Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
A true classic server would be flirting with Nintendo's legal team.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
They need a true classic server, one that uses the old tile set and such. That way we can all remember how graal has evolved.
I've had plans, but a massive team is required to convert the old scripts.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Ed
MasterNuke is on a distinguished road
I disagree with all of you.
I don't know about all you crazy people, but Classic is now beyond horrible. As an oldbie, Classic is now unplayable to me and will -never- be close to the Classic I played as long as you try to push this npc-server/serverside stuff. Movement is sluggish and jerky, doing simple things lags, animations and sounds are not the same. Arrows and bombs are awful. Etc etc.

Graal: The Adventure was just fine. In fact, it was better off. Why ruin something that was polished and smoothened? Why was it necessary to obliterate it all and try to create this? Is this really worth it to have an NPC-Server? If it wasn't "classic" enough... why didn't you just stop calling it "classic"?

Please explain.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNuke
Each to thier own opinion then.

Quote:
Classic is now beyond horrible.
Each to thier own opinion then (again).

Quote:
As an oldbie, Classic is now unplayable to me and will -never- be close to the Classic I played as long as you try to push this npc-server/serverside stuff.
You probably played a different Classic to the one I was playing then.

Quote:
Movement is sluggish and jerky
This is just plainly wrong. You must be experincing an isolated problem.

Quote:
doing simple things lags
Again this is just simply not true. Infact, without all the weapons in your inventory and stuff, its actually less laggy than before.

Quote:
animations and sounds are not the same
Well considering I used that gani set from GTA, and just renamed them all to have classic_ on the front, I'm surprised that they appear different. As for the sounds, well these were contained in the gani's already, so again, I have no idea how they would have changed. Please provide a specific example where my miraculous renaming of files caused them to change.

Quote:
Arrows and bombs are awful.
Ummm.. They are like the same.. To be fair, bombs and arrows never were the most spectacular of tools.

Quote:
Graal: The Adventure was just fine.
Quests and items which did not work is 'fine'?

Quote:
In fact, it was better off.
Each to thier own opinion, yet again.

Quote:
Why ruin something that was polished and smoothened?
It was about as smooth as sandpaper, and full of bugs. Clearly our interpretations of quality differ somewhat.

Quote:
Why was it necessary to obliterate it all
Because Classic Server support was dropped by GServer with the most recent updates to the client. Therefore we had to create an NPC Server version of Classic. The bugs inherent in the existing GTA were such that to try and convert it all was simply impossible, hence we started afresh.

Quote:
Is this really worth it to have an NPC-Server?
Unless you wanted Classic to just stop existing, we had to make it NPC Server ready.

Quote:
If it wasn't "classic" enough... why didn't you just stop calling it "classic"?
Because that would defy the whole meaning of the server.

Does that explain it enough for you?
Please stop criticizing my work unless you have something constructive to say.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 01-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Developer
Doahh_p2p is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know about all you crazy people, but Classic is now beyond horrible. As an oldbie, Classic is now unplayable to me and will -never- be close to the Classic I played as long as you try to push this npc-server/serverside stuff. Movement is sluggish and jerky, doing simple things lags, animations and sounds are not the same. Arrows and bombs are awful. Etc etc.

Graal: The Adventure was just fine. In fact, it was better off. Why ruin something that was polished and smoothened? Why was it necessary to obliterate it all and try to create this? Is this really worth it to have an NPC-Server? If it wasn't "classic" enough... why didn't you just stop calling it "classic"?

Please explain.
You said it for me =)
Old 01-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Ed
MasterNuke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo
-All that individual sentence quoting stuff-
Sorry, I was in a nasty mood when I wrote that. Was not informed that they junked the support for it. Tis a shame... anyway... When you play Classic now... can you feel the difference? If you can, please fine tune the movement a bit.

