Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2003, 02:53 AM
Playerworld Administrator
HoudiniMan is on a distinguished road
As far as i know we will be inspecting all PWs at some point, but nobody ever said they had to be made public. This is more for the team's information.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
Then why the hell do you want to inspect them?
It's our job.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:06 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by HoudiniMan
It's our job.
By whose assignation? Who said that you were supposed to inspect these servers?
Old 05-15-2003, 04:17 AM
Beam me up, Scotty.
MadWolf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MadWolf
Quote:
Originally posted by HoudiniMan
As far as i know we will be inspecting all PWs at some point, but nobody ever said they had to be made public. This is more for the team's information.

It's our job.
Wow, because in the past this happend alot eh? Not to my knowledge.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:17 AM
VIP runned out
ETD is on a distinguished road
people seem to miss my point...

If Stefan gave someone permission to have a server, and he set them up... why would the PWA have the authority to go in, and shut them down, unless Stafan asked them to?

what would be the point of him letting someone have a server, if the PWA just shuts them down?

I don't think they have anything to hide... but how would you like it if the police just walked into your house, and started looking around? you probably have nothing to hide... but they shouldn't be there.. i know i'd be mad
Old 05-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Banned
_0AfTeRsHoCk0_ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to _0AfTeRsHoCk0_
Okay, a lot has been said, but this is what I think should be done:

No, we won't release information about under construction servers to anyone. We won't come on here tomorrow and say "well I was just on shifting ages lolo here are some screenshots" and post pages full of them, nor will we post detailed information about quests, levels, NPC's etc. We respect that you you want keep everything secret and not let the ideas get leaked out so others can capitalize on them or start making speculations.

However, what I have seen in the past is that a lot of these playerworlds that have gone private will go up, then just take their sweet time, accomplishing almost nothing up until the point where all development is at a complete standstill for months for no valid reason. It could have been because the manager slacked off, or they lost interest and are using Graal's server space as a pet project. Some UC PW's even host others' projects and let them use their private server for their own enjoyment. This is what we are trying to put an end to.

I proposed the idea to Stefan a while ago that maybe once a month we go onto these private servers and ask the managers/developers "Okay, it's been a month, what progress have you made?" If they explain what they have done, and maybe show a couple things (they are not obligated to show us everything, but we'd like some proof of development) then we are happy and will say "Okay, thanks, see you in a month". If the server has done 2 levels and created a new idea in a months time, then this is a cause for concern. If we come back the next month and they've made only 2 more NPC's and another level, then we will suggest the removal of this playerworld. We can't have servers taking, literally, one year to finish a small island which will be the preview of their "bigger and better playerworld", only to have it removed AGAIN and put to private.

Stefan is a busy guy, he cannot keep tabs on every single server and their development on a regular basis. I remember him telling me he wanted all private servers released within a couple months. This was last year, back in October/November. Look now. Half the servers on the playerworld list are under construction. A lot aren't complete. All we want to do is see what you've been doing, how you are going, so we know if you're actually trying or are just messing around. That is all.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Script Monkey
I agree that some servers need to be inspected, but not all. You say that you proposed the idea, but what was the feedback? How long ago was this? Did he specifically say that all servers should be inspected? If not then it seems to me that you guys are outstepping your bounds.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:19 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
I agree that some servers need to be inspected, but not all. You say that you proposed the idea, but what was the feedback? How long ago was this? Did he specifically say that all servers should be inspected? If not then it seems to me that you guys are outstepping your bounds.
I proposed this back just before I quit the PWA, you can even ask Angel. Stefan said that this was a good idea, but he wanted to release the PW's very soon, in a couple months. Then Angel and I (mostly Angel) went around pushing these private servers for information and asking them what they have done/expected release dates. Releases of Frolic and Gaia were the result of these pushes.

I think all servers should be inspected. I don't consider it stepping our bounds because we don't have the actual power to say "you're getting shut down, buddy, say goodbye" but we're merely an investigative and informative group to Nemesis and Stefan and Unixmad on these issues. It's a bit bureaucratic, but there is no way the three of them can get everything done alone if they have to do it themselves. If we started inspecting these UC PW's (which I plan to once I talk to Nemesis) then we won't be pushing for amazingly fast progress within weeks, we understand that everyone has a life and that ideas come gradually and slowly but enough to have something tangible and playable after a few months of work. I don't see why everyone is getting hyper-sensitive about this issue, because it would really be no different if Stefan came onto your playerworld and asked what you've been doing and how you are going.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Script Monkey
Quote:
Originally posted by _0AfTeRsHoCk0_
I proposed this back just before I quit the PWA, you can even ask Angel. Stefan said that this was a good idea, but he wanted to release the PW's very soon, in a couple months.
So this is an idea from months ago? And it hasn't been given approval in recent times? Then I would say that you should talk to one of the two head honchos and make sure that they're okay with you doing this.

