Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Bomy Island Staff Hiring

I'm still unsure as to whether this belongs in the playerworld hiring forum or not. But since Stefan considers this a 2k1 project then I will post here for now.

Anyway, I'm currently looking for anyone who is willing to help with my Graal 2k1 revision project, titled "Bomy Island". This project is basically a revised 2k1, which means updated graphics/levels/sounds/ganis/etc. It will still remain a 2k1 "feel" however.

As of right now the server is online (private) and in development. If you would seriously like to help out, feel free to message me on AIM. My aim name is konidias. If you can't contact me via aim then use a forum PM. I would prefer that we can talk on aim though. Here is what I am expecting from each development field:

Levels/LAT: All of the old levels need revised to fit the new tileset. There are minor changes that need to be made to every level, which can seem boring but if you're up for the challenge of doing it then please apply. There will also be some new levels needed as well as some major changes to old levels. If you cannot make levels in a "simple" and "clean" style, or if you cannot adapt your style to fit what is needed, then please don't bother applying.

Graphics/GAT: New graphics are needed as well, and even though I will be doing the majority of graphics, I'm always open to extra help. You would mainly be working on sprites such as clothing or hats or other things (which I have templates for). You also might be doing revisions of old graphics to fit the new look. It is important that you have the ability to blend with the planned style and not just do your own thing.

Scripting/NAT: I need someone who knows how to script efficiently on clientside AND serverside. I would also prefer if you knew how to script in ganis as well.

Music/Sound: If you're capable of making nice sound effects (that aren't stolen off of websites or something) then I'm very interested in your work. The server is going to require quite a few new sounds. As far as music is concerned, it is not needed as much, though a few pieces of music might help for minigames or events or such.

RP Administration/Police: The server will need several people to watch over the kingdoms and enforce roleplaying rules when required. The RP admins are grouped with the Police and they will handle disputes and rulebreakers accordingly. For example, if the dispute is non-RP you can handle it like normal, but if the situation is RP in nature, you need to roleplay as the police officer and handle things that way. If you're interested in this job you need to tell me if you have any previous experience with anything similar to this.

Here is a small snapshot of the new tiles and new (unfinished) body.

Thanks for reading.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 08-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Starting not to love you
Curt1zzle has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Curt1zzle
*Cheers* Go Konidias.

Is the staff position of fanboi open by chance? :o

This message has been deleted by Sam. Reason: you should better stop it now
Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 AM
The Driftwood of Graal
GryffonDurime is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GryffonDurime
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias

RP Administration/Police: The server will need several people to watch over the kingdoms and enforce roleplaying rules when required. The RP admins are grouped with the Police and they will handle disputes and rulebreakers accordingly. For example, if the dispute is non-RP you can handle it like normal, but if the situation is RP in nature, you need to roleplay as the police officer and handle things that way. If you're interested in this job you need to tell me if you have any previous experience with anything similar to this.
I'm sorry, that just seems like an utterly stupid way of resolving RP conflicts; and by your definition you're still lacking staff other than yourself who moderate the setting and largescale events.

"Gather round, my children, an' I shall tell ye' a tale worth the telling: once upon a time, two great kings; one a shining example of chivalry, the other a beguiling warlord from the Southwestern desert, who met upon the field of battle, with their armies lusting for each other's blood. Then, a man in a squad car drove up, and asked them to see yon arcane Equestrian Liscence and Registration. After filing charges against the noble Lord Kantemuth, Lord Bizark made a rude gesture and asked that he "kindly come get his trash out of his side of the trailer...I mean Kingdom."
Old 08-01-2005, 03:35 AM
Assimilated Zurkiba
Zurkiba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zurkiba
Zing
Old 08-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Old Bee
Please don't turn this into an arguement. I'm simply looking for staff. I didn't ask for your opinion on anything.

edit: On a side note, your example is ridiculous. Why do you have to make it sound so outlandish? I didn't say anything about squad cars or trailers. Since when are you so knowledgeable with RP? Do you even know what roleplaying means? Apparently not. You seem to think of it as something that was created on Graal and that everything must follow rules and boundaries set by past servers.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:48 AM
The Driftwood of Graal
Quote:
Please don't turn this into an arguement. I'm simply looking for staff. I didn't ask for your opinion on anything.

edit: On a side note, your example is ridiculous. Why do you have to make it sound so outlandish? I didn't say anything about squad cars or trailers. Since when are you so knowledgeable with RP? Do you even know what roleplaying means? Apparently not. You seem to think of it as something that was created on Graal and that everything must follow rules and boundaries set by past servers.
I think that you're toting your server on being "New Graphics with the old feel" but you seem to be throwing out the hardwork of past Roleplayers on 2k1 as if they were so much garbage. You're throwing away something that was a very large part of 2k1 to a very large percent of it's population.

