Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Emily_Cruddas is on a distinguished road
Ok, i never looked at that post so i missed out on info there, and if the "playable" bomys are not added and you don't like it.....just don't play, problem solved! (you know you would play anyways, everyone does in the end)
Old 08-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
I don't know how you plan to keep the 2k1 "feel", Koni, if you effectively force roleplaying. Forcing people who don't want to roleplay to roleplay, or demanding that they conform to some roleplaying standard, isn't an enticing prospect. If people are bad at roleplaying, they will probably be ridiculed into being better at it, or just not bother and go play the quests/jobs/minigames.

I think you're deviating too far from the 2k1 idea. The mechanics of the server are not and were not broken. Bring back the old HP and old bodies, update the graphics if you like, but don't change the core mechanics. Let the players decide when and how to roleplay. Put in the bomy<->human system, but make it difficult to change back and forth (players must pay a substantial fee, bring some items, and so on). People haven't been calling for 2k1 to be changed, they've been calling for it to be revived. Some adjustments are needed, but the server doesn't have to be rebuilt. If you change it too much people just won't stay. You won't have a base community of regulars which used to frequent the old 2k1, and with no base community, there will be nothing to keep people playing. Players value playercounts, and you'll need a solid, steady one to keep people playing.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 PM
dark overlord
Lance is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist
I don't know how you plan to keep the 2k1 "feel", Koni, if you effectively force roleplaying. Forcing people who don't want to roleplay to roleplay, or demanding that they conform to some roleplaying standard, isn't an enticing prospect. If people are bad at roleplaying, they will probably be ridiculed into being better at it, or just not bother and go play the quests/jobs/minigames.

I think you're deviating too far from the 2k1 idea. The mechanics of the server are not and were not broken. Bring back the old HP and old bodies, update the graphics if you like, but don't change the core mechanics. Let the players decide when and how to roleplay. Put in the bomy<->human system, but make it difficult to change back and forth (players must pay a substantial fee, bring some items, and so on). People haven't been calling for 2k1 to be changed, they've been calling for it to be revived. Some adjustments are needed, but the server doesn't have to be rebuilt. If you change it too much people just won't stay. You won't have a base community of regulars which used to frequent the old 2k1, and with no base community, there will be nothing to keep people playing. Players value playercounts, and you'll need a solid, steady one to keep people playing.
But changes can't be bad. Any change is good. Any progress is good. I know because VT said so. I'm so confused.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
But changes can't be bad. Any change is good. Any progress is good. I know because VT said so. I'm so confused.
No changes have been made yet. I'm simply trying to keep him from making degress.

I'm not telling him his server will be bad. I'm simply telling him that his version of 2k1 has some design issues he might want to consider. His server could be great, and the only reason it wouldn't be positive progress is because you, finally, are working on something. If his was the only alternative, it would still be "good". If I had a choice between playing no 2k1 or playing Koni-2k1, I would certainly play the Koni-2k1 and would consider it superior to yours.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Assimilated Zurkiba
Zurkiba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zurkiba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
However, VT was also pushing for Graal 2001. Not a new server
Old 08-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist

I think you misread something somewhere. I said I want to "encourage" roleplay. I think I've pointed out a dozen times now that I do not want to enforce roleplay. This is all just a bunch of misunderstandings and I refuse to sit here and argue with people who don't actually know what my server is going to be about. It's just wasting my time and getting people all worked up for no reason.

Also, as much as I value the old community, it is not my intention to please them in every way possible. I don't know why you would think this in the first place. The server will be fun (in my opinion) and should attract many people. Old community or not. I'm trying to make the server in a way that would attract new people, as well as interest the original players.

I'm not going to bow to each and every person's demands. If you don't like that, then you don't have to play. I don't want to see a bunch of people reply with "omgz u wont keep playerz if u dont listen 2 us!111". I think we will leave that up to everyone to decide after I release the server. I'm open to people's opinions (when I've asked for them), but I am not open to demands. I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

Stop worrying about something you aren't sure of anyway.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
pretty princess
Correction will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Correction Send a message via AIM to Correction
Please don't have human players hold swords like that... every server has players hold swords like that, and it's unnatural and goofy looking. >:O
Old 08-02-2005, 08:59 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Right, so why is it called Bomy Island if there are no playable Bomys?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Old Bee
Hmmm is it really that bad?

(animation kind of got slowed down in my animation program)

If nobody likes it I won't add it, it's not a big deal to me. I just thought it would be neat to see the sword since every sword is an item now so people might want to show them off. Plus it was weird to swing a sword from nowhere, but I dunno... I was just experimenting. What does everyone else think? Should I just remove the sword? Is attaching the sword to the player changing the player too much?