-Bugs already found- (Yea... fine... I'll be constructive)
When you kill a player... the victim's AP is dropping instead of the killer.
Items(like arrows and bombs) fall too slowly and don't make a ding sound when you pick them up.
Arrows not being blocked by shields if that is intended... could be a major problem in doing quests. In fact... didn't they used to go through walls?

Not sure about this one... might just be my keyboard... but if you hold 'up' and 'down' and then hold down 'right' and then 'left' and let go of 'right' it makes you walk right....

Warp ring used to make 3 "clicks" before warping... right now it's only doing one.

If you press D when you're in the Q menu... it selects AND fires the weapon. Not sure if this is intended.

Can't stop rupees/arrows/bombs/hearts anymore

Can't pick up signs and throw them.

Used to be able to get through tight spaces with diagonal movement. Can't now Have to walk straight.

The "laying down bomb" sound when laying down bombs is absent.

When bomb explodes... a shadow is there for a brief moment. Intended?

The delay when laying down bombs... where did that come from?

Can't pick up bombs to throw them.

When other players cut bushes... it doesn't show up.

This should be fixed after the AP bug is fixed... 100ap players are taking damage from swords.

Cliff jumping is a bit too senstitive... same with pushing.

Can't cut grass.

On "ammo" items again... the time between it starts blinking and disappears is rather short. Kinda defeats the purpose of it blinking.

Gold and red rupees should -never- drop from bushes/grass...

Last edited by MasterNuke; 01-28-2005 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Adding Bugs as I find them
Old 01-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Talking

When you posted before it also put me in a foul mood, hence the Kai-esque post. This is much better, I can now answer about each of the things you have reported.

Quote:
When you kill a player... the victim's AP is dropping instead of the killer.
Due to popular request, AP was removed, but as some people still wanted some kind of back name type thing, I made somthing called PK Rating. Its basically and estimation from 0 to 100 of how well you are currently performing at PK, and your nick changes colour to reflect this.

Quote:
Items(like arrows and bombs) fall too slowly and don't make a ding sound when you pick them up.
I was not aware of this. I will time it against the offline mode tommorow to get it exactly right, and will add the ding as you request . I also need to change the detection region slightly too .

Quote:
Arrows not being blocked by shields if that is intended... could be a major problem in doing quests. In fact... didn't they used to go through walls?
We are using projectiles (shoot) for the arrows at the moment as they work the best on serverside. Unfortunately they do not work exactly the same as the old arrows, though I can probably add the blocking for when you are facing the arrow.

Quote:
Not sure about this one... might just be my keyboard... but if you hold 'up' and 'down' and then hold down 'right' and then 'left' and let go of 'right' it makes you walk right....
I cant really check this one out, as if you hold all four cursor keys on my keyboard the computer beeps. I think it is probably your keyboard, but I will check the movement code tommorow.

Quote:
Warp ring used to make 3 "clicks" before warping... right now it's only doing one.
I dont play with sound so I was unaware of this. I can change it tommorow.

Quote:
If you press D when you're in the Q menu... it selects AND fires the weapon. Not sure if this is intended.
I had not noticed or even considered this, I will try and make a fix over the weekend.

Quote:
Can't stop rupees/arrows/bombs/hearts anymore
I dont understand what you mean by this? Can you rephrase or somthing.

Quote:
Can't pick up signs and throw them.
I was already aware of this, but reluctant to fix before. I'll do it over the weekend, but it may take a while to update all the levels.

Quote:
Used to be able to get through tight spaces with diagonal movement. Can't now Have to walk straight.
The movement is a lot more accurate with wall checking now, and thats why this happens. Its not really viable to implement a fix, although I'm planning a major movement tweak sometime soon, which may fix this. Sorry .

Quote:
The "laying down bomb" sound when laying down bombs is absent.
Again, I dont play with sound so I was unaware, I will fix this tommorow.

Quote:
When bomb explodes... a shadow is there for a brief moment. Intended?
GrowlZ made the bombs and thier ganis, I will remove the sadow tommorow.

