Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Coder
GoDoT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to GoDoT
GoDoT - How to make proper trees

Hello, lately I have been looking over peoples leveling work and I have noticed staggered trees, trees that really didn't work for me. So I decided to put up this tutorial for the people who don't know how to use tileset and are new to leveling. (Sorry if the lines are sloppy)
Thanks,
GoDoT

Last edited by GoDoT; 07-30-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Old 07-29-2012, 10:38 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
You should show them were they are on the tileset since that is probably a big problem aswell for new people
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by callimuc View Post
You should show them were they are on the tileset since that is probably a big problem aswell for new people
Thanks, im updating it now.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
I've never been able to figure out cliffs and trees properly. Thanks for the help GoDoT.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I also made something very similar a little while ago for someone.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I also made something very similar a little while ago for someone.
Ahh, sorry, didn't know there was one out there.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDoT View Post
Ahh, sorry, didn't know there was one out there.
Nah it's cool, I only posted it once and it wasn't on here anyways. I feel that things like this need a bit of a more organized and easier-to-read sort of tutorial, but I find tutorial videos to be too boring to keep people interested and images can be hard to follow. Perhaps short gifs of manipulating these sort of tiles is a decent midway compromise?

Wish there were a better way to teach people this sort of thing. Nonetheless level making needs all the help it can get. Tutorials are sparse and what help there is is typically in the form of handing people the stuff in predefined object formats and they never really become familiar with pics1 -- and that's a big problem. Knowledge of pics1 and knowing how the various tiles interact is the best way to improve, imo.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Nah it's cool, I only posted it once and it wasn't on here anyways. I feel that things like this need a bit of a more organized and easier-to-read sort of tutorial, but I find tutorial videos to be too boring to keep people interested and images can be hard to follow. Perhaps short gifs of manipulating these sort of tiles is a decent midway compromise?

Wish there were a better way to teach people this sort of thing. Nonetheless level making needs all the help it can get. Tutorials are sparse and what help there is is typically in the form of handing people the stuff in predefined object formats and they never really become familiar with pics1 -- and that's a big problem. Knowledge of pics1 and knowing how the various tiles interact is the best way to improve, imo.
I agree completely.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Someone else I believe did this as well. I remember them showing a pic of the tileset next to a group of tree's and just line from tileset to the level.. and that's how I learned to use tree tiles about 8 or 9 years ago.