Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum > Classic Bugs and suggestions
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Ryan Smyth will be missed
Glefistus is an unknown quantity at this point
classic is a stagnant server we need some action from the development team
Old 02-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Elite Member
Torankusu has a spectacular aura aboutTorankusu has a spectacular aura about
no offense, but I'd rather play classic pre-2001. like, before we even had a graal 2.0 and 1.41 was the ****.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Really? I still got the files from Graal2000.
It's still a joke though - you can either use Graal2000 and Update it into another "HEY THIS ISN'T CLASSIC!", or you can try and permanently stagnate it in 2000, but either way nobody's gonna like it.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 02-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
Really? I still got the files from Graal2000.
It's still a joke though - you can either use Graal2000 and Update it into another "HEY THIS ISN'T CLASSIC!", or you can try and permanently stagnate it in 2000, but either way nobody's gonna like it.
Or simply add new content while preserving the old (which is something that hasn't been attempted so far).
Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoc View Post
Or simply add new content while preserving the old (which is something that hasn't been attempted so far).
It isn't "just preserving". You would have to go through old code, then interperate exactly what it is doing, then recode it for gs2. It is easier just to make new code, LET ALONE the old code was before some of the newer features even existed to make something better.

Put bluntly, it takes less effort to make something better then to convert the old.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:10 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see how difficult it would be to look over the key scripts (to quests, etc), writing a timeline of how things are supposed to work (what happened, what comes next, what does this impact, etc), and then scripting these things from scratch. It maybe a little more effort from the scripting aspect, but atleast you'd have a solid base to build from.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I don't see how difficult it would be to look over the key scripts (to quests, etc), writing a timeline of how things are supposed to work (what happened, what comes next, what does this impact, etc), and then scripting these things from scratch. It maybe a little more effort from the scripting aspect, but atleast you'd have a solid base to build from.
You said it exactly though, it takes a little more effort then making something from scratch in the situation.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:18 AM
Social Engineer
Personal Jesus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
You said it exactly though, it takes a little more effort then making something from scratch in the situation.

And with a little more effort you please alot more people.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Bowie's Deciple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal Jesus View Post
And with a little more effort you please alot more people.
who says what is being made now wont please people? when it fails then ill concede to that statement.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Social Engineer
Personal Jesus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
who says what is being made now wont please people? when it fails then ill concede to that statement.
You're supposed to listen to the playerbase and take their input on the server.

They want old content? You give them old content that's better than what it originally was.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:27 AM
Psionic Youth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoc View Post
*shrugs* If I ever see Unixmad again, I'll try and get permission to give you the files I had. There aren't many NPCs in the old levels TO convert, so it wouldn't take terribly long - you'd spend more time editing signs than converting the bosses and weapons. If bigmaps still work, you might be able to get away with default arrows and bombs too. Baddies will be the big problem.

The trouble with Adding new content while preserving the old is geographic. If you only add new content on the Fringes of the world map, you encounter 2 problems:
1, that the new content will be Very difficult to reach, as the old map mostly put walls where the world ended (It would be changing the map to have the "Danger, baddies ahead!" sign stop blocking the mountain path north) and
2, that the new content will take a long time to get to. You make a new quest beyond the Gerudo desert, assuming they swim through the 2-tile crack that isn't walled. That's a long way from level13. Eventually at least 1 editor will say "Hey, why don't I just convert this old empty playerhouse into a warphouse like CC?" This becomes "Hey, why don't I tear out the empty houses in Mod Town and put in this castle?", and eventually "Why not remove the MoD Fort and carnival and replace them with ones that work?", all the while hoping to preserve the Feel of Graal while updating it - "surely there's nothing wrong with replacing dungeons that were broken with ones that work the way their creators intended!" And lo, Bruges' swordsman quest and tower are resurrected, with working scripts...and someone says "Hey, this isn't Classic! This was never here! Boo, BS BS!", and you wind up with (tada!) Graal2000.

