Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Should we add a guns shop with every gun?
Yes, add a new guns shop with all the guns. 26 68.42%
No, don't add a new guns shop with all the guns. 12 31.58%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Zeross is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
I better call my mum and let her know that Nissan owes her $12,000 then.
She paid $18,000 for her car a few years ago and a friend of mine just bought the same model for $6,000.
Why? Mum's Nissan grew mileage and therefore is not the same worth as what it was when she initially bought it. (0 Miles on it, brand new everything).
I doubt everything is still in the same state.

However, on graal. We quite certainly don't have the issue of wear and tear.

Since I know that's not the point you're trying to make, I guess we'll skip the analogies. T

he weapon prices have indeed fluctuated, not necessarily decreased (like Mom's Nissan), but they have changed. Where they have changed is he player market (or the motor vehiclemarket in the case of mum's nissan).

Therefore we'll say Mom's Nissan is the Thompson, and she bought it for 500k, however its gained no miles and remained the same and is worth 500k on the motor vehicle market (player market). Yet, the government decides to release a massive amount of Nissans for 100,000$.

I doubt I need to go into detail in explaining the aftermath, incase such an incident should occur.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
What do you think the bailout was?

What do you think housing market bubbles are?

Should Era start buying back cars for 16k as well then?

These guys paid for an advantage; for a group of stats. They didn't pay for an item.
If the amount of the item mattered at all then MP5 would be worth 4 times less than it was 3 years ago since there were only 2 of them back then. Guns change price almost immediately after a buff or a nerf, regardless of how many of them there are.

The value (not COST) of items on Era represents the relative advantage over the average item in relation to the money supply, and people with the best item have no reason to ever sell, so as the money supply increases the price of the best item increases exactly in parity.

If everybody was using handguns and they all had 1k an AK47 would sell for 50k.
If everybody was using handguns and they all had 1mil an AK47 would sell for 50mil.

These guys aren't worried about their item losing its rarity, they're worried about losing their $2 million advantage.

And you can test this easily, by making a new gun with the exact same stats as the MP5 and releasing it for whatever price you were going to release the MP5 for, and these same people will still complain just as much.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
It would have been nice if these items had kept being released at a steady rate after War Head left, so that they never quite got this crazily inflated (MP5 was 300k in the shop).

But they didn't, and now people think that they're entitled to have an unfair advantage because they happened to be one of the few people who ended up with them.

It'd be like me getting to McDonalds at 10:35 or whatever time they stop serving breakfast and getting the last hotcakes, then the guy behind me offers me a few dollars extra for them because he just missed out and he REALLY wants them. Then I go back to McDonalds the next day and complain to the manager because now he's selling hotcakes again and he's ruining my business or reselling hotcakes that I just established.

Except these were MP5s, not hotcakes, and 3 years, not 1 day.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Constant thinker
GarethOmni is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to GarethOmni
The worst thing that could happen to Era is a reset if the guns being distributed via shops doesn't work. Oh wait, that's not even bad...

"The internet is awesome, It lets me joke about and do things that I would never really do in reality"
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Katbot
punkrules will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Mp5 is the root of all evil.
Delete the Mp5.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:
What do you think the bailout was?

What do you think housing market bubbles are?

Should Era start buying back cars for 16k as well then?

These guys paid for an advantage; for a group of stats. They didn't pay for an item.
If the amount of the item mattered at all then MP5 would be worth 4 times less than it was 3 years ago since there were only 2 of them back then. Guns change price almost immediately after a buff or a nerf, regardless of how many of them there are.

The value (not COST) of items on Era represents the relative advantage over the average item in relation to the money supply, and people with the best item have no reason to ever sell, so as the money supply increases the price of the best item increases exactly in parity.

If everybody was using handguns and they all had 1k an AK47 would sell for 50k.
If everybody was using handguns and they all had 1mil an AK47 would sell for 50mil.

