Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias
Pretty much every Zelda game includes Zelda in the title but do you play as Zelda? No.
Yeah, which is something people often make fun of.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_S
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to acknowledge that Bomies were one of, if not the main draw to Graal2001. What did players get out of paying, for the first time ever, for a single server, that they didn't get on any other servers? Quests? No. Sparring? No. Cool NPCs? Not really. A completely new, separate, working, playable race? Yes. Heck, even the GraalOnline website had Bomies being the star attraction.
I didn't upgrade to play as a bomy. I upgraded because I wanted to play the newest server that Stefan was working on, which had an npc server to prevent hacking, and a more stable economy and the server just seemed more professional and new. I had no interest in playing as a bomy, however I was very interested in getting a bomy pet.

Quote:
You can't accurately compare a pet to a playable race. Pets were mindless, and were things. A playable race means there's a person behind the online image.
That being said, again, pets gave their owners (most often human) almost all the advantages being a Bomy had, thus eliminating the need or desire to be of the Bomy race. Again, this is a balance issue.
Exactly. It made no sense that pets were mindless yet bomy players were intelligent. That would be like some people keeping monkeys as pets and some monkeys living as humans and having jobs and houses and families. It makes absolutely no sense. How exactly do you correct the balance issue? Take away some of the fun aspects of owning a bomy pet? Give bomy players even more abilities? Or hey, I know... remove bomy players. Balance issue solved.

Quote:
Therefore, you're saying you will put effort and work on things that you want -- not the players. Granted, a developer cannot possibly encompass all of the players' wants, but I'm sure that most people, even if they weren't planning on being a Bomy, would still like to have others that are around.
If I feel that it's a waste of my time, and if I'm not going to have fun making it, then it will not be made. I don't know why that's such a hard concept to grasp. You guys aren't paying me to do this. I'm not under any obligation to make things that are requested. This is why so many playerworlds fail. Because the manager/development team become whipped dogs for the players.

Quote:
However, you are forcing those who do play your server to play it within the confines and boundaries that you, and only you, are setting for it, whether they like it or not.
You can't please everybody. Every game is going to have boundaries. You either adapt to them as a player, or you don't play. It's pretty simple. Sure you can suggest something be done about it, but that doesn't necassarily mean something has to be done.

Quote:
No, but you could never play as Zelda anyways. With Graal2001, you were able to play as Bomies; now you are not, and accordingly, one would hope the name "Bomy" would not show up in the title or subtitle of the server.
That's a silly reason to not be able to use the name Bomy in the server name. The server heavily focuses on bomies. Just not as players. I could see how you could question the name if I removed ALL aspects of bomies from the server, but just because I remove Bomy players doesn't mean the server has nothing to do with bomies.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 08-03-2005, 05:14 AM
Gunslinger
Zulithe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zulithe Send a message via Yahoo to Zulithe
hey konidias! I totally support the work you're doing to revive 2k1 (or, "Bomy Island," a much better name btw) Can't wait to try it out!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 AM
Rat...
Brad has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe
hey konidias! I totally support the work you're doing to revive 2k1 (or, "Bomy Island," a much better name btw) Can't wait to try it out!

what the hell.

Brad.
2k14lyf
Forum idiots shall rule once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad
Forums without brad will have been sad
Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Cult of the Winky
Amagius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Out of the AEther.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:25 PM
pretty princess
Correction will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Correction Send a message via AIM to Correction
Quote:
If nobody likes it I won't add it, it's not a big deal to me. I just thought it would be neat to see the sword since every sword is an item now so people might want to show them off. Plus it was weird to swing a sword from nowhere, but I dunno... I was just experimenting. What does everyone else think? Should I just remove the sword? Is attaching the sword to the player changing the player too much?
I just mean holding the sword at that angle. It's unnatural... nobody holds a sword like that when they're standing still. The running animation is fine, but find a different angle for the sword to be held at when the player is stationary.. anything besides straight up. ;p

And if you're going to add the swords like that then I suggest you reconsider my sheathing features I suggest in another thread. It would look odd for everybody standing around a market to have their swords drawn and battle-ready.

Also, I too believe there should be playable bomies... The diversity was nice. Plus, without them what am I going to have to pick on...
Old 08-03-2005, 05:41 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
what the hell.
He applied for a job for sure.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Quote:
Which can be considered one of the flaws. Being a human with a bomy pet eliminated most of the already few advantages that being a Bomy had. This is more of a balance issue.
I agree with this. A good counterbalance would be to allow bomies to have human pets.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:27 PM
haunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist
I agree with this. A good counterbalance would be to allow bomies to have human pets.
There was an idea a loooooong time ago for Bomy Mechs or something... Basically it just gives the bomy arms and legs.

Edit: They were called BAES.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Kyden
Waltz5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter
There was an idea a loooooong time ago for Bomy Mechs or something... Basically it just gives the bomy arms and legs.
BAES, or the Bomy Appendage Enhancement Suit/System.

Edit: Looks like you got that now.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Have A Drink On Me
AlexH is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlexH Send a message via MSN to AlexH
The problem with giving bomies stuff like that is because they are all different shapes and sizes. That was the problem when people were trying to think of something similar to hats for them.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Old Bee
The problem with giving bomies BAES is that it's at terribly stupid idea and should never happen, ever. You might as well just be a freaking human if you're going to have arms and legs and whatnot. People have totally ruined what bomies were originally supposed to be and I'm going to try and fix that.

As for the holding of the sword... It looks even sillier to hold the sword down instead of up. It looks like you're already stabbing out at something. It might be possible to hold it down at an inward angle though... I'll experiment with it. As for holding a sword upwards being unnatural... Actually if you're standing in a battle stance you wouldn't be holding your sword down. But I guess since most of the time you're idle you're not really fighting, then you have a point. As for a scabbard.... I could do it like I planned for Oasis and have both scabbard and quiver and even possibly your shield on your back. I'm not sure whether that would be a nice feature or a hindrance for most people though. It's kind of extra work to have to pull your weapons out even after you've equipped them to yourself.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Assimilated Zurkiba
Zurkiba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zurkiba
Quote:
The problem with giving bomies BAES is that it's at terribly stupid idea and should never happen, ever. You might as well just be a freaking human if you're going to have arms and legs and whatnot. People have totally ruined what bomies were originally supposed to be and I'm going to try and fix that.
Antago, the creator of the playable race known as bomies, forged the ideas of BAES
Old 08-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurkiba
Antago, the creator of the playable race known as bomies, forged the ideas of BAES
I talked to him and he admitted that it wasn't a very good idea for 2k1. I actually talked to him for a while about bomies and learned the history and some interesting things about them. Bomies for 2k1 are supposed to be more like Yoshis.

He also agreed that his original plans for bomies were totally skewed because of other people getting in on the development. People started making things that looked nothing like bomies and got them uploaded.

edit: In fact, if I recall, he didn't come up with that idea... I don't think he had any control over it once he left and Kyle took over. Then birdbird and some other got involved with the project. If he did indeed come up with BAES, then I guess I'm mistaken. But it's still a really stupid idea. The whole point of having two races was to give them enough differences that people would want to pick one. Not give them exactly the same abilities.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 AM
A Logic Bot
Judge_S is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Judge_S Send a message via AIM to Judge_S Send a message via MSN to Judge_S
Quote:
Oldbie aggro! Quick, everyone attack with Bogens and trap him in the Net!