Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Graal Kingdoms
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Kingdoms Management
NicoX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NicoX Send a message via MSN to NicoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
I'm all for reset. This is the only thing that could fix the economy and bring players back for more than two weeks at a time.

There isn't another option (besides extreme development, which isn't going to happen)
I would agree on a reset if GK goes Classic at all. But now the question is, what if we lose all the people from the past who wants to play again, because GK is classic?
So I doubt a Reset will ever happen.

-Nico
(GK Management)

Clash: Nico, I'm going to give you an example of good management.
Clash: One of my staff removed my RC and banned me.
Clash: I didn't ban or remove their RC after I got another one to fix me.
Clash: Do you know why?
Björn: Because you IP banned him ?

Stefan logged on.
(npcserver) has reset the attributes of Stefan
*Stefan: ah my client crashed

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoX View Post
I would agree on a reset if GK goes Classic at all. But now the question is, what if we lose all the people from the past who wants to play again, because GK is classic?
So I doubt a Reset will ever happen.
More Players > Dying Server

Edit: then again, players did pay just to play this server specifically.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
StormYs will become famous soon enough
A reset doesn't fix broken stuff, I agree that a reset will bring in players (on a short term) but these players will notice how broken GK is and leave.
This cycle will repeat unless the real problem is solved.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormYs View Post
A reset doesn't fix broken stuff, I agree that a reset will bring in players (on a short term) but these players will notice how broken GK is and leave.
This cycle will repeat unless the real problem is solved.
Well a reset would allow many bugs to be fixed that can't really be fixed now, too late. I would rather an alternative fix be applied but I don't see one. So if there was a reset a lot of the "broken" would be "fixed" and would look a lot different.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 AM
Mr. Rayleigh
MajinDragon is a glorious beacon of lightMajinDragon is a glorious beacon of lightMajinDragon is a glorious beacon of light
I'm still not all for a reset, but I brought it up as an option to address the short-term problem of the playercount and there being nothing to do. And it is because players like myself aren't aware of what the long-term holds and haven't been for half a decade now.

As I've mentioned in the past, a reset doesn't actually solve anything, even while addressing the short term boredom issues, those issues will surely come to plague the server again after a few years. Perhaps what I really need, and I'm sure a lot of others would appreciate, is an idea - the outlines of the master plan - of where our devs are taking us, and how long we are expected to wait.

Reverting GK's status to classic has been mentioned many times, and I've always thought the quality of GK just wasn't the same as other classic servers. But surely as it stands now, the quality in what our server has had to offer in the last several years has not held up against the other classic servers. Perhaps the middle ground then is to revert the status of the server to classic in the short-term, without a reset, while the long-term plans are worked on. After some transparency, and once the plans are put in place GK going back to a premium server would not bother me at all.

Ofcourse, the only objection to a temporary classic status is one of the companies finances, however, as it stands now, the subscribing gold players can't be providing enough income to the server to justify the current lack of quality.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
This is just going to end up in some kind of power grab.

Also, a 'reset' of player attributes will not actually fix the problems Kingdoms is riddled with. It wouldn't take long for things to get right back to where they are, just with smaller sums of money that haven't had the chance to accumulate over years. The problem of Kingdoms' economic divide is likely to happen again with some elements of the server, as will huge level gaps as well.

As far as leveling goes, the only way to level well in Kingdoms is finding what is worth outrageous amounts, and then exploit the hell out of whatever it is you're doing. The server has this problem because the 'archetypes' in the mudlib system were essentially built using a database dump of another game called Crossfire. There were a good number of enemies included in that database, and additional ones were added, such as Bomies and Holiday monsters. The problem with that, though is that not enough enemies were actually made to fill most of the levels up to 110.

In one of my blog posts, I have done my best to explain what happened with the most recent economic crash GK had. But, there was one that preceded it as well when the first alchemy system was replaced by the new one. When Dust of Piercing Vision became a popular recipe, people were able to obtain far more platinum, which made it worth much less, so people switched to diamonds. And yes, I know they weigh less. That wasn't the actual reason for the switch. Even now, though, there is still the problem of many rare items becoming extinct or rising in price because of some problem none of us probably knows about.

As much as I have tried to remain optimistic, I don't think GK is fixable unless a fair amount of things are re-designed from scratch. But unfortunately, both playing and developing for it seems to be an uphill struggle.

Last edited by Draenin; 02-14-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
GraalOnline Zone Manager
Tashkin is a jewel in the roughTashkin is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Tashkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Power grab?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashkin View Post
Power grab?
Users debating who should 'take over.'
Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
!
Andre2006 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Andre2006
Players need a way to actually get the items on GK.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Kingdoms Management
NicoX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NicoX Send a message via MSN to NicoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre2006 View Post
Players need a way to actually get the items on GK.
We are working on this in our current Updates.

-Nico
(GK Management)

Clash: Nico, I'm going to give you an example of good management.
Clash: One of my staff removed my RC and banned me.
Clash: I didn't ban or remove their RC after I got another one to fix me.
Clash: Do you know why?
Björn: Because you IP banned him ?

Stefan logged on.
(npcserver) has reset the attributes of Stefan
*Stefan: ah my client crashed

Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post

Also, a 'reset' of player attributes will not actually fix the problems Kingdoms is riddled with. It wouldn't take long for things to get right back to where they are, just with smaller sums of money that haven't had the chance to accumulate over years. The problem of Kingdoms' economic divide is likely to happen again with some elements of the server, as will huge level gaps as well.
A reset, indeed, would not fix economic problems. However, holy crap would it allow for other things to be fixed. Lets just take the number 1 debatable subject for example. Enchant Armour, right now items have armour stats that cap off at 90.. Unfortunately when GK was created (mix-n-match with c++) they did things oddly. Armour is capped at 90. So using an EA on it when it's already 90 wont do anything. So that makes it impossible to remove the EA's in the future.. a reset would allow the system to be tweaked for MUCH MUCH MUCH more flexability. ex: allow over 90 armour, but have it cap how much it uses to show player current armor, and calculate stuff. just a behind the scenes fix.

And there are other error's like this that GK is just riddled with, however theres no way to fix it without a huge amount of luck, or a reset. It has alot to do with how archtypes work.

i can say id be maybe a little bit upset if there was a reset, but to be honest. it wouldnt be as big of a deal as everyone makes it seems (ive been playing gk since 2002 so I EARNED alot of my crap and lost alot to scams in the mid 2000s). I also logged in thousands of hours 3000+ hours, so my exp and items mean alot lol.

The only right way to fix GK, IMO is for a total rescript and reset. To remove all the C++ dependant features and allow for more flexability in scripts.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 AM
The Nuke
Nuke_for_you will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
The only right way to fix GK, IMO is for a total rescript and reset. To remove all the C++ dependant features and allow for more flexability in scripts.
At that point why even bother with GK? Just make a completely new server
Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke_for_you View Post
Well, new server is new community also. GK itself is not bad, it could be alot better tho. There is being work done tho.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke_for_you View Post
As far as I understand that's what Draenin is working on.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 AM
ω
Seeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Seeya
if GK iPhone was finished it'd work for PC aswell with modifications