Quote:
it would really be no different if Stefan came onto your playerworld and asked what you've been doing and how you are going.
No it wouldn't. You guys are nothing like Stefan, and you can't be trusted to the same degree. One of you is even a playerworld manager himself, unless he quit recently and has yet to have his moderator status revoked.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:51 PM
US Marine
Soul-Blade is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Soul-Blade
Quote:
Originally posted by Spark910
UC Pws that PWA was/should be going to inspect:

Terra
Valikorlia
Rudora
Doragon Koden
Maloria
Cynical

As far as I know isn't shifting Ages a PW and not put up by Stefan like Oasis was. Well he put it up, but as a PW did he not? Either way, the following will be looked at if AS tells us to but I doubt he will without stefans permission first:

Shifting Ages
Graal2230

I will fill you all in on a small piece of info. Oasis is no more special then Shifting Ages or Graal2230. Guess what, Stefan has said both oasis and my own world will have to pay to be online when that system comes. Stefan simply said he believes we will be able to find enough supporters not to pay.

I will once again say, plain and simple. I am not going to allow anyone on. Espcecially if you believe Oasis is some kind of "special class" of a PW...His was put up by Stefan by him asking stefan, G2230 was put up by Stefan by Birdbird_0 asking, BUT Ghost Pirate was ALWAYS the manager, and still is. Birdbird made it appear differently, but now you know. Shifting Ages was put up by me asking Stefan as well. All of us showed Stefan content, and shared ideas, and because he liked them he put them up. There is nothing special about them other then Stefan likes what he saw and he put them up. We won't be excluded from paying money either.

But even so, I will not allow anyone on, as I said earlier, unless Stefan himself forces me.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:10 PM
US Marine
Quote:
Originally posted by _0AfTeRsHoCk0_

I proposed this back just before I quit the PWA, you can even ask Angel. Stefan said that this was a good idea, but he wanted to release the PW's very soon, in a couple months. Then Angel and I (mostly Angel) went around pushing these private servers for information and asking them what they have done/expected release dates. Releases of Frolic and Gaia were the result of these pushes.

I think all servers should be inspected. I don't consider it stepping our bounds because we don't have the actual power to say "you're getting shut down, buddy, say goodbye" but we're merely an investigative and informative group to Nemesis and Stefan and Unixmad on these issues. It's a bit bureaucratic, but there is no way the three of them can get everything done alone if they have to do it themselves. If we started inspecting these UC PW's (which I plan to once I talk to Nemesis) then we won't be pushing for amazingly fast progress within weeks, we understand that everyone has a life and that ideas come gradually and slowly but enough to have something tangible and playable after a few months of work. I don't see why everyone is getting hyper-sensitive about this issue, because it would really be no different if Stefan came onto your playerworld and asked what you've been doing and how you are going.
Merely grouping the information? I know how things work. Your good buddy on AIM messages you saying "So I heard you went on Oasis, you get any screenshots?" Then you say "Yeah, got a few, for PWA only though sorry can't show" then he says "Come on, we are good friends, you can trust me" then you "Well, just don't show ANYONE, ok?" him "Yeah of course!" him after done talking "*shows**shows**shows*shows*". I'm not stupid. I know how it works. Then I will get idiotic IMs of people saying ignorant things based on your report.

There is in fact a major difference between you guys, and Stefan, or Jagen, or Angel, or all of GST. Stefan can see the significance of the script I have done, or how nicely things flow. My PWA is optimized for developer use, not play. There is no introduction, there is no structure, there is plenty of un solid things slowly coming together.

If PWA came on, who are mere players, they would not understand anything about what they see. If jagen comes on, like he recently did, he understands what he sees. In a month or 2 from now, when I have developed further, THEN players would understand what they see, and possibly I would allow PWA on, right before alpha release.

The fact is, that is all PWA is. A group of non-developers, inspecting the worlds. Playing the worlds. Now, I am all good with GST coming on my RC, and looking at new classes I have added, and looking at NPCWs I have added, and looking at my control NPC....heck I would even give read rights to see the ftp. But no one will be logging on to the actual world other then the ones I have let, because if you truly were checking progress, all you would need is RC.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:28 PM
shutup ctrl+s
syltburk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to syltburk Send a message via AIM to syltburk Send a message via Yahoo to syltburk
when i saw this thread it was like

FINALY, and it still is, i think there is to much unactive servers who doesnt get anywhere and never shows what they make...

