Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM
o.o
Switch has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Switch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblade1979 View Post
Why are you people complaining? Are you volunteering with Stefan or Unixmad to help make new content?? Well are you? No I see you on here complaining about this stuff. If you don't like it then you don't have to play.
Actually I PMed Stefan to help find bugs o_O VOLUNTEERING OWNT SONNN!
Quote:
Paying money to develop playerworlds...sounds reasonable. Your using THEIR bandwidth and computer space just for people to play your world.
PLUS once the server gets Classic you don't ever have to pay (for it) again, making it more of a reason to get there. Plus more people will be on, unless it's a crap server.
Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:00 PM
oldbie
brock128 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Paying money to develop playerworlds...sounds reasonable. Your using THEIR bandwidth and computer space just for people to play your world.
This is reasonable if you ignore the fact that they developed a server that you can run on your own computer, costing them no money, and then proceeded to strongarm their way into banning the client. You can only really find it on anti-graal sites at this point.

As for volenteering, they're a company at this point, so if we're paying them I don't expect to have to "volenteer." If it were still freeware, that would be a different story.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock128 View Post
This is reasonable if you ignore the fact that they developed a server that you can run on your own computer, costing them no money, and then proceeded to strongarm their way into banning the client.
1. The servers you buy from Graal now have far more features, capabilities (NPCServer, more scripting commands/capabilities) and capacity than 1.39 servers.

2. The only thing they really did to make it more difficult to get 1.39 was remove it from the site (like they've done with every old client version ever). Despite your claim that they "strongarmed" their way into banning it, I haven't seen/heard about anybody being banned for 1.39 in years.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 AM
oldbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi View Post
1. The servers you buy from Graal now have far more features, capabilities (NPCServer, more scripting commands/capabilities) and capacity than 1.39 servers.
So? They still don't give you the option to host your own servers, because they don't make a profit that way.

Quote:
2. The only thing they really did to make it more difficult to get 1.39 was remove it from the site (like they've done with every old client version ever). Despite your claim that they "strongarmed" their way into banning it, I haven't seen/heard about anybody being banned for 1.39 in years.
I recall them going so far as to threaten to sue people for distributing 1.39. Maybe it was gossip or something, I donno.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 AM
retired graal veteran
k_killar is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to k_killar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfKenshin View Post
Yea sometimes i forget why i play graal. It's something i always come back to even though it's pointless. I just think that people who have servers that are somewhat the same should come together to make one server because then they are more likely to have a better quality server.
agree
Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
So? They still don't give you the option to host your own servers, because they don't make a profit that way.
Much like they don't give out free gold accounts, etc.

Quote:
I recall them going so far as to threaten to sue people for distributing 1.39. Maybe it was gossip or something, I donno.
The crackdown on 1.39 seemed to have more to do with who was using it than with making money. They were the hardest on it when they had the least money to lose (back when it was pretty much free and there were no paid server rentals) and have become progressively more apathetic towards it the more it could potentially threaten profits (introduction of total p2p, paid server rentals, etc.)
Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 AM
Rediculously inactive
Horrified is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Horrified Send a message via AIM to Horrified Send a message via MSN to Horrified Send a message via Yahoo to Horrified
Quote:
Why are you people complaining? Are you volunteering with Stefan or Unixmad to help make new content?? Well are you? No I see you on here complaining about this stuff. If you don't like it then you don't have to play.
I'm working on a server like many of these people who post and work towards it's succession when in the end, Stefan and Unixmad are gaining from this, because either way (fail or succeed), they pocket at least $100 and maybe a new playerworld to attract players.

This isn't even an argument, too. He just wants to know what everyone's favorite old client/etc. was, what they believe would make graal the best, etc. You trying to take it up like this makes it into an argument.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but the thrill of Graal is that you go and make this game people will want to play with people who work with you, and you all never ask anything in return from anybody. You all just do this really cool project and have fun with it...it wouldn't be the same with pay.

If you made them pay, people would be working to make money, without the whole "It's a community effort" aspect it has. It would also be less of a game and more of a job.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM
oldbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi View Post
Much like they don't give out free gold accounts, etc.
If people hosted their own servers, they wouldn't even need gold accounts.

But, once again, they don't do that because it cuts into the profits.

Quote:
The crackdown on 1.39 seemed to have more to do with who was using it than with making money. They were the hardest on it when they had the least money to lose (back when it was pretty much free and there were no paid server rentals) and have become progressively more apathetic towards it the more it could potentially threaten profits (introduction of total p2p, paid server rentals, etc.)
Again, I don't remember it too well, soooo...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Sorry but please stop discussing illegal things. There was a free server for v1.27 and before which was only allowed for use in local networks. There was another server which was stolen, and nothing can stop us from doing something against people that steal our property. Thread closed.
Closed Thread