Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 AM
iismike is on a distinguished road
A thread i hope stefan reads

It bothers me to hear so many people say graal was better in 2001, 5 years of development shouldn’t yield a negative product. The truth is, graal has developed a lot of useful and cool features and I do accept them as such. However I do have an opinion on the matter as many do but I’m going to do my best to make a really solid post that might get a good discussion going about graal and I will hope and hope that Stefan will read this and maybe keep it in mind.

Here’s the thing, to summarize what my perspective on what’s happening it is this: Graal keeps developing on potential and has not realized nearly enough. As soon as the competent graal team dropped out from classic and started working on 2001 and all these new projects I saw a big problem coming. Graal tried to reach for a dream of being a popular mmorpg (one I understand but trust me if your going to go into that market and be a generic pay per month role-playing game, get ready to go to the back of the line because huge development teams have already put out way to much competition for you guys to do very well)

Graal is not an MMORPG, it never will be and to develop it as such is just silly. Kingdoms has 13 people on right now, graal's greatest feature is the community and the freedom. If you look at what brought in the most people it was the simplicity, and the guilds and incredibly basic sparring system. People don’t want large scale things here.. That’s what made graal nice, it was small and modest and the level editing and scripting was fun and easy. I’ve seen a terrible thing happen to classic, the npcs are gone, the quests are gone and nothing works right. I could go and play Java graal and at least then I wouldn’t have to worry about killing myself in an attempt to shoot an arrow!! To much effort has been put into the engine but now that graal is P2P you cant possibly rely on nice people to maintain these servers for you, classic is currently run into the ground. And with all this effort being put into a 3d game and a mmorpg you could have saved and stuck to maintaining what you had and making it better. Make the clients different, all the staff at classic tell me that the reason everything is broken is because they are trying to (with no staff but a couple part time lats) rebuild classic with gscript2 and a gmap. Why does classic need this? it doesn’t. If the team were to restore classic to what it was level and quest wise, put it up with some of the new features but keep the gmap and gscript away then it would probably grow again and with less ridiculous stuff to deal with you’d also get more staff and it would flourish again. Stefan I understand your a coder and you want to make things secure and smart and modern, but for all those people who want that can play on kingdoms. Nobody appreciates it on classic simply because they want a Zelda ripoff like graal used to be, 15 hearts, no pk tags and a freaking lizard sword.
Also if say Classic was made free, no string attached, you’d bring in a lot more people and eventually they would get hooked just like I am and they would want to start a guild or try kingdoms or WHATEVER. But ever since graal went pay you’ve been milking the same group of people for money because there’s so few new players who are willing to pay for a game like this when they can get one of the million already made korean 2d mmorpgs or world of warcraft. You have an audience though, I’m part of it. However you’ve let graals content die because so much time has been spent making the engine so dynamic and full of potential that servers like classic aren’t even keeping up and are degrading at a really bad rate!! I love graal, but i don’t care about gscript2, its to much for any of the servers I play and I have no intention of playing anything that doesn’t feel like grail. I dont love the concept of graal3d, Its too complicated and you don’t have the resources to compete with any of the billion other 3d mmorpgs. I want my zelda online.. I want basic community driven gaming and you can’t do that with all the complications that have been made. I don’t think classic needs an npc server, and i don’t like that graal castle was removed for a billion things nobody cares about. We don’t want complicated minigames and that garbage, everybody just wants a big empty castle to try and steal the throne from.. There’s some who care about graal being pulled into the new generation, but please help classic.. rebuild your fanbase and i promise if you have a free classic again with the way it was right before it went pay you’ll have a server running with 300+ people who will eventually buy VIP for a guild or get gold to try Era or Kingdoms, and I guarantee you that if you put more emphasis in simplicity and fun you’ll have a bigger audience again. Please Stefan save classic, i know you’ve moved on from it but its your baby and it was so beautiful once. As a developer you must feel bad about what’s happened to it, its a simple and fun place to chat and have guild wars ect but you shouldn’t have to pay for it.. I know you’ve heard it a lot and you need the money but hey I promise if you don’t force people to pay to play (because the principle of paying for such a basic game has scared away so many people) they will get into it enough to pay, and a lot more than what your currently receiving. So I hope you believe what im telling you to an extent, to know that classics been better and was so good at one point and is gone now is just making me crazy. You have the power to bring it back to what it was right before it went pay, and it is a good buisness decision.

I know you probably wont read this or believe me, but graal has a way smaller playerbase, if you could capture the essence that brough over 400 people to classic alone at one point then you will have that pool of people and they will pay for guilds and whatever you can get them on. Not only that, but if graal has a bigger playerbase it will attract more people because the game is fun only when theres lots of people around! so it will expand again and be optomistic.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
If you don't understand why Classic needs an npc server and rescripting, your whole post is moot.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned
Thallen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Thallen Send a message via AIM to Thallen Send a message via MSN to Thallen Send a message via Yahoo to Thallen
Unfortunately, a lot of the people who actually play Graal, rather than sit around on these forums and make a bleek attempt at sounding smart or resourceful, agree with you, and Stefan doesn't seem to care.

