Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English) > Job Forum > Playerworld Administration Team
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Application: James

1) Introduce yourself. Who are you? What do you do? Where are you known? Why do you play Graal?

Hello, I am James. I'm not as well known as I once was, as I don't partake in playing much of Graal anymore, but I can say that the only reason someone wouldn't know me now is that they are newer to the community. I've had past experience with the workings of P2P playerworlds, such as former manager of Graal2001, and development on Graal Kingdoms.

2) Experience with "online-only" staff teams, including playerworld work here on Graal.

I have extensive knowledge of Graal's present and past. I've had past jobs with Graal such as accounts administrator, account reset team, game master and have done a lot of behind the scenes work with Stefan. I was also a GM for RO for 6 months.

3) Assuming you have piqued our interest with your qualifications, what makes you stand out as an applicant?

My knowledge of the game, and the way I handle difficult situations. As a former accounts administrator, when we had to answer all support through e-mail, I would literally answer 100-200 e-mails in the span of a day, resolve the problem, or direct them to someone that could be of assistance.

I would also like to mention the fact back in 2001 when PWA wasn't really established like it is now, I would also have to resolve playerworld-related problems. Such as corrupt staff, and playerworld crisis' involving hackers (when the game was much more susceptible to editing of the code through a hex editor).

Finally, I think I would make a great addition to the Playerworld Administration because I'm a part of Graal's history, I have good judgment, good morals and I've always stuck around through thick and thin. I've literally been here to see it all.

4) What is your education level? Are you employed? What amount of time can you dedicate to Graal-related duties each day?

I am currently attending college. I am employed. I could say anywhere around 2-4 hours a day, and anywhere from 4-8 hours on the weekend.

5) What do you see that needs changing in Graal's playerworld policies?

I am so sick of all the clones of playerworlds. Once we have a certain category of a playerworld, another one doesn't need to be made unless it truely has some amazing gameplay and brings something new to the table. It would be nice to deter people away from trying to make more of what we already have. If you want to make a modern server, go work for Era, share your ideas with them, because why try to recreate something we already have, when you could try to improve the overall quality of existing playerworlds.

There needs to be more originality, stop trying to bring back past playerworlds because they were successful in their time. Times change, and most likely the playerworld isn't around anymore for a reason. As time progresses, peoples minds change in what once was fun, isn't fun anymore.

I'd like to help form some new policies that would keep playerworld creators original, and hopefully bring more talented people together instead of having them spread so thin on so many different projects.

6) Show us some examples of your good judgment in certain situations.

The IRS once sent me a check that they didn't owe me. Instead of cashing it and possibly facing legal action, I tore it up and threw it away.

My buddy was having the party of the century, seriously. I had exams, instead of partying, I studied so I'd have a future.

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
If you want to make a modern server, go work for Era, share your ideas with them, because why try to recreate something we already have, when you could try to improve the overall quality of existing playerworlds.
Era is not hiring scripters

You realize that there are too few classic playerworlds for every developer to work on one of them?

From what you have told me about your policies, I have to say I would not like to see you as a PWA, especially if they come in the play. Perhaps you could try developing for a small server, just to see if you like it. Perhaps then you could understand better what your "policies" would destroy.

I have never personally gotten to know you, but from what you've said ... eh ... but of course, I'm not the one hiring!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud View Post
Era is not hiring scripters

You realize that there are too few classic playerworlds for every developer to work on one of them?

From what you have told me about your policies, I have to say I would not like to see you as a PWA, especially if they come in the play. Perhaps you could try developing for a small server, just to see if you like it. Perhaps then you could understand better what your "policies" would destroy.

I have never personally gotten to know you, but from what you've said ... eh ... but of course, I'm not the one hiring!
So, let me just ask you a question. What you are implying is you like the fact that there are so many different playerworlds, and the developers are all spread out?

It just seems more logical to me that if we try to eliminate some of the clones before they start and get more developers on new original projects, we'd have more exciting, fun and innovative playerworlds.

It's kind of like when big companies merge, say for instance, cell phones. We get the best of both companies.

I mean honestly, does it really excite anyone when someone posts a thread about their "NEW UBER 1337 SWEET PLAYERWORLD WITH M16S AND TREES AND CARS AND STUFF THAT LOOKS JUST LIKE ERA." Absolutely not. It's a joke.

If a person wants to create a server for fun that's a direct rip off of another playerworld, so be it, but it should be known that it CANNOT make it to the hosted/classic tab.