These guys aren't worried about their item losing its rarity, they're worried about losing their $2 million advantage.

And you can test this easily, by making a new gun with the exact same stats as the MP5 and releasing it for whatever price you were going to release the MP5 for, and these same people will still complain just as much.

*In my indian voice* Woah, buddy.

You missed my entire point, it wasn't the release of more of these items that I was aiming at. It was the price of their release, which is: 100,000$ instead of the 5x more they purchased it for.

If the item had been released at the 300,000$, the price it should of been back then, this conversation would not be happening. However, it wasn't. And those players that traded MASSIVE amounts of items and/or money to obtain them from whatever sellers there were, would really get the **** end of the stick if it were to be released at prices far less than that.

And if the players are still the concern, that shouldn't be the case.
This idea is not just going to screw over the rich players alone, but any player that has excelled in this market to a "solidified status" in weaponry.

Simply to compensate those players who were unsuccessful or otherwise to lazy to put forth the effort? Not logical nor just.

You don't place late runners in the middle of the race, right next to the ones that are ahead and call it "just". You appropriately restart the already almost finished race in which everyone is placed at the starting line and no one feels their efforts have been in vein.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Kanto League Champion
I understood your point but it just doesn't make sense.
My point was that the price that people associate with these guns is way off because you can't actually buy an MP5 and the other rare guns are priced relative to the MP5.

Example:

The largest polished diamond in the world is the Star of Africa.
It is part of the the Crown Jewels and is estimated to be worth $400 million.

Now if you saved up $400 million and offered to buy it they would obviously say no.
Word gets around that you offered to buy it for $400 million and that your offer was rejected, so people logically conclude that it must actually be worth more than $400 million.

So you save up another $50 million, and you offer to buy it for $450 million, and again they say no.
So now people assume that the diamond must be worth even more than $450 million.

But you could keep saving and keep offering more and more money and they would always say no, because there is nothing that is better than the Star of Africa, so even if they had all of the money in the world they could only buy diamonds that are worse than the one they already have, and why would they want worse diamonds?

So every time you make an offer it seems like the price is going up.

Now imagine if a guy has some other diamonds that are exactly a quarter of the size of the Star of Africa, and he wants to sell them so that he can save up and eventually try and buy the Star of Africa for himself (he has a reason to sell), so he prices them accordingly; at one quarter of the "price" of the Star of Africa.

They start at $100 million each. After your first offer is refused and the "price" of the Star of Africa goes up he decides that since his diamonds are still a quarter of the size they should still be a quarter of the price, and he puts his up to $112.5 million. And then after your second offer he increases the price of them again to $125 million.

So even though the supply nor demand of either item has changed, because the money supply has increased and the smaller diamonds are priced relative to the Star of Africa they also increase in price for no apparent reason. And this could continue forever, because the Star of Africa is actually priceless but nobody has realized it yet.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Master Blaster
deathbarrier99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to deathbarrier99 Send a message via Yahoo to deathbarrier99
Demisis' metaphors make me sorta hot...

I shall not rest until every idiot has been vanquished!

Eros Cassini (Mon May 08 13:16:32 2006):
You're the fat Cassini
Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Constant thinker
I love fiat currencies, they are the best kind of currency ever.

"The internet is awesome, It lets me joke about and do things that I would never really do in reality"
Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
Quote:
My point was that the price that people associate with these guns is way off because you can't actually buy an MP5 and the other rare guns are priced relative to the MP5.

Example:

Now if you saved up $400 million and offered to buy it they would obviously say no.
Word gets around that you offered to buy it for $400 million and that your offer was rejected, so people logically conclude that it must actually be worth more than $400 million.

So you save up another $50 million, and you offer to buy it for $450 million, and again they say no.
So now people assume that the diamond must be worth even more than $450 million.

But you could keep saving and keep offering more and more money and they would always say no, because there is nothing that is better than the Star of Africa, so even if they had all of the money in the world they could only buy diamonds that are worse than the one they already have, and why would they want worse diamonds?

