Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Question out of curiosity...

After playing and working for Graal for a long period of time, a lot of people have been really negative about me playing Graal because of my age, and the fact that I am a parent in real life. This has been going on since the beginning of my playing Graal, so it is not because of my being an admin on the forums, or being a Manager of a PW.

I am really curious as to why players feel this way, and if there are any other older adults that play that receive the same treatment.

I do realize that Graal is a game geared more towards younger teenagers, but does that mean older adults should not play?
What about video games that are geared more for the younger generation?

I have loved Graal from the very beginning for many reasons. One being the fact that it had a Zelda feel to it, and I am an avid Zelda fan, always have been.
I also love the fact that I can meet and converse with people from all over the world which is very interesting to me.

I have tried other online games that seemed to have similar game play, but I did not like them. (Note: I mentioned no names, No discussing them please)

Please give me honest answers without being hateful. I would really like to know the reasons behind why players have a problem with older adults (or just me) playing.
I have my own theories, but I would rather not voice them, but would rather see if I am correct.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST

Last edited by Darlene159; 06-20-2006 at 08:57 PM..
Old 06-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned
p2p_Sir_Link is an unknown quantity at this point
I love the middle aged women on the game, ask Bell.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Starting not to love you
Curt1zzle has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Curt1zzle
Anything out of the norm is always discriminated against.

If something is geared towards a certain age group, you're always going to raise an eyebrow when you're not in the majority.

Another reason, a bit more indepth and psychological, is because people look at you like a parent figure. This creates a conflinct because I've run into several younger kids on this game who have a horrible family life and no sense of love at home. They log on Graal to escape their parents, or family. By you moderating the forums and acting sort of like a mother, if you will, you're the exact thing they're running from.

You and younger kids both take a break from reality by playing Graal, however, you interfere with some of the younger player's escape.

At least that's how I see it...

There goes my daily post!

This message has been deleted by Sam. Reason: you should better stop it now
Old 06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt1zzle
Anything out of the norm is always discriminated against.

If something is geared towards a certain age group, you're always going to raise an eyebrow when you're not in the majority.

Another reason, a bit more indepth and psychological, is because people look at you like a parent figure. This creates a conflinct because I've run into several younger kids on this game who have a horrible family life and no sense of love at home. They log on Graal to escape their parents, or family. By you moderating the forums and acting sort of like a mother, if you will, you're the exact thing they're running from.

You and younger kids both take a break from reality by playing Graal, however, you interfere with some of the younger player's escape.

At least that's how I see it...

There goes my daily post!
Very interesting...
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.

READ>THINK>POST
Old 06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
We stop playing because we grow old

We don't grow old because we stop playing
Old 06-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Chris is on a distinguished road
They were abused as young children.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
We stop playing because we grow old

We don't grow old because we stop playing
That explains nothing.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.

READ>THINK>POST
Old 06-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned
-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to -Ching
I'd think I'd disown my parents if I even saw them spending more than 2hours on the internet, or if I caught them playing Graal. I wouldnt even admit to my IRL friends that I play Graal or even talk to other males online.
Though I dont judge middle-aged people playing Graal, but I certainly wouldnt want my mum or dad coming online and playing games or even talking to online people. Though I think the internet is viewed differently in England than it is in America.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159
That explains nothing.
The older you get while spending lots of time playing games/interent games, the sadder it gets. The way society works these days.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Bells doppleganger
nikomi946 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to nikomi946 Send a message via AIM to nikomi946 Send a message via Yahoo to nikomi946
Naturally I get much of the same response as you but if you really think about it, its only a few, not the majority. My personal opinion as to why those that attack do it is because they want to see if they can get you angry. It usually annoys the hell out of them when it doesn't work. Most of the more mature group of graalians don't really care about age. In fact they don't dare because I bet many of them will still be around themselves from time to time when they catch up to you in age. At least you don't try to hide it, you're open and honest about the fact you aren't still a kid. Just roll with it and have fun, its a game!

As far as many of the other games go, I don't play them because I don't play well with kids my own age. They tend to annoy the crap out of me most the time.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ching
I'd think I'd disown my parents if I even saw them spending more than 2hours on the internet, or if I caught them playing Graal. I wouldnt even admit to my IRL friends that I play Graal or even talk to other males online.
Though I dont judge middle-aged people playing Graal, but I certainly wouldnt want my mum or dad coming online and playing games or even talking to online people. Though I think the internet is viewed differently in England than it is in America.
Why would you disown your parents for those things?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
The older you get while spending lots of time playing games/interent games, the sadder it gets. The way society works these days.
I do not understand why it is sad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikomi946
Naturally I get much of the same response as you but if you really think about it, its only a few, not the majority. My personal opinion as to why those that attack do it is because they want to see if they can get you angry. It usually annoys the hell out of them when it doesn't work. Most of the more mature group of graalians don't really care about age. In fact they don't dare because I bet many of them will still be around themselves from time to time when they catch up to you in age. At least you don't try to hide it, you're open and honest about the fact you aren't still a kid. Just roll with it and have fun, its a game!

As far as many of the other games go, I don't play them because I don't play well with kids my own age. They tend to annoy the crap out of me most the time.
Actually, for me, it has been more than just a few over the years, but you are right when you say it is not the majority.
I think there is more to it though then them just trying to make me angry for most. There is a reason.
I do have fun regardless of what people say. As I said, I am just curious as to the reasons behind it.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.

READ>THINK>POST
Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Era Developer
Bl0nkt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bl0nkt
I doubt your age is the #1 reason behind your discrimination. It's merely a tool to use against you in times of argument and frustration toward you.

Can you guess WHY most people don't like you? ;o

On the other hand, Iluvulongtime.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:39 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159
After playing and working for Graal for a long period of time, a lot of people have been really negative about me playing Graal because of my age, and the fact that I am a parent in real life.
Most who are doing it likely don't care about your age, but rather they dislike you and attack you using any means they see available.

You should redirect such people towards me and I can show them that you do plenty of legitimately criticizable things and they don't have to rely on criticizing your age.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
You should redirect such people towards me and I can show them that you do plenty of legitimately criticizable things and they don't have to rely on criticizing your age.
Ohnoes it's Googi, run before he gets you! His confusing tactics will melt you :'[[[[[[[[[[[[
Old 06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl0nkt
I doubt your age is the #1 reason behind your discrimination. It's merely a tool to use against you in times of argument and frustration toward you.

Can you guess WHY most people don't like you? ;o

On the other hand, Iluvulongtime.
Do tell. Keep in mind that this has been going on since the very beginning of my playing. It was worse when I first started playing, so you can't use something recent as an excuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
Read above^
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.

READ>THINK>POST
Closed Thread