I think it's just kind of sad that we haven't had a new successful playerworld since, what, Zodiac? Zodiac has a great premise behind it, it really has so much potential, but the graphics are just horrid. It really seems like we are overdue for a quality playerworld.

I've seen so many with potential, but they never get finished. Oasis, Esteria, Tempest of Time, Faheria, Zenkou and Shifting Ages. I mean, you really don't understand how irritating it is to have been around as long as I have, and have not seen one above average playerworld be made available to the public.

That's my two cents.

JAMES BAY PACKERS

-Aaron Rodgers

Last edited by James; 03-04-2008 at 06:31 AM..
Old 03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Wow, nice app. Extensive history and experience is always a plus .

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Playerworld Administrator
HoudiniMan is on a distinguished road
Can you tell us why you are no longer working on the accounts team, GMing (here or there), etc?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:51 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoudiniMan View Post
Can you tell us why you are no longer working on the accounts team, GMing (here or there), etc?

Accounts Administrator - There was some dispute between me and contego over the job, and I left so contego could take over. contego deserved the job more at the time then I did. That is when we formed a new team called Account Reset Team, and I lead that a long with Lamer and IceHawk for a few months. If I remember correctly, that team, was then useless when the PWA was formed, so it was disbanded.

GO Game Master - I only held this position for a few months, as when NightLord left they decided to remove me from the position as well. I didn't seem to care at the time.

RO Game Master - Urashima, a former member of this community, had a private server called pillows, and he decided to stop hosting the server (it had about 100-130 players online on average). It was very professional.

I'd like to also mention I was Police Chief of Graal2001 and FAQ Chief when it was popular, so I've had quite a bit of experience with dealing with people. My current job in real life also deals with customer service.

JAMES BAY PACKERS

-Aaron Rodgers

Last edited by James; 03-05-2008 at 05:02 AM..
Old 03-05-2008, 04:53 AM
Can you explain your signature?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
Quote:
Can you explain your signature?
The "I'm just a jackass" or Witch Hunter Robin?

I'm assuming you are wondering about the former. It really means nothing, I just like insulting myself. Anything wrong with that?

I don't have any problem changing it for professionalism.

JAMES BAY PACKERS

-Aaron Rodgers

Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Mercenary
Raziel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Raziel
Quote:
1) Introduce yourself. Who are you? What do you do? Where are you known? Why do you play Graal?

Hello, I am James. I'm not as well known as I once was, as I don't partake in playing much of Graal anymore, but I can say that the only reason someone wouldn't know me now is that they are newer to the community. I've had past experience with the workings of P2P playerworlds, such as former manager of Graal2001, and development on Graal Kingdoms.

2) Experience with "online-only" staff teams, including playerworld work here on Graal.

I have extensive knowledge of Graal's present and past. I've had past jobs with Graal such as accounts administrator, account reset team, game master and have done a lot of behind the scenes work with Stefan. I was also a GM for RO for 6 months.

3) Assuming you have piqued our interest with your qualifications, what makes you stand out as an applicant?

My knowledge of the game, and the way I handle difficult situations. As a former accounts administrator, when we had to answer all support through e-mail, I would literally answer 100-200 e-mails in the span of a day, resolve the problem, or direct them to someone that could be of assistance.

I would also like to mention the fact back in 2001 when PWA wasn't really established like it is now, I would also have to resolve playerworld-related problems. Such as corrupt staff, and playerworld crisis' involving hackers (when the game was much more susceptible to editing of the code through a hex editor).

Finally, I think I would make a great addition to the Playerworld Administration because I'm a part of Graal's history, I have good judgment, good morals and I've always stuck around through thick and thin. I've literally been here to see it all.

4) What is your education level? Are you employed? What amount of time can you dedicate to Graal-related duties each day?

I am currently attending college. I am employed. I could say anywhere around 2-4 hours a day, and anywhere from 4-8 hours on the weekend.

5) What do you see that needs changing in Graal's playerworld policies?

I am so sick of all the clones of playerworlds. Once we have a certain category of a playerworld, another one doesn't need to be made unless it truely has some amazing gameplay and brings something new to the table. It would be nice to deter people away from trying to make more of what we already have. If you want to make a modern server, go work for Era, share your ideas with them, because why try to recreate something we already have, when you could try to improve the overall quality of existing playerworlds.