"I didn't ask for your opinions." You see now, I think it was VT that warned you about that. You go alieniating your clinetelé before they even have the chance to form an opinion based on your server's merits, the same thing you've been pleading with people not to do.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:01 AM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffonDurime
I think that you're toting your server on being "New Graphics with the old feel" but you seem to be throwing out the hardwork of past Roleplayers on 2k1 as if they were so much garbage. You're throwing away something that was a very large part of 2k1 to a very large percent of it's population.

"I didn't ask for your opinions." You see now, I think it was VT that warned you about that. You go alieniating your clinetelé before they even have the chance to form an opinion based on your server's merits, the same thing you've been pleading with people not to do.
I think you're getting the wrong idea then. I'm not throwing away roleplaying.

I didn't ask for YOUR opinion. You've made it clear that you're against my project so why do I care what you have to say? You're working on Lance's project and this isn't the place to give your opinion on my server. This is a thread I created to inform people of job positions available. If I said "and please give me your opinions on my server, thanks" then I could understand why you'd post. You've made it pretty clear that you aren't going to be my "clinetelé".

Roleplaying is exactly as the name suggests. You play a role. Every server on Graal is pretty much considered roleplaying. You have a character that you dress up and modify the appearance of... you play the role of that character. Even in a first person shooter, you're playing the role of whatever person you're controlling.

I believe you see "roleplaying" as some sort of thing you've pieced together from playing Graal. You can roleplay without speaking in medieval tongue. You can roleplay without kings. You can roleplay without involving politics. I've always hated Graal RP because one group of people molds it into some specific thing and that is just stupid.

My server HEAVILY involves roleplaying. I'm incorporating roleplaying aspects into nearly everything. The custom character system alone is leaps and bounds beyond the original system as far as roleplay is concerned. You can't just set your head and body at any given time anymore. You play the role of the character you build. The clothing you wear you had to obtain for yourself. The jobs you do depend on what you're most interested in. You even get a house to live in and change to your liking.

ALL OF THAT IS ROLEPLAYING. Just not in the form that you're familiar with, apparently. Even selling stuff in the market is a form of roleplay. You don't have to be like "good day sire!" to roleplay. Although I can see how speaking in a certain tongue would help immerse you better. It's not all there is to roleplaying. The npc king idea I have will not destroy roleplaying. In fact, I think it will encourage MORE people to roleplay. You have no real clue as to what I have in store for roleplaying. You just jump to conclusions and assume I'm not interested in RP at all.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:14 AM
The Driftwood of Graal
Quote:
I think you're getting the wrong idea then. I'm not throwing away roleplaying.

I didn't ask for YOUR opinion. You've made it clear that you're against my project so why do I care what you have to say? You're working on Lance's project and this isn't the place to give your opinion on my server. This is a thread I created to inform people of job positions available. If I said "and please give me your opinions on my server, thanks" then I could understand why you'd post. You've made it pretty clear that you aren't going to be my "clinetelé".

Roleplaying is exactly as the name suggests. You play a role. Every server on Graal is pretty much considered roleplaying. You have a character that you dress up and modify the appearance of... you play the role of that character. Even in a first person shooter, you're playing the role of whatever person you're controlling.

I believe you see "roleplaying" as some sort of thing you've pieced together from playing Graal. You can roleplay without speaking in medieval tongue. You can roleplay without kings. You can roleplay without involving politics. I've always hated Graal RP because one group of people molds it into some specific thing and that is just stupid.

My server HEAVILY involves roleplaying. I'm incorporating roleplaying aspects into nearly everything. The custom character system alone is leaps and bounds beyond the original system as far as roleplay is concerned. You can't just set your head and body at any given time anymore. You play the role of the character you build. The clothing you wear you had to obtain for yourself. The jobs you do depend on what you're most interested in. You even get a house to live in and change to your liking.

ALL OF THAT IS ROLEPLAYING. Just not in the form that you're familiar with, apparently. Even selling stuff in the market is a form of roleplay. You don't have to be like "good day sire!" to roleplay. Although I can see how speaking in a certain tongue would help immerse you better. It's not all there is to roleplaying. The npc king idea I have will not destroy roleplaying. In fact, I think it will encourage MORE people to roleplay. You have no real clue as to what I have in store for roleplaying. You just jump to conclusions and assume I'm not interested in RP at all.

