Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
ffcmike ffcmike is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 2,029
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
the only problem i see with that "just start all over" approach is classic is the last one still standing . I'm still puzzled by your decision to leave classic in dev stage but that's your decision . many great things were built up on shaded tho and removing the whole arka story line, removing all the cutscenes and making whole new ones, making whole new quest's just seem's like one big step back to me . its even more complicated by the staff not being concerned what so ever at repairing the server but piddling with stupid new stuff that only gets halfway done before the staff disappear never to be seen again . I'm just saying they should TRY to keep what remains of the server before they just go gutting it . cujo seem's to be under this idea as well .
Ofcourse it doesn't always work out as it's a long term approach and as you say staff rarely remain committed for long enough, among plenty of other reasons. The concept however is that it's a big step backward from something which isn't working that would allow a server to eventually take 2 big steps forward. By sacrificing time in the short term and giving yourself a clean slate to work with, you're making development quicker and easier in the long run. To continue adding on top of an out dated foundation can be a struggle, to attempt to simply re-work it can be time inefficient.

As we all know what's good in theory isn't always good in realistic practise, the simple but realistic approach may often produce more of an end product than the ambitious long term approach, and to some this is better than nothing. At the same time however the quicker end product is less likely to push the boundaries of quality and offer something unique to Graal. So I suppose it's best to weigh it up according to the priority.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 AM
skillmaster19 skillmaster19 is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 392
skillmaster19 will become famous soon enough
Hmm it was renamed to "Shaded Legends"(plural).

Discuss.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Devil_Lord2 Devil_Lord2 is offline
David K?
Devil_Lord2's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA, MD.
Posts: 643
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
This isn't dead yet?
Of course not! It is only getting started!
On the 18th when I'm free from college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
then go removing everything, your not bringing the server back . you just rummaging through it for anything that fits your need and tossing everybody else's hard work in the garbage like its nothing but scrap heap . that's real assuring .
The old quests, which are not at all quest like, will be revamped
and still used as subquests. I don't want to remove what we can
still use. From what I remember and have seen, even as an FAQ
I NEVER knew what the storyline of Shaded Legends was... It
either didn't show through the quests, or it was only me.

Regardless, the puzzles weren't that puzzle like, the fight content
... well I did not see much of any fight content... I'd like to give
it a more static story line with what you've told me about the old
into and making it more creative and more integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
I'd just remake the whole thing; completely trash everything and just start over. But I guess you guys don't have the common sense.
Why trash everything when it is there to be used?
Sounds like a complete waste of time to me. ^.^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
This isn't specifically a dig at Shaded Legend, but I decided it was best to start over with Classic, Npulse's staff decided it was best to start over with Npulse, Atlantis's staff decided it was best to start over with Atlantis, Delteria's staff decided it was best to start over with Delteria. The previous versions of these servers remained on the list for quite a few years after Shaded Legend dropped off it.
I guess it depends what list, they have all dropped off hosted and classic.
Therefore in my mind disappearing from Graal visibly. I'm told Shaded
was taken off due to it being asked to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
many great things were built up on shaded tho and removing the whole arka story line, removing all the cutscenes and making whole new ones, making whole new quest's just seem's like one big step back to me . its even more complicated by the staff not being concerned what so ever at repairing the server but piddling with stupid new stuff that only gets halfway done before the staff disappear never to be seen again . I'm just saying they should TRY to keep what remains of the server before they just go gutting it . cujo seem's to be under this idea as well .
The whole Arka story line remains the same from what I was told it was supposed to be like. It being recreated from the start however...

Your father was killed by someone, you blame Arka,
Arka pushes you off a cliff, Arka puts a village on fire.
However, the village on fire will now be on the gmap.
(This means it will actually resemble the gmap village this time)

The server is and has been being repaired, we will not
be starting over, only the official main questline will be.
The Arka quests, if I can find them, may be still used
but probably revamped to hold more content and be
more fun to everyone.

