Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Mr. Brightside
wild8900 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to wild8900
Who owns the uploaded scripts?

I always get in an argument witch this *****y server owner I used to work for/with. She claims every script and graphic I uploaded belongs to her. Keep in mind, this server was removed almost a year ago. She thinks I have to get her permission to use MY scripts on other servers. She also steals my scripts and uses them to become staff on other servers because she thinks they're hers.

So who really owns my content?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
You can't work for a server, upload your content, and then expect when you quit to take it all with you. If you work for a server, and you develop stuff for that server, then yes, it's theirs... Imagine if I worked for, say, UN. I developed the WHOLE overworld, most of the weapons, and a lot of graphics... then I decide to quit. If I took everything, UN would be empty. How much sense does that make?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Mr. Brightside
No no you're misunderstanding me. Maybe I was unclear on my intentions. (And yes I did develop the entire server I worked for) The server is closed yet she thinks she has the right to use the content on other servers as well as say they literally belong to HER, not to the server.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:24 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Well that's a bit on the line, but still... what if she were to revive the server eventually? Again, if I made most of UN, it would mean I could realistically revive UN myself, even though Graal rules state only the last active manager could. So according to Graal rules, the work still belongs to the server, and the server belongs to the last manager.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Mr. Brightside
Wow. So I have virtually no ownership over anything I make?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 AM
In actuality, Graal supposedly owns it all. But really, why would you make something for a server and want to own it at the same time for your personal use? If you believe the server is not making any use of your work and instead just wasting it, perhaps take it up with the PWA and try to sort something out?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I think the PWA would be quite understanding in this case if the content isn't being used; Graal wants servers to succeed (more $$$ for Stefan/unixmad), so they're probably not going to say you can't use some unused content to create a better server.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Pelikano can only hope to improve
Everything uploaded to a server turns into the server's content.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
u guys isn't getting it, hes mad at HER for USING what HE scripted on hers server, TO BECOME staff on other servers, while the guys on the server she got hired on thinks SHE MADE it.

Amiright?
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 07-07-2009, 01:53 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas_Voice View Post
u guys isn't getting it, hes mad at HER for USING what HE scripted on hers server, TO BECOME staff on other servers, while the guys on the server she got hired on thinks SHE MADE it.

Amiright?
That's not what it sounds like to me at all. Sounds like he wants to use his scripts elsewhere, and she won't let him.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
You can get the content removed from the server if you made it, PWA's have done it in the past. If you make content for a server then they fire you, you are allowed to have the content removed from the server if you have proof that you made it and you didn't agree that everything on the server was the servers no matter what.

The original creator has the content rights before the server. (EX: Madj made Atrius, James USD sold atrius content to scrimps and someone got Madj to come back and say no)

However you can use the content you made on any server you work on if you have proof that you made it

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
That's not what it sounds like to me at all. Sounds like he wants to use his scripts elsewhere, and she won't let him.
Then you weren't reading good enough.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Yen tried to place copyrights on his scripts, it was funny when it didn't go how he had hoped it did when things hit the fan.

Also I'd imagine this is a widespread problem with people applying with other people's scripts. I know a fellow who has shown me quite the archive of many server's scripts and could fool any new development he wanted with them.

Hell I've even had a kid apply with my own dictionary script, of course he modified it to the extent it wouldn't work but still it was a good laugh.

I'd imagine calling her out and giving examples of the scripts she stole would be good, also I'd think she wouldn't be able to keep the lie going for long when she can't script what they ask for.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM
He's asking two things:
"She thinks I have to get her permission to use MY scripts on other servers."
- Which he sort of does, and:
"She also steals my scripts and uses them to become staff on other servers because she thinks they're hers."
- Which is pretty much wrong, I'm sure we can all agree.

Also, I don't think it's right to get your stuff removed from a server with PWA support just because you were fired. You have to remember you took the job TO work for the server, and to develop it. Just because things don't work out doesn't give any one a reason to basically take back months or years of progress.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Hell I've even had a kid apply with my own dictionary script, of course he modified it to the extent it wouldn't work but still it was a good laugh.

had a kid using my scripts that got stolen without my knowing from a server too, i tried to make him delete hes copy of it, but he denied that it was scripted by me...
i got mad at him and disconnected him
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you