Old 08-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
Right, so why is it called Bomy Island if there are no playable Bomys?
Why ask stupid questions? There are still going to be bomies. The central focus of the server is on bomies. They are just not going to be playable.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 PM
A Logic Bot
Judge_S is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Judge_S Send a message via AIM to Judge_S Send a message via MSN to Judge_S
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias
Why ask stupid questions? There are still going to be bomies. The central focus of the server is on bomies. They are just not going to be playable.
Which takes away a lot from the core of what "Graal2001" is. That's just like getting rid of the Draisine and railroad tracks, or removing/"revamping" other core, key G2k1 aspects.
Bomies were what a large number of people subscribed for. They didn't subscribe to see some new whippy NPCs walk around and do the odd thing; they subscribed to play a new race -- something never previously accomplished on such a grand and fun scale.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Rat...
Brad has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_S
Which takes away a lot from the core of what "Graal2001" is. That's just like getting rid of the Draisine and railroad tracks, or removing/"revamping" other core, key G2k1 aspects.
Bomies were what a large number of people subscribed for. They didn't subscribe to see some new whippy NPCs walk around and do the odd thing; they subscribed to play a new race -- something never previously accomplished on such a grand and fun scale.

i played to see manny walk around bomboria and arrest ppl

Brad.
2k14lyf
Forum idiots shall rule once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad
Forums without brad will have been sad
Old 08-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_S
Maybe at first. But over time being a bomy player wasn't much fun. There were too many disadvantages. It was becoming increasingly difficult to balance the two races so that people would be happy on both sides. Can you PROVE that a LARGE number of people subscribed SOLELY because they could play as bomies?

With bomy pets you can ride them which allows you to move exactly like a bomy player would. It made little sense to have bomy players and bomy pets. One of them had to go. Bomy pets are far more popular than playing as a bomy, so that is why I picked that one over the other. I'm sure if you want to play as a bomy you can play Lance's server, but I do not have the time nor do I want to spend the time working on the bomy player stuff. I'm not even going to argue about it because it's just not happening. I'm not forcing you to play my server, and you're not forcing me to make it the way you want it.

Also Googi, I guess you're trying to be clever or witty by pointing out that the server is named bomy island and you can't play as a bomy, but you're just making yourself look like an ass. Pretty much every Zelda game includes Zelda in the title but do you play as Zelda? No.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Role-playing Overseer
Discharge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Discharge
I want to apply for role-playing administrator. I've tried sending private messages to you Konidas but your inbox is full. I do not have any previous rule enforcement staff position.

Discharge : RETIRED
2001-2005

Last edited by Discharge; 08-03-2005 at 01:35 AM..
Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 AM
A Logic Bot
Judge_S is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Judge_S Send a message via AIM to Judge_S Send a message via MSN to Judge_S
Quote:
But over time being a bomy player wasn't much fun.
I'll agree with you there, but that's not because the race lost its lustre, it was because humans had obvious advantages over Bomies, most notably in economic areas such as farming, or fishing when it was bugged.
Eventually, playing as a Bomy basically meant playing with a handicap -- not because Bomies were designed with one in mind, but because development had made them have one.
Quote:
Can you PROVE that a LARGE number of people subscribed SOLELY because they could play as bomies?
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to acknowledge that Bomies were one of, if not the main draw to Graal2001. What did players get out of paying, for the first time ever, for a single server, that they didn't get on any other servers? Quests? No. Sparring? No. Cool NPCs? Not really. A completely new, separate, working, playable race? Yes. Heck, even the GraalOnline website had Bomies being the star attraction.
Quote:
With bomy pets you can ride them which allows you to move exactly like a bomy player would. It made little sense to have bomy players and bomy pets.
Which can be considered one of the flaws. Being a human with a bomy pet eliminated most of the already few advantages that being a Bomy had. This is more of a balance issue.
Quote:
Bomy pets are far more popular than playing as a bomy, so that is why I picked that one over the other.
You can't accurately compare a pet to a playable race. Pets were mindless, and were things. A playable race means there's a person behind the online image.
That being said, again, pets gave their owners (most often human) almost all the advantages being a Bomy had, thus eliminating the need or desire to be of the Bomy race. Again, this is a balance issue.
Quote:
I'm sure if you want to play as a bomy you can play Lance's server
I'm not making this into a personal vendetta against you or your attempt at a Graal2001, so I would appreciate if you would not do the same.
Quote:
I do not have the time nor do I want to spend the time working on the bomy player stuff.
Therefore, you're saying you will put effort and work on things that you want -- not the players. Granted, a developer cannot possibly encompass all of the players' wants, but I'm sure that most people, even if they weren't planning on being a Bomy, would still like to have others that are around.
Quote:
I'm not forcing you to play my server
However, you are forcing those who do play your server to play it within the confines and boundaries that you, and only you, are setting for it, whether they like it or not.
Quote:
...You're not forcing me to make it the way you want it.
Which is quite evident, seeing as I'm not the developer. I'm merely a would-be player, expressing his opinions on the matter, which you seem adamant in refusing to incorporate simply because you don't want to spend the time doing it.
Quote:
Pretty much every Zelda game includes Zelda in the title but do you play as Zelda? No.
No, but you could never play as Zelda anyways. With Graal2001, you were able to play as Bomies; now you are not, and accordingly, one would hope the name "Bomy" would not show up in the title or subtitle of the server.