FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Malinko != scripter
Alex owns me in everything I do >=o! Either making it shorter and more complex or finishing stuff first *kicks.* <3!
Old 07-17-2004, 03:57 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
I'm not a good scripter . Storm remade my entire toy spaceship (which is now in the GC Prize Box on Classic as "Space Storm") from scratch, lmao, and it had like 3 less bugs and like 1000 less lines... lmao. Actually... I think I took it out of the closet and dusted off 1000 lines of my own before I gave up on it again, and then showed it to Storm. That was a pretty good thinking/learning script for me. So is my tailor script that I made, that works alright, but is unnecessarily big such as the toy spaceship was. It was a good learning script though. It taught me like what stuff to do and not to do in making a menu (like a weapons list, for instance). My #1 problem in scripting is that I can't do onwall checks for crap. My other problem is that I haven't grasped how to use arrays, which is probably because it isn't the kind of thing I use in every script I make. It's a shame someone can mention Kat and Malinko, though. Especially Kat. Kat isn't by any means a great scripter. He'll reply whining about me, I swear he will.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:04 AM
Banned
Python523 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan
Are you playing dumb Loriel?
... http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ary&va=sarcasm
Old 07-17-2004, 04:49 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python523

Heyyyyyyy.... I get it now. Thanks Jagen!!! ^-^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake13jake
I'm not a good scripter . Storm remade my entire toy spaceship (which is now in the GC Prize Box on Classic as "Space Storm") from scratch, lmao, and it had like 3 less bugs and like 1000 less lines... lmao. Actually... I think I took it out of the closet and dusted off 1000 lines of my own before I gave up on it again, and then showed it to Storm. That was a pretty good thinking/learning script for me. So is my tailor script that I made, that works alright, but is unnecessarily big such as the toy spaceship was. It was a good learning script though. It taught me like what stuff to do and not to do in making a menu (like a weapons list, for instance). My #1 problem in scripting is that I can't do onwall checks for crap. My other problem is that I haven't grasped how to use arrays, which is probably because it isn't the kind of thing I use in every script I make. It's a shame someone can mention Kat and Malinko, though. Especially Kat. Kat isn't by any means a great scripter. He'll reply whining about me, I swear he will.

Arrays are simple...
To set an array (variable);
NPC Code:

setarray arrayname,length; // or
arrayname = {12,18,25,...};

To access them
NPC Code:

arrayname[index] // ie.
arrayname[0] = 5;

Indexes start with 0, so
NPC Code:

this.test = {5,10,15,29};
say2 I-1: #v(this.test[1]) | I-0: #v(this.test[0]);

It would show a sign that looks like;
I-1: 10 | I-0: 5

Understand somewhat?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:41 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Eye of the Beholder, Stefan, Shadow Knight, Lance, Loriel, Jagen, etc
Old 07-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan
Understand somewhat?
Wow, so........ what's the word.... "simple".... Thanks for the description.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Quote:
Wow, so........ what's the word.... "simple".... Thanks for the description.
Anytime, need some more help? Just forum pm me
Old 07-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Quote:
I'm not a good scripter . Storm remade my entire toy spaceship (which is now in the GC Prize Box on Classic as "Space Storm") from scratch, lmao, and it had like 3 less bugs and like 1000 less lines... lmao. Actually... I think I took it out of the closet and dusted off 1000 lines of my own before I gave up on it again, and then showed it to Storm.
You just told me what you wanted and I made it... I'd made a similar thing (with a remote control car) before, so I already knew how it was gonna work, although i did change pretty much all the physical models. Looking at it, it was quite an amibitious script for your scripting ability at the time, so it's good that you learnt from it. You much better now than you were then.

Quote:
My #1 problem in scripting is that I can't do onwall checks for crap. My other problem is that I haven't grasped how to use arrays, which is probably because it isn't the kind of thing I use in every script I make. It's a shame someone can mention Kat and Malinko, though. Especially Kat. Kat isn't by any means a great scripter. He'll reply whining about me, I swear he will.
I wouldn't really put yourself down about the arrays, as once you grasp the concept, you wonder why you ever thought it was difficult. Onwall checking is just somthing that you can't really teach...

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 07-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo
Onwall checking is just somthing that you can't really teach...
lmao, I know... I've made an awesome script that checked for walls... Well, to model it. It showpolyed areas in each direction of the player until it hit the wall. I just couldn't remember what the hell I did, when I wanted to make an independent movement system for myself... even looking at the script.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimetsu
Biased? By what? The fact that I think you're incompetent? Am I supposed to disregard my opinion of you in a setting where I'm required to state my opinion of you? Don't be foolish.

Get over it, kiddo. If your defense is that you've never put anything remarkable in the public eye then, check it out, my statement was perfectly accurate. Maybe you do have some hidden skillz that you use when nobody's looking, but then Wan is still wrong to put you in the list. As far as you've shown, you're nothing special.

Kaimetsu, Ningnong, Malinko, and Loriel.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:56 PM
prozac424242 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to prozac424242 Send a message via AIM to prozac424242
I am defeinitly nowhere near the best list, especially since I am out of practice on npc scripting, and there a quite a few serverside npc commands that I do not understand. (Like how come string/flag setting with set flagname or setstring string,text does not work anymore?)

But once about two years ago I did make a car npc controlled with server strings, and one driver could give other players 'rides' in the car anywhere on the server, I did it with serverstrings and it was not too laggy even with a few passengers. It was on old Sanstrata, those were fun times. (except when it was being hacked)!

But anyone else who has been programming for more than 20 years please raise your hand ... I'm curious to see how many there are

Useful links:
Graal Stats
Client Script Functions-GS1 to GS2
Serverside Script Functions-Gscript page
Particle Engine-Player Attributes
Server Options-Admin rights-Gmaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admins
Thanks for developing and improving playerworlds and such
Old 07-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Banned
Python523 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac424242
But anyone else who has been programming for more than 20 years please raise your hand ... I'm curious to see how many there are
Time doesn't matter; quality does.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:29 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac424242
But once about two years ago I did make a car npc controlled with server strings, and one driver could give other players 'rides' in the car anywhere on the server, I did it with serverstrings and it was not too laggy even with a few passengers. It was on old Sanstrata, those were fun times. (except when it was being hacked)!
I remembered that. It's when none-p2p servers couldnt use lights, ganis, or npc servers. Or something of the sort.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Mister 1,000,000
GoZelda will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GoZelda Send a message via MSN to GoZelda
Chad... I guess. And Giltwist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
stefan is satan
I am the best.
[URL removed]Music or aural pollution?
Old 07-19-2004, 05:25 AM
Over Nine THOUSAND!!!!!!!
davidpsy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to davidpsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python523
Time doesn't matter; quality does.

Yeah but at least he has deturmination.

Forces greater than your self, can be over come.