Now you're the one who is making woefully inaccurate assumptions about MY roleplaying. Considering that I'm one of the people who's opposed using Yon Crappy Archaic English when it dosen't fit the setting of your character. As my own little anecdote pointed out, you could take any random piece of crap, phrase it in Olde English, and all you get is a less legible piece of crap.

As for Roleplaying; I disagree. There's a difference between Playing a Character and Roleplaying a Character, and I think anyone that's played a video game where you can change clothing and those who have acted as a character would (be it DnD, chat, LARP, Graal, etc) can tell you the intrinsic difference. "OMG I CAN CHANGE THE COLOR OF MY PANTS" is not Roleplaying. Feeling for your character as a secondary persona or a finely crafted story is.

And as for this being the place; I think this is EXACTLY the place. Let's talk about YOUR failure to comprehend words, shall we?

n. pl. fo·rums, also fo·ra (fôr, fr)

1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
2. A public meeting place for open discussion.
3. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.

This isn't Bomy Island's private forum. This is 2k1's; and I won't begrudge that it should be here. But I won't just let you say that it's not the place of the general public in an open forum to address concerns with plans proposed.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Old Bee
Way to take the definition of something and twist it to accomodate your actions. Yes this is a forum but that does not mean that this is the place to post your opinion of my server. You might as well be posting it in some thread talking about another playerworld. Because you know what both threads have in common? Neither of them asked for your opinion.

If this forum is so open to people's opinions, I'd love for you to explain why we can't talk about other online rpgs, and why we can't talk negatively about graal here. Oh wait, I know why... because of RULES. I'm pretty sure there is a rule about taking threads off topic. In no way is your opinion about my server on topic with this thread. This thread is for me to let people know of job positions. That is all. Not a "anybody can post whatever the hell they want because this is a forum by definition" thread.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:34 AM
The Driftwood of Graal
Quote:
Way to take the definition of something and twist it to accomodate your actions. Yes this is a forum but that does not mean that this is the place to post your opinion of my server. You might as well be posting it in some thread talking about another playerworld. Because you know what both threads have in common? Neither of them asked for your opinion.

If this forum is so open to people's opinions, I'd love for you to explain why we can't talk about other online rpgs, and why we can't talk negatively about graal here. Oh wait, I know why... because of RULES. I'm pretty sure there is a rule about taking threads off topic. In no way is your opinion about my server on topic with this thread. This thread is for me to let people know of job positions. That is all. Not a "anybody can post whatever the hell they want because this is a forum by definition" thread.
Actually, I think off-topic is fine, because most of the time it's seen as a natural evolution of the topic. My original intent was to point out something I saw as a concern in your hiring positions. I believe you then degraded it into a "Whatever, you just don't understand RP" thing. Twisting words? You preach about not going Off-topic but you yourself led the topic down paths more esoteric and less germane.

I still believe your Roleplaying Facilitation positions are woefully inadaquate.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:44 AM
Old Bee
Why are you even concerned with my server in the first place?

Old 08-01-2005, 04:47 AM
The Driftwood of Graal
Quote:
Why are you even concerned with my server in the first place?
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I'm feeling ambivalent. Your server can ver easily be good; just as Lance's can.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:17 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Er, why is it called Bomy Island if there won't be playable Bomys?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:01 AM
Emily_Cruddas is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure there WILL be bomys because he has a new look for them like the one in his avatar, he's just making all new tilesets that look so much more advanced than the classic tiles, but the same idea is used, same with the bodies, they look alot more 3Dish to me and that's got my attention already.

As for RPing in the server i'm sure a new topic could be made for it, konidias is just looking for certain "RP enforcers" so his server does not wind up like GK with lots of powergamers or metagamers ruining an otherwise entertaining server.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:09 AM
A Logic Bot
Judge_S is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Judge_S Send a message via AIM to Judge_S Send a message via MSN to Judge_S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily_Cruddas
I'm pretty sure there WILL be bomys because he has a new look for them like the one in his avatar
Notice Googi's wording. "Playable" Bomies. Just because Koni is making new graphics doesn't mean that they will be used for players. Those graphics can just be used for NPCs if he so desires.
And judging from Googi pointing out Koni wanting to remove playable Bomies on several occasions (See: Grwal: The Comic), I'd wager to say there is basis Googi's position -- Oh, and the fact that Koni said he didn't want playable Bomies.