agree?

There is nothing there that says that these toolkits are only available on the Windows platform.

Why do you have to wait for the Intel chips to come out in Macs before you can provide us with the toolkits you said you would?
Graal was origionally designed for Windows, was it not?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro2030ce
Graal was origionally designed for Windows, was it not?
And now it's (partially) available for Mac and Linux, what's your point?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
I only said that Linux users can eventually run the level editor and gani editor using wine, the others have to wait until the online level editor is finished.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Quote:
I only said that Linux users can eventually run the level editor and gani editor using wine, the others have to wait until the online level editor is finished.
I know that Linux users can run the level editor using Wine. I stickied an unofficial version in the Level Editing section of the forums myself...

What I'm saying is this. The graalonline website says that toolkits (RC, GraalShop and Level Editor) are provided with the Graal package to create worlds. No where does it say "Only applicable to Windows version". If you're not going to provide these tools for the Mac using customers you should clearly note that on your website or remove the Mac version completely.

It's not fair to these Mac customers. They download and pay for your product expecting to be able to create their own content with what they get. Providing an online editor won't cut it either because it doesn't say anything about requiring access to a playerworld to use these tools.

I don't understand why you're so reluctant to port the RC and Level Editor applications (meaning actual applications, not things made with GScript) to the Mac.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:42 AM
Graal Administration
Ok it seems that the widget toolkit GTK+ is finally available on MacOSX, so it might be possible that there will be a RC test version before end of the year
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Ok it seems that the widget toolkit GTK+ is finally available on MacOSX, so it might be possible that there will be a RC test version before end of the year
Ahh you mean X11? If the GTK thing was what was holding back Mac RC, whats holding back the Mac LevelEditor?

Oh, and thank you.