Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Online Editor or Traditional?

What do you guys think of the growing trend of new LATs using Online Editors for level creation?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't seen a good online editor yet.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
What Crono said.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
I've always been comfortable enough using the offline editor and therefore have never attempted to use or create my own online editor. So I too am curious as to why the trend of online editing is increasing, or is it just that.... a trendier way of doing something?

Main advantage I can think of is the possibility the Editor may not work with Linux + Mac.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
So many new LATs are depending on Online Editors... I don't see why... maybe because we are used to the old standards of creating a level> uploading> seeing the result in action> going back to fixing and so on and so on?

Making a level with the online editor doesn't give levels the certain something the offline editor does I think...
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 AM
smooth as eggs
racycle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to racycle
I have been using the same online editor for quite a few years now. The one I use, uses the same mouse functions as the offline. I will make a blank level, name it,upload, and then do all the lat work online. I find it rather tedious to have to go back and forth with the offline every time I find a tile out of place. So for me it is just a faster way of leveling. I do still use the offline editor for generating map images, creating blank levels, and doing local npc work.

I wouldn't think of it as a trend however. Most of the UC servers all seam to share a outdated copy of the online editor "moondeath" made me a few years ago. The amount of people using them hasn't seamed to change in my eyes. Everyone I talked to that uses it mostly go on the fact that you don't have to go back and forth and that your work is implemented as you make it.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 AM
stuff and stuff
kalabar24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kalabar24
well, you cant add baddies nor NPCs in the Online editor.

The Online editor is pretty good for detailing, while the offline is for the skeleton of the level.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Offline editor. Fo sho.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 AM
zenkou
haro41 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to haro41
id say tile editors are extremely useful for quick fixing tile errors and making changes for things like annoying tiles that may block a players path. I personally use the offline tile editor for building anything.
Learning to build levels exclusively online is not a good habit. It teaches you nothing about the scripting side of building levels. I think there's more to it than placing tiles.

Zenkou for life
Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
I've always been comfortable enough using the offline editor and therefore have never attempted to use or create my own online editor. So I too am curious as to why the trend of online editing is increasing, or is it just that.... a trendier way of doing something?
Mainly because the offline editor(and all tools, for that matter) haven't been updated in years. Stefan keeps saying "they'll be replaced by online tools!" but they never came.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Offline editor is all you need.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Stefan keeps saying "they'll be replaced by online tools!" but they never came.
I personally find it handy to be able to browse and save levels offline in the event of not having internet access or whatever, it's still a good option to have whereas if the ability to download the offline editor was removed that creates a limitation.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
I still think it would be a lot more beneficial to make the offline editor more open-ended so that users can create their own plugins or other things for offline editing.

I prefer the offline editor because it allows you to do things like opening full gmaps at once, editing terrain, saving NPCs to levels, and so on. By joining these NPCs to classes you create through RC, you can change objects placed in every level at once by simply updating the object class. I find that really useful.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
I still think it would be a lot more beneficial to make the offline editor more open-ended so that users can create their own plugins or other things for offline editing.
We could just turn this around and write an NW plugin for "Tiled" or whatever it's called.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
I would usually use offline editors for big projects, or large levels, but for making smaller creations and correcting tile issues, I always have a decent tile editor on hand. This is the online editor I always use, and I have never settled to use a GUI windowed editor. This version using showpoly (and some level lines I added in) is the best one I have ever used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onlineedtitorforums.png
Views:	207
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	53835