Also, I try to have staff members work on something before leaving, therefore when they do leave, something was at least received out of it. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
The concept however is that it's a big step backward from something which isn't working that would allow a server to eventually take 2 big steps forward. To continue adding on top of an out dated foundation can be a struggle, to attempt to simply re-work it can be time inefficient.
Exactly, however we don't want to take a big step, only a small step back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
At the same time however the quicker end product is less likely to push the boundaries of quality and offer something unique to Graal. So I suppose it's best to weigh it up according to the priority.
My thoughts are now on Unholy Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillmaster19 View Post
Hmm it was renamed to "Shaded Legends"(plural).
Discuss.
I'm told, the idea was at first single player game.
Becoming the Shaded Legend was the main objective.

The server is now multiplayer, and can hold many a Shaded Legend.
Therefor I suggested that it be called Shaded Legends...

There can be many a Shaded Legend on Shaded Legends.

That wasn't what the main reason was however, I feel it sounds better off the tongue...

Hey do you want to play Shaded Legends
vs
Hey do you want to play Shaded Legend?

It could be just me, Shaded Legends makes more since when talking about it to another person, and I'd love for others to talk about it to another person. ;]

Therefore slightly helping in advertisement...
Of course no one talks about names all that often,
so for the average player, why should it matter?





Anyways, on the 18th I will most likely be able to redo Super Rewards and start back up on making Shaded Legends a better place. We are also looking
for more players to join us in helping us improve the server.

Plans so far.. will be known after the Intro is finished and the trailer is out. :]
We still have some ideas that we aren't too sure about, but for the most part
we believe will be incorporated to the game.

I want the main focus to be on Quests however many other things to do.
Ideally two teams of staff will be needed, since quests are the main focus
and it is never good to release everything at once, we need one team on
content always being released, content like clothing, weapons, subquests, etc. Main content will be released every few months.

I'd like to have more creativity towards the actual quest-line so it creates more anticipation towards the storyline but still pertains to their other wants
like collecting things, or being the best at something.

Don't worry, like everyone else's server,
we believe we know what we are doing.

I won't go further into some details,
many of you will only have to wait.

Some threads aren't letting me know when
there is something new, sorry.
__________________

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz



Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Kiwi27 Kiwi27 is offline
Not the fruit.
Kiwi27's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 173
Kiwi27 will become famous soon enough
Did your 'enter' key break?
It'd be nice if you could edit that. Take away some of the illogical gaps and make the post look a bit shorter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Devil_Lord2 Devil_Lord2 is offline
David K?
Devil_Lord2's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA, MD.
Posts: 643
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi27 View Post
Did your 'enter' key break?
It'd be nice if you could edit that. Take away some of the illogical gaps and make the post look a bit shorter.
I did! Spacing things out make things easier to read. :]
I create gaps between quotes, subjects, and after I'm
done answering quotes, I'll separate my own statements
from the rest of my writing or complete separate subjects.

I also like to keep things in block format because to me
it looks better, neater, and also easier to read.



One should also use topic headers, and bullets.
Other posts are usually all together and much
more boring to read. Using personal experience
and what was learned in Technical Writing classes.
__________________

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz



Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Loakey_P2P Loakey_P2P is offline
SL Oldbie
Loakey_P2P's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 137
Loakey_P2P is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Loakey_P2P Send a message via Yahoo to Loakey_P2P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
I'm told Shaded
was taken off due to it being asked to be...


The whole Arka story line remains the same from what I was told it was supposed to be like. It being recreated from the start however...

