Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Gonstruct runs fine on Ubuntu.
Are there any tutorials on how to install it?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
Are there any tutorials on how to install it?
Did you even check the site? http://londeroth.org/~fry/gonstruct/

It says right under "Compiling" that there is a readme for instructions.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
I like to print out the tileset and cut and glue together parts on a piece of paper, it has a very traditional feel to it.

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
With the files contained in the Github or whatever, would it be possible for other Graal developers to directly improve upon Gonstruct's functionality?

I notice you can open each file directly and look at its contents. Might be a good way to improve the editor when Ben and Fry don't have the time to devote to it.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
With the files contained in the Github or whatever, would it be possible for other Graal developers to directly improve upon Gonstruct's functionality?

I notice you can open each file directly and look at its contents. Might be a good way to improve the editor when Ben and Fry don't have the time to devote to it.
Anyone with knowledge in C++ could fork it, yes.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Anyone with knowledge in C++ could fork it, yes.
We should find some way to make this happen, then. Maybe open a thread for new feature suggestions and submissions or something? Just an idea.

I know we have the feedback thread, but so far it's just been Ben and Fry working on it. With more people pitching in, we might be able to really get the ball rolling and perhaps even get extra features put in by Stefan. (Still keeping my fingers crossed for terrain support. )
Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
traditional
Old 10-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
I would usually use offline editors for big projects, or large levels, but for making smaller creations and correcting tile issues, I always have a decent tile editor on hand. This is the online editor I always use, and I have never settled to use a GUI windowed editor. This version using showpoly (and some level lines I added in) is the best one I have ever used.
Somebody neg repped me for posting this. Why, and who? Can we leave a name next time???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Did you even check the site? http://londeroth.org/~fry/gonstruct/

It says right under "Compiling" that there is a readme for instructions.
Obviously...
It tells me nothing. If it helped, I wouldn't be asking here.

Last edited by Crono; 10-29-2011 at 11:09 AM..
Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Quote:
Somebody neg repped me for posting this. Why, and who? Can we leave a name next time???
Just ignore those cowards and continue to rock.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
I'm going to neg rep you for double posting.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:06 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Obviously...
It tells me nothing. If it helped, I wouldn't be asking here.
Welcome to Linux.

1. Learn to install dependencies using apt-get or aptitude.
2. Install the dependencies the project needs.
3. Clone the source from Git to your machine.
4. Change to source directory.
5. Compile using instructions.
6. Run the binary that's compiled afterward.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
There's obviously a bunch of problems with Gonstruct, but the main issue would be the terrible GTK+OpenGL widget it is using right now:

Basically there are two "working" GTK OpenGL widgets, gtkglarea and gtkglext. The latter is the one we tried first, since it is actively maintained and has C++ bindings available. Unfortunately quite a few people had problems with it on Windows, where it did not properly refresh the screen so the level display became unusable.

It took me ages to reproduce it on my system, but unfortunately I did not figure out the reason for it, so we gave gtkglarea a try. This ended up working relatively reliably on Windows and other systems, but that OpenGL widget sadly hasn't been maintained for a while and does not work with the most recent GTK version anymore (at least on Windows, Linux/Mac are fine as far as I remember).

The way to deal with that would probably be to give gtkglext another try, since it is the de-facto OpenGL widget for GTK and actively maintained. Maybe things are working now, or if not maybe it is possible to figure out the reason for the problems.

In retrospect we should probably have used Qt though. While GTK is much nicer to work with in setting up widgets and windows, even after all these years it still has very fragile cross-platform support.

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Old 10-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
3. Clone the source from Git to your machine.
Make sure to use the 0.2.3 tag linked on the main page (https://github.com/fry/graal-gonstruct/tree/0.2.3 or `git checkout 0.2.3`), since the master HEAD currently contains some fixes for the newest boost library version which cleverly changed its filesystem:ath signature. Last time I checked that version is not in the stable Ubuntu/Debian repositories, so if you'd want to develop with it on Linux you would need to compile boost yourself.

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Global Banned
Zexon is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
I'm going to neg rep you for double posting.
ima just neg rep you for the hell of it
Old 10-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexon View Post
ima just neg rep you for the hell of it
Pretty much what he does anyway.