Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
The Graal3D Winter Preview server was definitely a step in the right direction. It was nicely styled and for the most part stable too. I think that the engine has probably been modified quite a bit since then though.
Hi Skyld - I didn't expect to see you on these forums! How are you doing?

Also, I agree.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Old 07-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
Was something wrong with the character models on my end?
Of course it could have done with some work, but it fairly well captured the Graal2001/Graal Kingdoms feel in terms of buildings etc. It was promising, and it worked pretty damn well too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks
Graal should be HTML5 capable.
If you mean making a HTML5 game client, then that sounds like trying to make HTML do a thing that HTML is not supposed to do, which plenty of people try and the result is pretty much always terrible. Not to mention the obvious advantages of the client not being so readily modifiable by JavaScript/browser extensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkler
Hi Skyld - I didn't expect to see you on these forums! How are you doing?
I keep an occasional watch on what's going on! I'm very well though. Yourself?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
Of course it could have done with some work, but it fairly well captured the Graal2001/Graal Kingdoms feel in terms of buildings etc. It was promising, and it worked pretty damn well too.

If you mean making a HTML5 game client, then that sounds like trying to make HTML do a thing that HTML is not supposed to do, which plenty of people try and the result is pretty much always terrible. Not to mention the obvious advantages of the client not being so readily modifiable by JavaScript/browser extensions.

I keep an occasional watch on what's going on! I'm very well though. Yourself?
Oh man, I loved that server. It lagged me badly tho unless I looked at walls and floors when I moved if it wasn't for that it would have been amazing experience. I wish it was still around I think it would be great.

HTML5 is ment to handle that kind of stuff. It's not the HTML part thats doing it, its the javascript end. And I agree about the whole client being not able to readily modify there extensions. There are certainly ways around some of the issues, and I have seen both good and bad examples of games. I think the neatest demo I saw was Quake ported to HTML5.. Everyone has been calling for the days flash dies and as an alternative HTML5 is a real candidate.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:36 AM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
I don't think client updates are going to help.
PC Graal is virtually dead, and has no hope unless they move to a new business model (such as the Minecraft model).
I seriously have no idea why some people are still paying to develop their own servers, while there's almost a zero chance any of them will ever go public (the only new server in about a decade of the pay-to-develop system is Zodiac).

Also, censoring and patronizing the community of a community-based game (as is commonly done around here) is just detrimental.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoc View Post
I don't think client updates are going to help.
PC Graal is virtually dead, and has no hope unless they move to a new business model (such as the Minecraft model).
I seriously have no idea why some people are still paying to develop their own servers, while there's almost a zero chance any of them will ever go public (the only new server in about a decade of the pay-to-develop system is Zodiac).
Graal needs to shift more toward using more scripted tools that allow for live and direct editing, which has started to happen already. Client updates will enable new capabilities and functions that cannot be scripted in through GS2 / GS3 yet, similar to the way Flash was added for the Games server, and GUI Windows were added, which enable things like custom skins and whatnot.

As for server models, I have suggested before that a microtransaction system similar to the shops most main servers use could probably be used to help players pay off rental fees if they are able to get people to buy Gelats. (And anything past that would be profit for the company.)

But all that aside, it's good to have someone in place who is able to work on such things and implement positive changes.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
hi skyld
Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Banned
-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to -Ching
ok lets get real. graal pc doesnt make money, igraal does. pc graal dead, igraal alive.

think thats everything sorted, lets go pub
Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
i have spent over $10,000 on gelats on iclassic. I only have 7 played hours
Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Banned
-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to -Ching
its ok if your 15. feels wrong when i play it
Old 07-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
hi skyld

Old 07-20-2015, 03:54 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
i cri in my private jet evry time
Old 07-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
I spent $6,000 on NES games and i've only played a couple hundred hours Lucky for me that collection is worth a little more then double that now. So don't feel bad. I think I spent hundreds, to thousands on graal over my 10+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ching View Post
ok lets get real. graal pc doesnt make money, igraal does. pc graal dead, igraal alive.

think thats everything sorted, lets go pub
Your right about mobile making more then pc.. They should have jumped on the bandwagon of micropayment on pc back in the day when people shelled out thousands and there were higher player counts on pc.

But..
Hasn't mobile servers also seen slightly decreased player counts? If graal really wants to bash RPG, in an Adventure game.. it's more then welcome to but thats how PC died everything went RPG/Dungeon based. I think most notably is GK with its 1 level dungeons that you just fight a few rounds then a boss or something.

Era for mobile tho is different then the already forced rpg play. The thing is tho that mobile servers get recognized more.. there much easier to find in the app store just randomly searching then it would ever be for PC Graal which has virtually no advertisement, endorsement's, or anything really that would advertise them. So you can look for yourself that the quality of the mobile servers, also is higher then there PC counterparts. Better quality makes people willing to stick around longer, face it the unique ip's that get to both pc and mobile.. mobile has a higher retention then pc because of it's quality. But still I refuse to play them because id prefer a pc environment, a server with less then 50-100 people idle in 1 single level o.O, and finally a keyboard.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Playerworld Administrator
Rob is on a distinguished road
I can understand the frustration of being left in the dark when being part of such a small and loyal community. I'll try to share what I believe I can.

@Stefan: Stefan had his ups and downs. In terms of activity, he has no doubt felt publicly "better" among those who have helped to design Graal. On the other hand, if you were a coder, dealing with Stefan was like trying to break down a wall with your face.

Often, you'd report an issue ("Timevar does not update exactly every 5 seconds," "timevar2 is off by a random offset per server," "I can steal Graal passwords do you want me to tell you how?"), and his response would often be in the form of "No it's working correctly."

Perhaps Stefan no longer cared about Graal. Or it's possible that Stefan never cared about Graal per se, so much as he cared about just coding things for the fun of it. That would explain why, as many people in this thread have noted, he would change his mind about content creation on a yearly basis.

We've seen this a lot within the game as well, right? Scripters who would begin a new project and work HARD for the first few days. They'd do all the "fun" (interesting / challenging / learning) portions of a system. Then it came time to do the basic/boring stuff (make some long switch/case in an onActionServerside, create the GUI, balance the prices of the fish, or just document/release the project). All of a sudden, the project is dropped because something else is more interesting.

For why he's ACTUALLY gone, I don't know any of the specifics (and even if I did I'd likely be unable to speak about them), but what I can say is that it appeared to be legal in nature. I don't know what exactly happened, but I don't personally expect the return of "Uncle Stefan" any time soon.

@Stefan Replacements: It wouldn't be my place to reveal any details or be making any official announcements about this sort of topic. All I can really say is that Unixmad is aware of the issue and is working to resolve it.

@Who is Xor?: Xor is the Manager of iClassic and part of the global administration. Carlito is my boss. Xor is Carlito's boss.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Eclipse is a jewel in the roughEclipse is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Eclipse
As someone who played Graal on pc for 12+ years and hated the mobile platform, im sure if you could try to get them on PC they would enjoy the experience more than they do on their phone. PC servers need love too.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:11 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
@Stefan Replacements: It wouldn't be my place to reveal any details or be making any official announcements about this sort of topic. All I can really say is that Unixmad is aware of the issue and is working to resolve it.
Well, please do keep us posted.
Closed Thread