Your father was killed by someone, you blame Arka,
Arka pushes you off a cliff, Arka puts a village on fire.
However, the village on fire will now be on the gmap.
(This means it will actually resemble the gmap village this time)
you are correct, the total number of dev players in the whole community was dropping fast . so i contacted people to just have it taken down .

the whole arka story line (when i was never a big fan of) was as such . as told to me by james, ben and other staff .

out of some weird circumstance you ended up killing arka's father . so arka came after you, you killed him or thought you did which lead up to the intro where he found you and you thought he was dead . after that you lost you'r memory which is where the players adventure starts . as you progress through the story you learn bits of the past, but still have no clue whats currently going on or whats to come . some time through it you learn about the worlds "spar tourney" for lack of a better word and discover about the shaded legend . most of the story is just chasing arka as he searches for power or weapons or a certain person (hell if i know) .

most people want to debate about it being shaded legend or shaded legends cause everyone will eventually become one however this is all just a waste of frickin time . does it really matter that damn much ? its just a game, a story line . don't sweat the petty details just enjoy the damn game .

as to the quest's being redone as i have done stated, many of them really could use some new levels as most were just simple and plain . more so i hope the idea of bosses are not taken out cause that was half the fun of em . some of them could use some tweaking with dialog and story line . I just hope it's not a whole lot . the whole puzzle thing was never that big on SL . we did one or two small ones but it has been used so much that it's really just old .

It was seen so many times on other servers we got tired of seeing the same old thing rehashed so the consensus was to try and make it more original . The whole multiplayer thing was ... well never given a thought . the bosses were a pain to do solo but if you throw in several people they become easy . Making the baddies one way for solo and another for several was just a waste of time . Time we could be using to add more content or improve pre-existing stuff . Not to mention shaded wasn't zodiac, or the other twelve servers that wanted to make a WOW server . In addition having to do stuff alone meant it kept players busy while awaiting new stuff to be released . instead of showing up one day, completing all the quest's, collecting everything they could and leaving never to come back . a lot of the players time was spent trying to get through the quest to the baddie, then figuring out a good tactic to defeating him . so you were lucky to beat one quest a day .

The basic idea of shaded was to keep with the "classic" style while throwing in some original and custom stuff . In the beginning they wanted to go with a rpg style server but it wasn't long till that was abandoned for a more classic style . You will notice there are no default baddies used as we kept to custom ones like the bat and the rock . the same with weapons, one of our biggest problems was other servers coming out with stuff we started working on . Frankly it's a big disappointment that it don't get the recognition it deserves .

instead people just show up on forums saying this suck's, that suck's, you suck . so much negativity towards one of the oldest server's in graal history .
__________________
Shaded Legend Playerworld
-Past accounts - LoakeyTheElf - Loakey_P2P
-Past Servers - Rune - Sparitoria - Shaded Legends
-Past Sl Jobs * ET/LAT/NAT/LAT Admin/Developer/Admin/Head Admin/Asst. Manager/Manager
-Current Job - Retired

*Sorry you must have mistaken me for someone that cares .
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 AM
Devil_Lord2 Devil_Lord2 is offline
David K?
Devil_Lord2's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA, MD.
Posts: 643
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
the whole arka story line (when i was never a big fan of) was as such . as told to me by james, ben and other staff .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
out of some weird circumstance you ended up killing arka's father . so arka came after you, you killed him or thought you did which lead up to the intro where he found you and you thought he was dead . after that you lost you'r memory which is where the players adventure starts .
Yep, this is exactly how the new intro is so far.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
as you progress through the story you learn bits of the past, but still have no clue whats currently going on or whats to come .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
most of the story is just chasing arka as he searches for power or weapons or a certain person (hell if i know) .
So far so good... We have some neat plans along the way for this too, which you haven't seen or heard of so far.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
some time through it you learn about the worlds "spar tourney" for lack of a better word and discover about the shaded legend .
Talk to me more about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
most people want to debate about it being shaded legend or shaded legends cause everyone will eventually become one however this is all just a waste of frickin time . does it really matter that damn much ? its just a game, a story line . don't sweat the petty details just enjoy the damn game .
We can either ditch it or go with it, you told me it was part of the storyline and I'm trying to go exactly with how you say it, in a way I think will be creative for everyone. This is up to you. :x