Quote:
The delay when laying down bombs... where did that come from?
GrowlZ put it in when he made the bombs. I reduced the delay a lot this morning, although I'll probably remove it completely.

Quote:
Can't pick up bombs to throw them.
This is awkward to code I think? I'll ask GrowlZ to see if he can add it.

[QUOTE=MasterNuke]When other players cut bushes... it doesn't show up.[/QOUTE]
Th bushes pots and rocks (and signs when I do them) are all clientside as this reduces the lag (a lot). I can possibly make it so that they dissapear for everyone, but I'm not sure, I'll see.

Quote:
This should be fixed after the AP bug is fixed... 100ap players are taking damage from swords.
PK Ratings stuff... blaa blaa... see above.

Quote:
Cliff jumping is a bit too senstitive... same with pushing.
When I did the movement I intentionally made it low to make movement more fluid. I'll raise it a little bit, as its a very easy fix for me to do.

Quote:
Can't cut grass.
The old sword gani was what makes grass get cut, but this also causes players to be hit by the old hit detection, which breaks thier movement and looks wierd. Sorry, but I dont think I can fix this .

Quote:
On "ammo" items again... the time between it starts blinking and disappears is rather short. Kinda defeats the purpose of it blinking.
I'll sort this when I check all the timing stuff for them.

Quote:
Gold and red rupees should -never- drop from bushes/grass...
Hehe, my mistake

When people point out the errors like this it makes my job easier. I think its fair to say that you cannot expect someone to be able to perfectly emulate everything first time round, and thats why we need people to report even minor things.

*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!

Last edited by Polo; 01-28-2005 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Correcting a malformed sentence.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo
When you posted before it also put me in a foul mood, hence the Kai-esque post
The what now?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Evil
Evil_Trunks is on a distinguished road
I believe he is referring to your style of debating/arguing where you quote each individual sentence and say why it is wrong.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Trunks
I believe he is referring to your style of debating/arguing where you quote each individual sentence and say why it is wrong.
But that isn't linked to foulness of mood
Old 01-28-2005, 10:22 PM
The Fonz
leemanrulz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to leemanrulz
I think he means DROP heats/Gelat/etc.

Also, the bomb sound WAS there last night, but now it isn't there.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Classic Systems Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimetsu
But that isn't linked to foulness of mood
Usually listing each individual sentence is too much effort for me, it was only that I was fed up of such posts flaming Classic that I replied in such a manner. By Kai-esque, I am indeed refering to your style of quoting every minor detail.

So, the foulness does not make it Kai-esque, it is just that the foulness promted me to do a Kai-esque, the 2 being exclusive things.

Anyway, thats getting off topic so :/

Old 01-29-2005, 06:19 AM
OneStonedKittah
Pooka is on a distinguished road
What benefits does an NPCServer bring?

Honestly, I used to play almost exclusively on Classic just because NPCServer lags for me. At least on Classic the only real lag had to do with your connection and other players, whereas now even on 256k DSL I'm lagging. I go to open a door and it takes upwards of 10 seconds for it to "open".

I find NPCServer to be nothing but horrible

EDIT - There is the bonus that Classic may be worked on now. If that's the case, can we expect a new overworld or will it be developed to be just as ugly as it used to be?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Classic Systems Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka
I find NPCServer to be nothing but horrible
Unfortunately, your now in the minority. NPC Server brings a lot of benefits and on Classic were working hard to make sure there is as little lag as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka
EDIT - There is the bonus that Classic may be worked on now. If that's the case, can we expect a new overworld or will it be developed to be just as ugly as it used to be?
The main city, Onnet, MOD and a few key places like that will be the same but with ever increasing touch ups to thier tiling, the rest will be new, but should follow the theme of that classic was like before...

Old 01-29-2005, 11:43 AM
shutup ctrl+s
syltburk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to syltburk Send a message via AIM to syltburk Send a message via Yahoo to syltburk
master storm destroyed zols by bringing Lycia and Stom"ina" in there!!!!!!!! What are you thinking with? Damn...