Skyld, do not reply to this with a "you're so negative" post either, because after all these years, I think it's true.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Archon Omen
HunterCano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HunterCano
Playerworlds are the problem, i think. Thats whats not improving. I only find things to do on, gk, era, and un. Everywhere else is just like sparring and chatting, and finding an active area to pk in is rare.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
I think Stefan should quit any project hes doing, take ownership of Graal2001 and don't give it to someone who will kill it or remove the things I & others loved the most in Graal2001.

Yeah.. about it lol.

Speaking of WoW, I lost like 4 'online' friends to that game. Probally more, just don't talk to them because they are barely on aim.. Verlela ;O!

..yeah.. I say we destroy World of Warcraft, and free the minds back to the people. kk, glad that's settled.

Now what if Graal Classic was made savable for Trials so I can see the classic server back up.. higher then Unholy Nations and Era again? It will definitely bring in people.. as I've heard so many great things about Classic.. just can't find them.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
You're so negitive
I personally think Graal should try to raech out, advertise (I say that all the time XD), maybe make a better java version, some graal free, maybe you get 1 week free p2p with an account, etc. Give new payers more raeson to play.
But that being said, the community is growing, new playerworlds are sprouting up that may be the clasic servers of tommorow. Let me ask you something, if you are so worried about community, how many of your friends have you converted to graalians? How many Graal t-shirts have you bought to wear around? Currently, Stefan is relying on word of mouth, in other words you. Quit blaming him. Graal's a great, fun game. Sit down and play it a bit. Graal 3d is going to increase the market as well. With easier developement tools, I'm sure we can even get more new players becoming developers. Graal is and will be a great MMORPG, so don't worry about it. Give it some time, the playercount is going up, more people are kearning how to develope, and Graal is growing. God, what's with all the this crap? Actually look around, there's a new member of the forums almost every day, and there's always a good supply of noobs to PK. Graal's not only growing, it's getting better.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuJi
Now what if Graal Classic was made savable for Trials so I can see the classic server back up.. higher then Unholy Nations and Era again? It will definitely bring in people.. as I've heard so many great things about Classic.. just can't find them.
As much as I'd love this to happen, there's nothing to do on Classic.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:25 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
yea hope stefan reads this so that you 3 winers can get what you want, the past back.... >,>

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:07 PM
random
Krakken is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Krakken Send a message via AIM to Krakken Send a message via MSN to Krakken
Well the simplicity is what attracted me to Graal in the first place. I don't play any of the complicated servers because - to be frank - I just can't be bothered to learn the system or work my way up. Quests are fun, events are somewhat fun if done right but most new technology involves a lot of work and is discarded within a week.

My point? If I wanted a complicated game to play I'd go play Ragnarok or something. Graal used to have the "fun" that no other did but now it's gone.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Travesty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdor
yea hope stefan reads this so that you 3 winers can get what you want, the past back.... >,>
I hate to tell you, Graal 3D enthusiast, but there are a whole lot more than three people who support such an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakken
Well the simplicity is what attracted me to Graal in the first place. I don't play any of the complicated servers because - to be frank - I just can't be bothered to learn the system or work my way up. Quests are fun, events are somewhat fun if done right but most new technology involves a lot of work and is discarded within a week.

My point? If I wanted a complicated game to play I'd go play Ragnarok or something. Graal used to have the "fun" that no other did but now it's gone.
I support you completely. I think management saw that they were able to make money off of making players pay to play their game, so they figured if they further advanced it, they would bring in more cash. I don't understand why they don't make a completely different client for this "Graal" past it's early years, so then players could pick if they'd rather pay for/play the real Graal Online, or this new, cliché "MMORPG" that it's trying to become.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:32 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty
I hate to tell you, Graal 3D enthusiast, but there are a whole lot more than three people who support such an idea.
well u cant get the past back, unless you build a time machine.
and im sure graal 3d will be realy awesome =)
and when the playerworld creators get thir hands on the engine it will be even more awesome =))

My Albums
Quote:
Old 05-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Travesty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
and when the playerworld creators get thir hands on the engine it will be even more awesome =))
Make a different stand-alone client for Graal 3D then, and give us real players back 'the past.' Build a time machine, I guess.

Just think about that, careless game managers, with one client for Graal Classic/real playerworlds and another for Graal 3D/gun playerworlds, you could make twice as much money!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
You certainly have been on the internet long enough to learn that substitution of `you' and lack of punctuation makes your post look ridiculous, regardless of its content.

Graal3d has been in a "will be realy awesome =)" state for multiple years now. Your blind enthusiasm is not a more worthwhile position than "wanting the past back".
Old 05-15-2006, 07:16 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Loriel! be quite, by speaking your mind about my post wont help at all.

My Albums
Quote:
Old 05-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Loriel! be quite, by speaking your mind about my post wont help at all.
  1. quiet
  2. won't
  3. sentence structure
  4. thread structure

Do not even get me started about capitalisation.