Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
simple idea:
clientside chat replacement thats toggleable on the client on or off, search chat through a pool of naughty words and select a random non-offensive word from the bank for that specific word(like the F-bomb would be replaced by like, fudge or something dumb like that) so you ultimately have the option to see people swearing or see the "toned down" version of what people say.

making the game completely censored will alienate a large portion of the players and keep the older community away

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM
h8 my username
Unpredlctable is a name known to allUnpredlctable is a name known to allUnpredlctable is a name known to allUnpredlctable is a name known to all
What the **** is so bad about cuss words anyway? ****.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Well that's a mature way to make a point.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:04 AM
Shadow Ice
BlueFireX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BlueFireX
I honestly thought Graal was for 13 and olders? I read someone post on runescape about this subject. As my memory serve he was saying "I can't stand curse words, I stand at the bus stop and hear it, it make me sick -blah blah-" yet again another 13+ game. And if you havent heard every curse word there is in the English language than you are Amish. -_-
Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFireX View Post
I honestly thought Graal was for 13 and olders? I read someone post on runescape about this subject. As my memory serve he was saying "I can't stand curse words, I stand at the bus stop and hear it, it make me sick -blah blah-" yet again another 13+ game. And if you havent heard every curse word there is in the English language than you are Amish. -_-
On the website, it says 12+. In any case, the point is not whether you have or have not heard cussing, or whether it bothers you or not. Cussing doesn't have to be allowed in a game for the game to be enjoyable. I just don't see what the big deal is for it not to be allowed.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 05-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
Cussing doesn't have to be allowed in a game for the game to be enjoyable. I just don't see what the big deal is for it not to be allowed.
I'm personally indifferent unless cussing is excessive.

On the other hand, though, I do believe that everybody could manage to find something more intelligent to say rather than F&*$ all the time. Ultimately, those who do nothing but swear tend to be weak-minded, resentfully classless individuals ... and that's just sad for a variety of reasons. Some people think the "F" word is the standard for communication, and, when these same people are serving my children fast food later in their lives, they better not have the audacity to wonder why.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloven View Post
Ultimately, those who do nothing but swear tend to be weak-minded, resentfully classless individuals
Old 05-24-2007, 03:13 PM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
On the website, it says 12+. In any case, the point is not whether you have or have not heard cussing, or whether it bothers you or not. Cussing doesn't have to be allowed in a game for the game to be enjoyable. I just don't see what the big deal is for it not to be allowed.
No but it annoys me when swear filters are so excusive that you can't even say a perfectly sencible sentance without getting the whole thing covered in *'s.

I once played this game where it was so bad that if you just said the word "dog" alone, it would filter it.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokemon View Post
No but it annoys me when swear filters are so excusive that you can't even say a perfectly sencible sentance without getting the whole thing covered in *'s.

I once played this game where it was so bad that if you just said the word "dog" alone, it would filter it.
Yes, I agree.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 05-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
I actually kinda like the swear filters that are clever about it, and replace text with text. So "F - - -" becomes "Frell", making "Frelling" and "Mother Freller" still sensible in context, but only if you're old enough to know what the original word was. It COULD make things more Graal-flavored, if Graal had its own (Firefly/Serenity)/Transformers/etc. variations on the language...I still like "Slag" as a multi-use swear word. Or "Monkey" as a "I just dropped a hammer on my foot" interjection, though that's taken on racist connotations when applied to people of certain ethnicities...

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 06-16-2007, 01:27 PM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This could be a great update, but i think graal will be dead by the time it gets here.
as 90% of classics community is only 13 or 14 years old, the half of them is staff. they all swear like it's normal. if you use such a filter they have no reason to log back on to classic anymore.

good side is that half of staff positions will be open for recruiting again.
wow.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
Filtering is no option to educating people why they shouldnt curse.

People will know to verbally hurt people even if bad words are censored out.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Jay (Mung)
nO1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
This is starting to borderline invasion of privacy me thinks.
Agreed. I don't really feel comfortable with the fact that people like Stryker can read my PMs freely now.

This and the setnick logging system seem completely unnecessary. Swearing and harrassment through nicknames (this never happens) aren't really problems on classic anymore, and I'm confident that GPs can deal with the occasional offenders effectively without this big brother nonsense being implemented.

EDIT: It is interesting that the majority of people in support of this don't even play Classic though! Nanny nation.

Last edited by nO1; 06-30-2007 at 12:29 AM..
Old 06-30-2007, 01:03 AM
7 Words
Inspiration is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Inspiration
Hardcode Graal to automatically filter swear words from any account registered to a user under 13 years of age.

If you're over 13 you're hearing every single swear word in the book 500 times a day at school and with your friends, so Graal is hardly going to be anything worse.

Over 13 there could simply be an on/off function like many games already have. Simple.

1. Annoy everybody on an existing project by submitting or proposing changes that they don't want
2. Formally declare all existing projects to be complete crap
3. Talk at great length about the deficiencies of other projects
4. Get drunk
5. ???
6. Profit
Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by nO1 View Post
Agreed. I don't really feel comfortable with the fact that people like Stryker can read my PMs freely now.

This and the setnick logging system seem completely unnecessary. Swearing and harrassment through nicknames (this never happens) aren't really problems on classic anymore, and I'm confident that GPs can deal with the occasional offenders effectively without this big brother nonsense being implemented.

EDIT: It is interesting that the majority of people in support of this don't even play Classic though! Nanny nation.
Its not recording chat in pm's that I'm aware of, only masses, toalls, onscreen and toguilds. As for nicks the only time those are useful is if someone complains about being harrassed via pm's. It makes it easier to prove or disprove. Or if someone is using a nick to give out inappropriate links.