Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 AM
Rogue LAT
warriors94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to warriors94 Send a message via MSN to warriors94
Producing like rabbits.

Teehee... Another new level. I worked very hard on this one and tried to make as less tile errors as possible, (I'm sure theres atleast 2) I put in a lot of detail work and a lot of cliffing work. I hope you guys enjoy this level as I worked very hard on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal62.png
Views:	161
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	48529  
Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 AM
Rogue LAT
Aw shoot I forgot to do the water. I had this level finished but then it got messed up and I had to re-do all the detail (The picture I showed is after it got messed up.) I'll make sure to post it once I'm done. :]
Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Rogue LAT
Finished the water
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	graal63.png
Views:	141
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	48533  
Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 AM
fcmrcy
FaLLChiLD has a spectacular aura aboutFaLLChiLD has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to FaLLChiLD
I'd recommend added a little curving to your cliffing to make it flow nicely.

ex. (extracted from classic level collab image)

Name:	example.png
Views:	137
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	48534
Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Vega001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors94 View Post
Teehee... Another new level. I worked very hard on this one and tried to make as less tile errors as possible, (I'm sure theres atleast 2) I put in a lot of detail work and a lot of cliffing work. I hope you guys enjoy this level as I worked very hard on it.
I enjoy how you ended some of the cliffs.

I find that your detailing is on par for the amount of detailing on outside levels on a server such as Unholy Nation. It is decent but I would suggest adding more interesting tiles, such as layering or more trees, although I know it is difficult with your limited space.

I agree with FaLLChiLD in that I think you should try to make your cliffing a bit more curved rather than linear. If you supply me with the .nw/.graal level file, I can conveniently show you some of my suggestions.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLLChiLD View Post
I'd recommend added a little curving to your cliffing to make it flow nicely.

ex. (extracted from classic level collab image)
Eek, looking back at it there's so much I dislike about my level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors94 View Post
Finished the water
Your cliffs have some major errors in them. With a little bit of adjustment they can be fixed, though. You need to add some straight sides, using only diagonals is normal for people who are beginning to get better but eventually you'll realize it's ugly and balance diagonal and straight sides.

I circled the major errors in red and some of the minor ones in pink. A lot of your errors for the normal sized cliff could easily be fixed by viewing the pre-defined cliffs the editor provides you with. People underestimate how useful those are. As for the large cliffs, make a copy of the file and play around with them until you think you've fixed them then post again so we can help.

Your detail is getting better but at the same time you're developing (LEL NO PUN INTENDED!!1) bad habits. You're placing small blocking tiles everywhere which would annoy the player and don't aesthetically look pleasing anyway. Try to have your mushrooms, blocking dirt, etc towards the outside of where the player is supposed to be walking rather than placing them everywhere.

The cliff layout is interesting, the level is ok. You're getting better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	levelerrors.png
Views:	123
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	48535  
Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Fantastic job! Keep up the great work!!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Your water looked better when it was plain. I would use the blocking 'deep' water tiles very sparingly, because it doesn't make for fluid swimming. Additionally, your cliffing is too straight, too sharp and if you sit back and glance at it, it doesn't look very appealing.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:53 PM
SymphoniaPrince is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice I like it!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Always wondered why deeper water would block you.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
Always wondered why deeper water would block you.
I never liked it either, but it was added for G2k1, so they could block off islands and such so players couldn't swim to them.

Sadly, to my recollection there are only a whopping three water tiles on pics1, which really sucks when you want some alternative water tiles.

edit: actually, there are more than three, but they're used for things like the water-cliff bottoms and such. There's no 'spares', so to say.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Rogue LAT
Heres the file.
And also if someone could point out the tiles and how to use them that would be great
Attached Files
File Type: nw new68.nw (9.2 KB, 109 views)
Old 05-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Rogue LAT
Fixed the cliff errors to the best of my possibilities, also made the cliffs more circular.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	graal64.png
Views:	113
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	48551  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Vega001 is on a distinguished road
The easiest way for me to show you what tiles to use and how/where to use them is to supply you with them used in a level that you can refer back to.

I have edited the level you supplied me with and attached it. I have also included a screenshot to help explain a few things.

I will begin with the red circles. These areas are places where I added a straight (horizontal or vertical) cliff so that your cliffing does not seem too zigzagged.

In violet, I circle parts of the grass-dirt layering just off the water cliffs that I detailed in an effort to make it more interesting. I do not think expanses of grass-dirt layering that is straight (including diagonally) look very nice.

In green I circled an effort to place a horizontal cliff on the water cliffs. The problem I find with this specific side of the water cliff is that it does not fit very well with the surrounding tiles so I tiled it the way I have. It does seem a bit awkward.

In brown I circled how I merged all of the deep water together. Logically, it players will not be able to swim through it, but I ignored this fact for the sake of visual appeal and thought it would like good this way.

In black I changed your tiles for the porch of the house. I consider using this tiles instead of the ones you previously had as they have smaller gaps and less of an incline illusion (they appear more flat and more suitable for a walkway)

In yellow is another extension of a vertical cliff to help make your cliffing flow more smoothly in that area.

The light (almost teal) blue circles are places where I used a certain design that Jave and I both use for these cliff sides, it involves placing a single tile at the bottom row (you will understand if you look closely). I find they fit nicely but others might disagree.

Finally, in dark blue, I attempted to redesign the topright section of the cliff. Originally, I did not think I would be able to smoothly create the in and out curve and made it flat. But after a few hours of experimenting I arrived at the place in the level and screenshot. Some parts of it might not be the best choice of tiles, so I might refer to someone else for tips in that area if I were you; I am not very experienced in that specific section of cliffing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panther-edit.png
Views:	114
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	48552  
Attached Files
File Type: nw new68-edited.nw (9.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Rogue LAT
Took some of Vega's ideas and added some of my own.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	graal66.png
Views:	129
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	48565