It can either be becoming a Shaded Legend, or living a Shaded Legend, both are quite discretionary at this point. Your pick!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
as to the quest's being redone as i have done stated, many of them really could use some new levels as most were just simple and plain . more so i hope the idea of bosses are not taken out cause that was half the fun of em . some of them could use some tweaking with dialog and story line . I just hope it's not a whole lot . the whole puzzle thing was never that big on SL . we did one or two small ones but it has been used so much that it's really just old .
If ZeroG is still with me on this, quests will be much more quest like, puzzles will be longer and better in content as well. ZeroG likes RPG and Roguelike type things, find food for this person, take shoes to that person, names are given, it will be alright. If he is not with us, I will take longer in programming it, but I believe I can pull it off as well. (You'll notice when I say all this I'm mainly including my self, should everyone leave, I will work alone should I have to. While trying to reach out to others, and possibly get some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
Making the baddies one way for solo and another for several was just a waste of time .
We could just have it take how many are in a room into account for more health, that could be built into ZeroG's quest system possibly. Or Thyme could make it... programmers don't get alone all that well from what I've noticed. Thyme doesn't want help from anyone else, ZeroG does not want help from anyone else... It is a great personal trait to have of course, but it can... well... stagger productivity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
In addition having to do stuff alone meant it kept players busy while awaiting new stuff to be released . instead of showing up one day, completing all the quest's, collecting everything they could and leaving never to come back . a lot of the players time was spent trying to get through the quest to the baddie, then figuring out a good tactic to defeating him . so you were lucky to beat one quest a day .
This is why I've mentioned facebook to you, people like trying to be the best, collecting things, or achieving things. Things like having hats does work. So we will have hats, metaphorically speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
You will notice there are no default baddies used as we kept to custom ones like the bat and the rock . the same with weapons, one of our biggest problems was other servers coming out with stuff we started working on . Frankly it's a big disappointment that it don't get the recognition it deserves .
I believe our baddies will be fine, I can't say the classic hit, blink, and come back baddies will be there, but they will be fine.

As for recognition, people either like it, or have their own 'home base' that they will stick up for, putting other servers down on impulse. Maloria became Classic for about a week... most people are not willing to give up their main servers, they will however come on, say oh yeah this is cool, and go back to where they came. Unless of course they are magnificently impressed... However, when playing Maloria, one didn't know what to do... or maybe this was only myself. We have fixed that on our server... We will have to reach out to others who don't normally play PC too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
instead people just show up on forums saying this suck's, that suck's, you suck . so much negativity towards one of the oldest server's in graal history .
I think you already know the personalities of most of the people on this forum, they aren't anyone to be worried about.

I just sent this to someone on Graalians, but this goes for everyone else.

Quote:
“Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.”
― Jesse Jackson
Most people on this forum, or from what I've seen so far PC version of Graal, will give impolite... well I can't say criticism since they don't give reasons...
I'm not sure what to call it, they are only insolent.
Anyone giving judgement without reasoning should be taken lightly.

I'm sure you can see taking people lightly causes hatred in them too.
So you could always lie and pretend to understand which I will refuse to
do.
I don't kiss up, and I am not afraid to debate with
someone if they are willing to use logic..

If someone is correct, and can prove they are correct,
I will admit defeat, apologize, and move on.

I suggest not doing this if you actually want to make friends,
no one really cares about honesty.
__________________

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz




Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 05-16-2012 at 03:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Devil_Lord2 Devil_Lord2 is offline
David K?
Devil_Lord2's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA, MD.
Posts: 643
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
I really need to update the first post.
I've only asked one people about it.

Currently I have not had time, and due to Thyme working on the OLE,
I need to set the LAT Contest back a few days once again. Not going
as I had planned... OLE cannot be used right now.