Terra.. havnt heard anything from them
Soul blades server (cant remember name x.x)- well ive seen some and it looks nice, but still what happends there?
Oasis- Wasnt it supposed to be realesed like realy early, i maibe been unactive but is it dead or alive?
graal 2230- havnt heard anything.
Gaia- Development? corruption?
Doragon: Well i now this server develops since G_Yoshi give me updates all the time
Rudora- um....
Old 05-15-2003, 01:45 PM
US Marine
Quote:
Originally posted by syltburk

Soul blades server (cant remember name x.x)- well ive seen some and it looks nice, but still what happends there?
Get a grip. I have just gone online. Progress is seeping from the poors of the server...and I already stated I would show some things in my forums this weekend.

With that in mind, any world can do that. We don't need some PWA to stick their noses where they don't belong when world owners can show progress themselves.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:39 PM
:o
Mykel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mykel Send a message via MSN to Mykel
Quote:
Originally posted by Soul-Blade

Get a grip. I have just gone online. Progress is seeping from the poors of the server...and I already stated I would show some things in my forums this weekend.

With that in mind, any world can do that. We don't need some PWA to stick their noses where they don't belong when world owners can show progress themselves.
Sorry, but you don't really have a choice in the matter. Just get over it. Why are you so nervous that people see you are doing work?
Old 05-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Gone
zell12 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
You still are missing the point Soul-Blade. Aftershock is doing this for all servers, and until the playerworld hosting is added, this is what is going to happen whether you like it or not. You have no say in this.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by Soul-Blade

Merely grouping the information? I know how things work. Your good buddy on AIM messages you saying "So I heard you went on Oasis, you get any screenshots?" Then you say "Yeah, got a few, for PWA only though sorry can't show" then he says "Come on, we are good friends, you can trust me" then you "Well, just don't show ANYONE, ok?" him "Yeah of course!" him after done talking "*shows**shows**shows*shows*". I'm not stupid. I know how it works. Then I will get idiotic IMs of people saying ignorant things based on your report.
Yes, that's right, because I'm such an unreliable person and I've done that so many times before. In fact, I'm so infamous for giving away highly sensitive information that I was given an RC and am trying to fill in for Nemesis' GM position temporarily to stay out of trouble and go bug people on all the servers. [/end sarcasm] I told you already, I'm not going to release screenshots, no one will have screenshots released, I just want to make sure that you're actually making progress.

Quote:
There is in fact a major difference between you guys, and Stefan, or Jagen, or Angel, or all of GST. Stefan can see the significance of the script I have done, or how nicely things flow. My PWA is optimized for developer use, not play. There is no introduction, there is no structure, there is plenty of un solid things slowly coming together.

If PWA came on, who are mere players, they would not understand anything about what they see. If jagen comes on, like he recently did, he understands what he sees. In a month or 2 from now, when I have developed further, THEN players would understand what they see, and possibly I would allow PWA on, right before alpha release.
Read my post. I didn't say I was going to come onto your server and say "oh look you have nothing to do for the average player, I'm going to recommend a shutdown lololo" Guess, what, Stefan and Unixmad don't check to see if servers make progress, I would have thought you'd been around here long enough to realize that. Look at all the playerworlds that took a year to be released for 2 weeks, then taken down into private mode AGAIN because they are remaking the world. The GST doesn't go around looking to see if playerworlds are making progress either, they are there just to optimize and assist with scripts, and whatever else they do. Guess what the PWA does, the playerworld administration does? They check to see if progress is made on PW's, seen as though they are the playerworld administration. Is your server a playerworld?

Quote:
The fact is, that is all PWA is. A group of non-developers, inspecting the worlds. Playing the worlds. Now, I am all good with GST coming on my RC, and looking at new classes I have added, and looking at NPCWs I have added, and looking at my control NPC....heck I would even give read rights to see the ftp. But no one will be logging on to the actual world other then the ones I have let, because if you truly were checking progress, all you would need is RC.
So I don't have the capability of checking these NPCW's and looking at these new classes you have added? I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was somehow handicapped in this context. I will ask Stefan if we can go on these playerworlds just once a month to see if you've done something, and by golly, I have an RC too. Now, do I meet your strict regimen of being able to check things on a server, or am I still out of the loop?