Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum > Classic Bugs and suggestions
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
The (New) New Hit Detection.

I -probably- won't be online at the same time as Master Storm (Polo) or any other bigwig, so I figured I'd express some of the issues that have came up since it was last changed yesterday.

I feel as though with this new HD, in order to spar you have you be very much up close, in fact extremely up close with your opponent in order to get a hit. The last HD it was said you could hit them "from a mile off" but it wasn't that bad in my opinion, although I did see room for improvement. Sometimes in the new (new) HD the hits aren't even counted. A few of the sparrers on Classic are feeling as though it could have a happy medium in meeting the old (new) HD with the new (new) HD, because currently the new one is too small of a range.

Not a rant or criticism, just a suggestion
Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Trip
Triptheballer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Triptheballer
new hd (hit detection)

Basically what Rufus said is right, the new hd calls for you getting too close to your opponent.

Id like to see what the median is like (say the old hd was "4", and the one now is "2", lets give "3" a shot)

Im glad MS is taking the time to try and adjust things, in the end im sure we'll get this right
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
I just tried it out, and I really have to agree. It just sucks. You ruined the fun when sparring ;[
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I just tried it out, and I really have to agree. It just sucks. You ruined the fun when sparring ;[
It was ruined about 2 years ago on Classic.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
The GST ought to script The Default Boring Hit Detection Script, and Classic ought to use it. Any coders that want something more dramatic should make their own damn server. -_-;

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
The GST ought to script The Default Boring Hit Detection Script, and Classic ought to use it. Any coders that want something more dramatic should make their own damn server. -_-;
Storm told me it wasn't possible to bring back The Default Boring Hit Detection Script.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Stefan should release all the details about the default system to everyone, in case they want to replicate it.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
A few of the sparrers on Classic are feeling as though it could have a happy medium in meeting the old (new) HD with the new (new) HD, because currently the new one is too small of a range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptheballer View Post
Id like to see what the median is like (say the old hd was "4", and the one now is "2", lets give "3" a shot)
It's half way between the two now, so should be a bit easier to it than it was this morning, but hopefully still stops people doing strange sideways hits. It's strange that people are saying the range seemed shorter, as it was only the width of the sword I changed (from 2 tiles to 1 tile, and now to 1.5 tiles), and not the range (which is 2 tiles, but I think should be 2.5 tiles to be more like the built in hit detection).

I'm also going to take a look at the recoil timings and such too to see if I can make combo's a little more natural to perform.

As always, feedback, comments and suggestions on the changes are not only welcome, but greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
Storm told me it wasn't possible to bring back The Default Boring Hit Detection Script.
Whilst it's not impossible to use the built in hit detection, when you have a wealth of scripts relying on the custom one, switching back is not a realistic decision to make. A custom hit detection also allows for a number of improvements to be made (such as guild alliances, and better hack prevention), and so it's a lot better to try and improve the custom one as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Stefan should release all the details about the default system to everyone, in case they want to replicate it.
The built in hit detection is done clientside, whereas most custom systems do the detection at the server. Because this changes the way in which lag affects things, a perfect emulation (in terms of the hitboxes and such) is not necessarily going to feel right for the players. That said, I don't think that having such information would be a bad thing.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache

Last edited by Polo; 06-27-2007 at 01:41 AM..
Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Maybe, but stuff like the exact coordinates and such of checking the attack could still be released. Instead of having to hit and guess each and every aspect that you're trying to replicate, until thinking you finally got it right.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
I think it seems better. Too many tie hits.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 PM
That Sword guy...right?
Zideruic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zideruic
Your hit detection sucks.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I seem to be having some issues with some of my hits not registering, and other people noticing my hits not registering too. I don't know what to say really other then that.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I seem to be having some issues with some of my hits not registering, and other people noticing my hits not registering too. I don't know what to say really other then that.
I agree. I think it's because we're in Europe...

I just wish they could ATLEAST have a clientside detection for SPARRING. Please?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Or, in sparring rooms you should directly connect the two players' hit detection, with lag-meters to account for one player lagging more than the other.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
Or, in sparring rooms you should directly connect the two players' hit detection, with lag-meters to account for one player lagging more than the other.
Win? :]