I've made a flow chart for Shaded Legends.
Next I'll work on some graphics to show
where we are at and what needs to be
finished.

This chart will keep changing of course.
Flow Chart

I'd also like a timeline chart of updates. :]
Later on when I have time and more info..
__________________

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz



Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 PM
skillmaster19 skillmaster19 is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 392
skillmaster19 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi27 View Post
Did your 'enter' key break?
It'd be nice if you could edit that. Take away some of the illogical gaps and make the post look a bit shorter.
Yeah, it helps prevent it from looking like a massive wall of text. I like the gaps.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 PM
MattKan MattKan is offline
the KattMan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 1,325
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillmaster19 View Post
Yeah, it helps prevent it from looking like a massive wall of text. I like the gaps.
His text looks awful and if you disagree you're just not allowed to have an opinion. He should use normal paragraphs like this to avoid having posts that take over the whole page.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 AM
James205 James205 is offline
The Shaded Leg
James205's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,649
James205 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to James205 Send a message via AIM to James205
What the hell is Shaded Legends? It has NEVER been plural. NEVER.
__________________
-James205
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Devil_Lord2 Devil_Lord2 is offline
David K?
Devil_Lord2's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA, MD.
Posts: 643
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
I'm having the original post changes since I'm trying to use a series of organizational improvement methods.
I wish Graal Online Communication Center forums had spoliers like Graalians do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James205 View Post
What the hell is Shaded Legends? It has NEVER been plural. NEVER.
Sometimes an s is not used to show plurality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKan View Post
His text looks awful and if you disagree you're just not allowed to have an opinion. He should use normal paragraphs like this to avoid having posts that take over the whole page.
That doesn't sound just to me.
You've managed to say my whole Technical Writing class is wrong too.
__________________

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz



Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Devil_Lord2 Devil_Lord2 is offline
David K?
Devil_Lord2's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA, MD.
Posts: 643
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Thanks Darlene!

What is new...

Shaded Legends Facebook
Well, Shaded Legends does have a Facebook! Not very new...

Shaded Legends Website
CujoDaMan will be working on a website for us, time not known.

Shaded Legends Status
Shaded Legends will have a status sheet telling of the progress we are at,
what needs to be done, and showing our goal. (Currently under heavy construction)


Shaded Legends Update Timeline
You will notice we also have a timeline where staff members
can upload anything they would like to show players that they have
been working on, I will try to do the same with what others are working
on as well. (Currently under heavy construction)


Shaded Legends Flow Chart

The flow chart shows the storyline of Shaded Legends, a flowchart of what
one can do on Shaded Legends... This may contain spoilers, be warned.


Shaded Legends Hiring Applications
Finally, players can use the new applications spot to see many of the
applications that interest them. Graphics and examples will be included.
(Currently under heavy construction)

Anyone can view any of these six links.
__________________

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz



Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
James205 James205 is offline
The Shaded Leg
James205's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,649
James205 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to James205 Send a message via AIM to James205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
I'm having the original post changes since I'm trying to use a series of organizational improvement methods.
I wish Graal Online Communication Center forums had spoliers like Graalians do.



Sometimes an s is not used to show plurality.



That doesn't sound just to me.
You've managed to say my whole Technical Writing class is wrong too.

No I am saying you're wrong because it's not called Shaded Legends. I don't care what your high school education says. I originally created a server called SHADED LEGEND and adding an s to the end doesn't make any sense at all. That's not the title and it will NEVER be.

Go back and correct your mistakes and quit acting like you're right. Listen to people once in a while.
__________________
-James205
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by James205 View Post
No I am saying you're wrong because it's not called Shaded Legends. I don't care what your high school education says. I originally created a server called SHADED LEGEND and adding an s to the end doesn't make any sense at all. That's not the title and it will NEVER be.

Go back and correct your mistakes and quit acting like you're right. Listen to people once in a while.
This.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 Toonslab All Rights Reserved.