Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
A good Manager was Smu.

Cut off the part where he sold stuff for USD btw.
Elaborate please
Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
A good Manager was Smu.

Cut off the part where he sold stuff for USD btw.
No, he wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post
Elaborate please
Core Electronics.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
You can't really make a guide to being a good manager, no matter what you are always presented unique situations and it is difficult. A good manager can only be as good as their worst staff member which sucks because when someone decides to "attack" your server it's the actions of your staff that affect your final image.

It helps to be familiar with the developmental aspects but I don't really think that should be considered when you are reviewing their Managerial skills.

If anything there should be a guide to being good staff which is generally what is really needed. It takes forever to find good staff who will work for the good of the server and not for personal gain. I've seen my fair share of the staff who've only done things for themselves on Zodiac.

Another feature of good staff is the ability to handle stress from players accordingly, depending on the size of your server's community this usually isn't a problem however on Zodiac I get to deal with all kinds of jerks, trolls, etc.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
You can't really make a guide to being a good manager, no matter what you are always presented unique situations and it is difficult. A good manager can only be as good as their worst staff member which sucks because when someone decides to "attack" your server it's the actions of your staff that affect your final image.

It helps to be familiar with the developmental aspects but I don't really think that should be considered when you are reviewing their Managerial skills.

If anything there should be a guide to being good staff which is generally what is really needed. It takes forever to find good staff who will work for the good of the server and not for personal gain. I've seen my fair share of the staff who've only done things for themselves on Zodiac.

Another feature of good staff is the ability to handle stress from players accordingly, depending on the size of your server's community this usually isn't a problem however on Zodiac I get to deal with all kinds of jerks, trolls, etc.
I don't hate you, only you're server and some sorts of the ways you manage it o.o... Though, I offered to help out awhile ago and you gave me a blatant no.

Handling stress from players rules itself in with how you interact with players I believe. You learn to deal with it and just skip past the ones that you can see are just flames. Though, if the flames are something fixable and there seem to be quite a few of them about the same subject, maybe somethign needs changing, even if it's a huge change...
Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't you remember you asking to help, but I do remember people only wanting to do what they wanted or those who wanted to take the server into a completely different direction. I also remember people leaving to other projects/following friends but this isn't about that.

Yes avoiding stress is dependent on the players you interact with mainly the reason why I avoid most if not all "BUFF THIS, NERF THIS, DO THIS" or "U SUCK" PMs.

As a Manager it's very important to hand out secure rights and folders, which is typically where all the trouble starts because the staff who are only working for themselves/maliciously will takeover your server in no time. It usually takes a week or two to see if the person is working for rights or for the server they tend to make it obvious i.e: "Rights, Items, etc. or I quit.".
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Deophite is a good manager

Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
Sorry, but a good manager needs to be unpopular
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklux View Post
Sorry, but a good manager needs to be unpopular
You know who else was popular?

yeah.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Everything that Clash was not. Essentially, I agree with Matt.

P.S. Clash was the dictator of Valikorlia for years until he was usurped (read: banned by a staff member and subsequently removed from power by the PWAs).
Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 AM
Xelt
King homer daStupid is a jewel in the roughKing homer daStupid is a jewel in the rough
One who can reallocate available resources effectively.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
Someone that rules with an iron fist. Bans people that he/she dislikes. Gives power to their friends. Gives cool items to cool ppl. Sells items/stuff for real money over paypal
Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Someone that rules with an iron fist. Bans people that he/she dislikes. Gives power to their friends. Gives cool items to cool ppl. Sells items/stuff for real money over paypal
That's the counterpart of a good manager.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Pelikano has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Deophite is a good manager
laughing out loud
Old 05-02-2009, 05:33 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Endurance

I mean George Washington endurance. George Washington was a terrible fighter and a terrible leader and nearly all of his men died. What made him succeed was that he had endurance, meaning he didn't defeat the British, he only had to endure the British attack. lol

That's if you're a bad leader, which is the problem with most managers left around.

The concept of "management" has simply been perverted somewhere in its translation.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
That's the counterpart of a good manager.
idts
Closed Thread