There needs to be more originality, stop trying to bring back past playerworlds because they were successful in their time. Times change, and most likely the playerworld isn't around anymore for a reason. As time progresses, peoples minds change in what once was fun, isn't fun anymore.

I'd like to help form some new policies that would keep playerworld creators original, and hopefully bring more talented people together instead of having them spread so thin on so many different projects.

6) Show us some examples of your good judgment in certain situations.

The IRS once sent me a check that they didn't owe me. Instead of cashing it and possibly facing legal action, I tore it up and threw it away.

My buddy was having the party of the century, seriously. I had exams, instead of partying, I studied so I'd have a future.

You may not remember me, but I remember you well. During your “development” days on Graal Kingdoms you rivaled Jagen when it came to corruptness. Of course back then there was no one on the server to stop you so you got away with it. You created untold amounts of duped maps & illegal items with crazy stats for your own benefit that should have never existed in the first place. Then when the server cooled off you disappeared.

You reappeared a couple years later with all those items still intact. You sold a lot of them to players for USD and some to players for items on zodiac if I remember correctly. Some of those items went to Tig which eventually caused trouble between him and Lance. You were also eventually caught by Lance and he dealt with you accordingly. At least Tig brought up in his application how he has screwed up in the past. I admire that. However, you seemed to have left all of this out. How unfortunate for you that I remembered.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
You may not remember me, but I remember you well. During your “development” days on Graal Kingdoms you rivaled Jagen when it came to corruptness. Of course back then there was no one on the server to stop you so you got away with it. You created untold amounts of duped maps & illegal items with crazy stats for your own benefit that should have never existed in the first place. Then when the server cooled off you disappeared.

You reappeared a couple years later with all those items still intact. You sold a lot of them to players for USD and some to players for items on zodiac if I remember correctly. Some of those items went to Tig which eventually caused trouble between him and Lance. You were also eventually caught by Lance and he dealt with you accordingly. At least Tig brought up in his application how he has screwed up in the past. I admire that. However, you seemed to have left all of this out. How unfortunate for you that I remembered.
I could debate a lot of the things you just brought up, I will admit I made some very irrational moves on GK. I didn't really take it very seriously at all. The server was a joke at the time, just like it is now.

Do I regret it? Of course. It destroyed my name and all the years of work I've put into this little game. For the most part, you are right, the sad thing is that's the only thing I'm ever remembered for.

I really don't expect to get this job now that this has been brought up, but that's perfectly fine. I don't really hold it against anyone but myself.

JAMES BAY PACKERS

-Aaron Rodgers

Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
I really don't expect to get this job now that this has been brought up, but that's perfectly fine. I don't really hold it against anyone but myself.
Everyone makes mistakes, and just because you have done in the last doesn't make you liable for an automatic fail. You're qualified, remorseful about previous negative actions, and I personally think you'd make a great Playerworld Administrator. You should be confident about it as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Mercenary
Raziel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Raziel
Quote:
I could debate a lot of the things you just brought up, I will admit I made some very irrational moves on GK. I didn't really take it very seriously at all. The server was a joke at the time, just like it is now.

Do I regret it? Of course. It destroyed my name and all the years of work I've put into this little game. For the most part, you are right, the sad thing is that's the only thing I'm ever remembered for.

Well....im impressed. I expected you to dispute this but it seems you actualley fessed up. I just wish you would have addressed it when you first wrote your application.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
Well....im impressed. I expected you to dispute this but it seems you actualley fessed up. I just wish you would have addressed it when you first wrote your application.
I just wanted the past to be the past. If no one remembered, I figured why bring it up? I had a feeling someone would make a comment about that though, and I am more than willing to admit that I made a huge mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Everyone makes mistakes, and just because you have done in the last doesn't make you liable for an automatic fail. You're qualified, remorseful about previous negative actions, and I personally think you'd make a great Playerworld Administrator. You should be confident about it as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you, Rufus.

JAMES BAY PACKERS

-Aaron Rodgers

Old 03-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Quote:
The server was a joke at the time, just like it is now.
Can you elaborate on this?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
Quote:
Can you elaborate on this?
All I'm saying is, is that Stefan never finishes what he starts. (Graal2001/Graal2002)

If Stefan was still behind the wheel of both of those, I would assume the player counts on both of those servers would still be very high. I'm not trying to bash Stefan, I just wish he'd stick with something for once.

JAMES BAY PACKERS

-Aaron Rodgers