FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 01:01 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
I see a lot of serious claims about how time was invested in that post without any sort of evidence to support them.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
60% of players focused on sparring? I seriously doubt that. I doubt that even 30% of players were focused on that.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 AM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
I remember finishing all the "quests" on UN in '07 in 1hr~1hr30min. I don't even have 100 hours on it. I'm usually only on it for at most 15 minutes and then bail. UN has never appealed to me. Make it happen.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:05 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
I remember finishing all the "quests" on UN in '07 in 1hr~1hr30min. I don't even have 100 hours on it. I'm usually only on it for at most 15 minutes and then bail. UN has never appealed to me. Make it happen.
Make what happen?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:56 AM
Absolut_Crono is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_bald6225 View Post
Make what happen?
Therein lies the issue. If we simply develop more random things, it wont really help the server long-term. But if we take on huge projects, our Development staff grow bored and quit mid-project. Especially scripters. Once that happens, the next scripter to take on the job has to rewrite the entire thing because "it would be easier that way", and then they quit mid-project as well. That has been the story of UN's large projects over the passed few years in all honesty.

To Hiro, I was always very interested and supportive of CW, as Mystic says I asked him about it pretty regularly. The real issue was the Development Manager did not focus on CW at all. Mystic had to find his own scripters, with the exception of Ben Rain, who approached me about it before he became PWA. This lack of support from his higher admins on the Dev side probably led to a good portion of Mystic's lack of enthusiasm. When I spoke to Luca about it, I was told the scripting would be replaced with another project's framework (the same type of thing I was talking about above), but that never came to fruition either.

Anyhow, Unholy Nation's focus was never on 'Events' or 'Sparring', the only focus the server has ever had was to create things players want, whether it be things such as the rings, or things such as the Rare Items. The real issue is both that either players no long want these items, or cannot get them because of the old playerbase no longer playing and trading actively. From what I recall, trading was more the focus than anything else if we tried to pinpoint something accurately. With the economy in the poor shape that it is in, related to ep duplication largely, players dont want to buy things for the inflated prices. EP and item trading were probably the worst ideas to hit UN, because you no longer had to play events to win event items. That being said, most people loved the item trading and auction houses, so it's a double edged sword.

The conundrum we are in, is that if we focus on large, meaningful projects, they will likely never come to fruition, and if we focus on small, meaningless projects, nobody will be happy, including me. We have to work on a mix of these things in order to prosper is the conclusion I have reached, and is what I am working on implementing now. The remaining issue is getting people who are willing to work on anything for the server nowadays. UN doesnt have the draw of 'most popular' server by numbers like it used to, so we have far less developers interested in it than we used to.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Make UN appeal to me. A whole server focused on events and sparring is all fine, but what I can't stand is the unorganized mess of a server it is.

I hate UN. I hate Enigma. I hate Bravo. I hate N-Pulse. I hate Delteria. I hate Zodiac. Why? Everything is cramped into the smallest spaces possible. Fix it.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Make UN appeal to me. A whole server focused on events and sparring is all fine, but what I can't stand is the unorganized mess of a server it is.

I hate UN. I hate Enigma. I hate Bravo. I hate N-Pulse. I hate Delteria. I hate Zodiac. Why? Everything is cramped into the smallest spaces possible. Fix it.
That would be a much larger project than just me saying "ok, will do". Fixing the server completely would probably take longer than creating a whole new server from scratch, because there is little-to-no uniformity in a lot of the old systems. Not to say it isnt something we want to work on, just that it's not something that would happen quickly.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:33 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut_Crono View Post
stuff
You've got a 'Dev Manager' who can't finish a damn Newbie Course, fix that.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:

It's the only server that really hasn't redone itself script-wise to an extent since it's release (as far as i know. No idea how much was redone when the new gmap released).

As Cron-Star has said, the amount of time that it would even take to make the substantial changes UN would need is pretty extensive.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 10-16-2010, 04:52 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
As Cron-Star has said, the amount of time that it would even take to make the substantial changes UN would need is pretty extensive.
It seems like he's using that as an excuse. That is no reason for them to not still attempt to improve the server.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 AM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
=
Anyhow, Unholy Nation's focus was never on 'Events' or 'Sparring', the only focus the server has ever had was to create things players want, whether it be things such as the rings, or things such as the Rare Items.
UN's focus has never been rings or rare items. Most players find the NPCs annoying and lame
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
That would be a much larger project than just me saying "ok, will do". Fixing the server completely would probably take longer than creating a whole new server from scratch, because there is little-to-no uniformity in a lot of the old systems. Not to say it isnt something we want to work on, just that it's not something that would happen quickly.
Where in that do you see me making an excuse Kia? I said it is something to work on, but it wont happen overnight. In fact, it will take a substantial amount of time. Most of UN's base scripts are either in GS1 or patched GS1 for functionality purposes. We would have to redo the entire server to make it efficient, otherwise it wouldnt be worth working on at all. It'll just break when V7 comes out.

No, that's not a typo. V7, as in the next upgrade after this one.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
UN is all about novel items that are silly for 10 minutes and then lose their appeal and are sold to the highest bidder, lather, rinse, repeat. It was never about the enjoyable experiences that any player was able to take part it, only the rare item-economy!

e. because you posted: It's funny because the whole paragraph you quoted is exactly where it looks like an excuse. And then the new thing you posted along with it looked sort of like the same excuse reiterated. And I'm willing your next post will too!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
UN's focus has never been rings or rare items. Most players find the NPCs annoying and lame
That's highly inaccurate. I have played UN fairly consistently for over 6 years, and I can assure you Manta's Rare Items and projects were the focus for a good half of that time at least.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
It seems like he's using that as an excuse. That is no reason for them to not still attempt to improve the server.
That's not what I meant. They should look into improving the server extensively like that. Although the idea of rescripting the server was proposed, and 'started' by Rage/Luca months ago, but never came to fruition as Rage is busy, and Luca is just Luca...

If you ever had a first-person interpretation of UN internally, things are not as easy to accomplish as you would think

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)