Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: When will Classic be put back on the Classic tab?
mid 2010 1 3.03%
late 2010 5 15.15%
early 2011 4 12.12%
mid 2011 3 9.09%
late 2011 0 0%
early 2012 0 0%
mid 2012 0 0%
late 2012 2 6.06%
2013 and beyond 3 9.09%
it will never make it 15 45.45%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
I said early 2011 though I was very tempted to say never.

The problem is, Graal is a dying game and the current Classic staff is far too small to quickly make a quality server. It won't be easy to attract more developers either, since few people likely wants to work on such a massive project on a UC server, especially if they never played on Classic back in the day.

The biggest problem is trying to establish a playerbase. New players will be tough to gain because no one is likely going paying almost $50 (according to another thread,) to play a 2d game. Likewise, I don't know exactly what we can offer that the seemingly mindless drones from Era + UN (the two biggest servers,) haven't seen already. Getting them to move is a challenge in itself , as people are very resistant to change, especially when they're comfortable, and I honestly think most of our old playerbase has moved on. Even if they haven't, tis likely that they won't be playing as much as they used to.

I have all the confidence in Thor, WD, and the entire Dev team to make quality levels. I simply doubt the game itself, as well as the ability of a new server to attract and keep players who seem content on their current servers (considering they're still playing it.)
Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
Where is the option for "within less time than it took for the card game to be made"?
I got beat to this
Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
I got beat to this
impossible

also i said mid 2010
have faith people!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Rolav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Rolav Send a message via AIM to Rolav Send a message via Yahoo to Rolav
Why not just release it now? Its not like this would be the first time Classic was online for 6 month periods at a time with little to no updates other than maybe a new player house or new GC event. Think about the time right after Tyhm & Nerv left classic. I dont think anything was worked on other than the GC House for like almost 2 years. Then again the same thing happened for like 3 years after MS took over. As snickers once said "Why Wait"?
Dabura (10/6/2003 12:41:03 PM):
Mass message:
there seems to be something wrong with the server "Atlantis", everyone seems to be speeking in some sort of code....odd

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolav View Post
Why not just release it now? Its not like this would be the first time Classic was online for 6 month periods at a time with little to no updates other than maybe a new player house or new GC event. Think about the time right after Tyhm & Nerv left classic. I dont think anything was worked on other than the GC House for like almost 2 years. Then again the same thing happened for like 3 years after MS took over. As snickers once said "Why Wait"?
I assume you haven't been on Classic in a while so let me fill you in.

I don't know exactly what all is complete, but rest assured releasing it now would flop worse than the GC card game after a week.

There's about 10 overworld levels with a total of maybe 5 buildings you can enter. There's no quests. There's two events currently, so any thoughts of keeping players around the same way we did last time won't work. There's 3 hearts and maybe one spar arena, which is in the GC waiting room which isn't readily accessible to the public.

Now if a server like that sounds fun to you....well then I believe you're in the minority. It's best to not release something until it's worth playing, and right now we're not at that point.

Edit: correction, thor has informed me that we have a spar arena on the overworld at Supernicks, which is in the NE of the main town.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Joe Cruddas (VIP)
gravator has a spectacular aura aboutgravator has a spectacular aura about
So what we have now, an overworld with some buildings you can enter and one spar arena, NO quests, nothing to find and no inventory at all, is much better than showing the actual progress you claim is going on?

Sometimes i just can't understand why people say such things, but maybe it is because i am not working on it.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravator View Post
So what we have now, an overworld with some buildings you can enter and one spar arena, NO quests, nothing to find and no inventory at all, is much better than showing the actual progress you claim is going on?

Sometimes i just can't understand why people say such things, but maybe it is because i am not working on it.
...what?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:18 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravator View Post

you are seriously trolling in every playerworld thread, either make one yourself or stfu.

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Joe Cruddas (VIP)
gravator has a spectacular aura aboutgravator has a spectacular aura about
No need to lose your mind about what i posted, i logged in after that post and thor decided to talk to me and show me a small ammount of the progress that was done on the server (unless staff show you anything you would not know about it) and the few items i was allowed to see ARE impressive beyond words right now.

There is very little to interact with right now, just signs, bushes, clothes changer and sparring, but there are weapons that have been made and they look very nice and they are so much better looking than what was used during 1999-2005, thor just needs to make proper locations for them to be found, it could take a little more time, or alot, he tells me he's gotten certain systems being worked on first then he can do safe expansions of the overworld and things to actually do.

I may be wrong, but could a level maker deal with creating some sections of the overworld, nothing connecting the insides of houses, caves or anything, just areas you can walk around in? similar to the bit of area that is already up, or will things need to be planned out really well first so you don't suddenly have places that are just in for filler?

Last edited by gravator; 03-28-2010 at 01:03 PM..