Now imagine if a guy has some other diamonds that are exactly a quarter of the size of the Star of Africa, and he wants to sell them so that he can save up and eventually try and buy the Star of Africa for himself (he has a reason to sell), so he prices them accordingly; at one quarter of the "price" of the Star of Africa.

They start at $100 million each. After your first offer is refused and the "price" of the Star of Africa goes up he decides that since his diamonds are still a quarter of the size they should still be a quarter of the price, and he puts his up to $112.5 million. And then after your second offer he increases the price of them again to $125 million.

So even though the supply nor demand of either item has changed, because the money supply has increased and the smaller diamonds are priced relative to the Star of Africa they also increase in price for no apparent reason. And this could continue forever, because the Star of Africa is actually priceless but nobody has realized it yet.
Whod pay 400 million for a freaking diamond, id pay 100 mil for a house, 100 mil for the best and rarest street legal car, 50mil on a private jet and yacht, 50 mil for everything else, 20mil on time machine, 30 mil on stocks that are to rise in the future, then 50mil to donate to poor just to not be selfish. Unless a diamond could make me fly or have super powers.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Quote:

Example:

I grasp the analogy, that the "true" value of the weapon (s) or Star of Africa is simply what its holders deem it. Its doesn't contradict or oppose anything I previously stated. It was more of a statement than an argument, a statement which I agree with. In short, the players control the market. Those who possess Stars of Africa determine its price.
However, that still does not justify this method of resolving such an issue.
You simply describe what brings about a messy economy such as this one, not how to cure it or more importantly, if this method of cure is just.

(Don't think you'd be able to find a realistic cure to inflation, reset itself is unrealistic -- in cases other than graal, so take advantage of it.)

My point: Using your analogy.

Lets say someone finally manages the purchase the Star of Africa for an overpriced 600 Million dollars, and the diamonds worth a quarter of the SoA have all been purchased at their overpriced markings. Its purchasers are all businessmen and are seeking profit from their new earnings and therefore raise the prices of each item as well.

The prices have now reached a point where its quite frankly unaffordable for any newer businessmen to engage in the trade because so many and such wealthy people control the market and are manipulating the prices. Therefore a larger break between the wealthy and lower class people in the diamond trade (players) is being built.

How can this be solved? By massively producing Stars of Africa and other diamonds at far less prices so everyone can own them?

In one fell swoop, you've completed deteriorated the entire market.
You've also screwed over those businessman who fought hard and purchased those items at their initial unattainable standards, why? Because the next generation's fight to obtain these items were unsuccessful?

If they were going to make the Star of Africa and other diamonds affordable and easily-obtainable, it should've been an act done a long time ago, even before you came to management.

In the analogy, only a few businessmen were able to achieve their items in this hard circumstances. In current Era, a VAST majority of the player-base has obtained their wealth or current standing in those circumstances. I'm not JUST speaking for players with big guns like Mp5, but people who've obtained a PPSH at its uncanny price, or a Morano Thompson, and so on and so forth.

Bombarding the Market with a mass of everything completely screws them over, unless you duely compensate them which is unreasonable to do with the amount of spawning that's already occurred. Therefore, the option comes down to; start it all overall. Learn from the mistake, and gain control of the market early so this twirl doesn't happen again.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
This tread, tl;dr. With that in mind, I'd rather not have a shop that has all the guns in it unless a reset was to occur and would feature the same system as the pawn shop.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Constant thinker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
This tread, tl;dr. With that in mind, I'd rather not have a shop that has all the guns in it unless a reset was to occur and would feature the same system as the pawn shop.
We should just go back to uzi, handgun, and shotgun.
Problem solved.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethOmni View Post
We should just go back to uzi, handgun, and shotgun.
Problem solved.
Yeah that would be great.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
wow guys u could make an essay out of this post