It's moot anyway though, because even if you get the levels exactly right it'll just be another server on the bottom of the playerlist, one with no newbies. And Graal was always 90% newbies, that's why PKing was such a popular pastime. You'll have a museum copy of Graal, a Nostalgia, a Silmaria.

But if you want, I'll ask. HellRaven, you're already approved by rite of inheritance but it'd be a backslide from where Classic already is. Mostly, anyway.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 02-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Bowie's Deciple
Quote:
*shrugs* If I ever see Unixmad again, I'll try and get permission to give you the files I had. There aren't many NPCs in the old levels TO convert, so it wouldn't take terribly long - you'd spend more time editing signs than converting the bosses and weapons. If bigmaps still work, you might be able to get away with default arrows and bombs too. Baddies will be the big problem.

The trouble with Adding new content while preserving the old is geographic. If you only add new content on the Fringes of the world map, you encounter 2 problems:
1, that the new content will be Very difficult to reach, as the old map mostly put walls where the world ended (It would be changing the map to have the "Danger, baddies ahead!" sign stop blocking the mountain path north) and
2, that the new content will take a long time to get to. You make a new quest beyond the Gerudo desert, assuming they swim through the 2-tile crack that isn't walled. That's a long way from level13. Eventually at least 1 editor will say "Hey, why don't I just convert this old empty playerhouse into a warphouse like CC?" This becomes "Hey, why don't I tear out the empty houses in Mod Town and put in this castle?", and eventually "Why not remove the MoD Fort and carnival and replace them with ones that work?", all the while hoping to preserve the Feel of Graal while updating it - "surely there's nothing wrong with replacing dungeons that were broken with ones that work the way their creators intended!" And lo, Bruges' swordsman quest and tower are resurrected, with working scripts...and someone says "Hey, this isn't Classic! This was never here! Boo, BS BS!", and you wind up with (tada!) Graal2000.

It's moot anyway though, because even if you get the levels exactly right it'll just be another server on the bottom of the playerlist, one with no newbies. And Graal was always 90% newbies, that's why PKing was such a popular pastime. You'll have a museum copy of Graal, a Nostalgia, a Silmaria.

But if you want, I'll ask. HellRaven, you're already approved by rite of inheritance but it'd be a backslide from where Classic already is. Mostly, anyway.
I wouldnt mind having your old stuff. If for any other reason, to run over it and grab some plot points. I am sure there are other things that would be useful, but i have no intention of completely putting up the old stuff. I think you can agree with me that its not the best way to go ; )
Old 02-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Psionic Youth
Oh heavens, if I had the server as it was when I left that woulda been shipped over years ago...sadly, after FTP got replaced with RC we started doing most of the edits online, gradually moving the process over until all I wound up with were the files emailed to me to upload...and I don't even have very many of those.

And Graal2000 had no plot points. You start on the cliff in level13, wonder what the hell's going on, either walk forward and get PKed or walk backwards and try to stay on the cliff until you're shot down, eventually learn that Master Li gives out the blood axe and Angel Clan has a heart if you can survive the PK honor-guard...

Old 02-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Bowie's Deciple
Quote:
Oh heavens, if I had the server as it was when I left that woulda been shipped over years ago...sadly, after FTP got replaced with RC we started doing most of the edits online, gradually moving the process over until all I wound up with were the files emailed to me to upload...and I don't even have very many of those.

And Graal2000 had no plot points. You start on the cliff in level13, wonder what the hell's going on, either walk forward and get PKed or walk backwards and try to stay on the cliff until you're shot down, eventually learn that Master Li gives out the blood axe and Angel Clan has a heart if you can survive the PK honor-guard...
I guess I misunderstood you. I have some older copies of the server, but it sounded like your copy was all like pristine tyhmland
Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
All right. Stop,
Collaborate and listen.
Ice is back with my brand new invention.
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop yo I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle
Dance, go rush to the speaker that booms
I'm killing your brain like a poisonous mushroom
Deadly, when I play a dope melody
Anything less than the best is a felony
Love it or leave it you better gain weight
You better hit bull's eye, the kid don't play